Login

russian armor

The Western Front: My Reservations and why they're stupid.

29 Mar 2014, 00:33 AM

I stayed up til about 2 AM to watch Relic's announcement on their coming content. When I went to bed after watching it I was pretty unhappy. It seemed like the Eastern Front, a period of the War that I am fascinated by and believe to be far more important than the business on the Western Front, had been trashed for consumer dollars and the US Hollywood market. This is probably true. But it's unimportant.
I still have reservations and worries about the idea of having Soviets and Americans on the same map in action. But honestly, when it comes down to it. Who cares? I love my Soviets, whatever their imbalances, underpowered, overpowered and cheesy abilities. I'll always be a fanboy just because their history fascinates me. But that doesn't mean that Relic should just stick to the Eastern Front, because where was it going? What do we want? There's been constant complaints about DLC commanders and all the imbalances that have been spawned by them. If Relic had stuck to the Eastern Front, DLC commanders would have inevitably resulted, with rather bland Theatre of War content as well. Theatre of War is cool and interesting but it isn't enough to keep a game going. The release of the Americans and the Oberkommando De Wehr will.
People have been asking for new factions ever since the game released. Largely it has been for the Americans. It pissed me off no end, but the Americans and a German counterpart make the most sense. A German second faction on the Eastern Front would have been pretty easy, we've seen it with the PE in vCoH and now we're seeing for the OKW. A Soviet second faction would have all sorts of problems. All the major Soviet "branches" of their army, Red Army, Guards, Shock Armies, Tank Armies, Assault Engineers (considering what Shocktroopers are) have all been covered more or less by Commanders or in the core faction. To create a Soviet "shock army" or "Guards Army" faction would be extremely difficult, probably wouldn't differentiate enough from the base Soviets (after all, what kind of Soviet army doesn't have T-34s?) and wouldn't hold enough appeal.
Now look at the US. They have all new units, new equipment, new AT (which Soviets really could do with, I can't wait to have a 2v2 with Soviets and Amis) and the Hollywood Sexy factor that has been being created since the moment the US entered the War. Honestly, whilst I have massive reservations about the whole things even now, it's going to be a lot of fun and I cannot wait. The new German units we've seen look awesome, some features that are definitely going to migrate over to the Soviets (tank riders for one) look fricking awesome. Honestly, I cannot wait to see how Relic makes the Amis different and exciting from vCoH.
But there's more.

Look at how Relic are implementing these factions. You can buy one, or two, or more. You only need one to play. I'm making a few assumptions here, but I hope to whatever deity will listen that my assumptions prove correct.

The implementation (and my interpretation of it) is awesome on a pile of levels.
a) it significantly lowers the price to enter the game. If what I read is right, The US will cost $13. What I've read so far is that this will open up the one faction and allow them to play the entire multiplayer game and assumably the ToW DLC that the US get. That's great, I'll be able to force any number of my recalcitrant friends to play by simply showing them how cheap the game is at entry level. Then they can pile on the DLC commanders all they like.

b) It makes future factions super easy to make and market. This is what I find most exciting. This isn't being marketed as an expansion or anything, it's just more DLC. DLC always sets people's teeth on edge, but this is the virtue of DLC. It's easy to produce, sell and implement. From this Relic can make half a dozen new and different factions. Definitely what will next be on the list are Brits. Definitely. Along with that I can imagine a whole host of German and allied nations. A German Fallshirmjager-Luftwaffe faction is extremely likely to my mind, we've seen a great deal of many German arms of service, we haven't seen sight or sound of the Luftwaffe despite it obviously being in the original game. Now there's a possibility that they'll appear in the OKW faction, I doubt it however because they'd have shown it in the trailer, we'll see however. A German Gebirgjager army is possible... as well as the PanzerLehr divison possibly being able to have a faction all to itself considering amount of random things it has.
My fantasy is to have a German Mechanised faction along the lines of the Panzer Elite but incorporating elements of the British (portable command truck etc) with all the cool hardware of the German Gepanzerte PanzerGrenadier units, Half-tracks, Stummels, all those strange Marder versions as well as the 234/4 PaK-40 and even Pumas.

I'm sorry for the tangent there but whilst some people regard DLC as a pain and a waste of cash, which it often is, I think we have limitless possibilities down the road for Company of Heroes if all goes well. The turn around time for all this appears to be about a year, who knows how we'll be going in 3 years time?

There, I've said my piece, enjoy!

29 Mar 2014, 07:49 AM

great thread! i'm not letting this one get away without getting a few more views, your thoughts are really great, mate

but, i agree: what if it was like this?

single player campaign: $15
each TOW expansion: $10
ostheer faction $20 (you get all commanders + future commanders)
soviet faction$20 (you get all commanders + future commanders)
american faction $20 (you get all commanders + future commanders)
OKW faction $20 (you get all commanders + future commanders)
faceplate bundle $5
ostheer skin bundle $10
soviet skin bundle $10
american skin bundle $10
OKW skin bundle $10

i know every man and his dog wants his own nation in COH2.... but... seriously mates.. can you imagine a ANZAC faction? if they sold that for $20 and put that on the front page of steam, i guarantee pretty much EVERY SINGLE AUSTRALIAN STEAM USER would take a look at it, we're really patriotic, and we've been pretty much conditioned in school to have the proudest thoughts for our fighting ancestors, like holy shit the whole 'anzac' legend is insane. probably wont happen, steam in Australia is still pretty niche.
you'd need to include north africa or japan to make that possible tho, oh well.
29 Mar 2014, 07:54 AM

I wish Buckers, but I somehow doubt it'll get that good... Considering how much the full skin set costs now.

A season pass is still something that needs consideration... I don't think we've seen any of that, apart from the original THQ preorder...
29 Mar 2014, 13:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2014, 07:49 AMbuckers
great thread! i'm not letting this one get away without getting a few more views, your thoughts are really great, mate

but, i agree: what if it was like this?

single player campaign: $15
each TOW expansion: $10
ostheer faction $20 (you get all commanders + future commanders)
soviet faction$20 (you get all commanders + future commanders)
american faction $20 (you get all commanders + future commanders)
OKW faction $20 (you get all commanders + future commanders)
faceplate bundle $5
ostheer skin bundle $10
soviet skin bundle $10
american skin bundle $10
OKW skin bundle $10

i know every man and his dog wants his own nation in COH2.... but... seriously mates.. can you imagine a ANZAC faction? if they sold that for $20 and put that on the front page of steam, i guarantee pretty much EVERY SINGLE AUSTRALIAN STEAM USER would take a look at it, we're really patriotic, and we've been pretty much conditioned in school to have the proudest thoughts for our fighting ancestors, like holy shit the whole 'anzac' legend is insane. probably wont happen, steam in Australia is still pretty niche.
you'd need to include north africa or japan to make that possible tho, oh well.

how you talk and judging from your avatar, you are an australian redneck *giggle*

29 Mar 2014, 13:31 PM

how you talk and judging from your avatar, you are an australian redneck *giggle*

pretty sure that's a real redneck (of the american)

anyway...
what's wrong with bogans mate?
huh?

you one of those illegal immigrant types?

mate, you a Indian student? a small Asian kid? boatperson from the middle east?
...because, mate... pretty sure you know by now... australia's full... so fuck off

okay i'm joking and this is offtopic pls no ban let's keep talking about western front stuff
29 Mar 2014, 13:33 PM

Just so you know, they will STILL release ToW packs and commanders for the EF factions. Why do people think that because they've announced this they'll stop working on the EF factions entirely? Do you not realise that they've been working on this expansion for a while? They probably have seperate teams working on seperate things: a team working on the western factions and a team working on the EF factions or something.
29 Mar 2014, 13:38 PM

I understand the negativity surrounding the announcement, but I'm still super-hyped for the change of pace. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of commanders that will be available for the new factions though, since it seems like there will be a lot less when compared with EF ones.
29 Mar 2014, 16:08 PM

a team working on the western factions and a team working on the EF factions or something.

I wonder if the teams sit on opposite sides of the office.
29 Mar 2014, 16:20 PM

I understand the negativity surrounding the announcement, but I'm still super-hyped for the change of pace. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of commanders that will be available for the new factions though, since it seems like there will be a lot less when compared with EF ones.

Your avatar is awesome, that is all.
29 Mar 2014, 19:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2014, 13:31 PMbuckers

pretty sure that's a real redneck (of the american)

anyway...
what's wrong with bogans mate?
huh?

you one of those illegal immigrant types?

mate, you a Indian student? a small Asian kid? boatperson from the middle east?
...because, mate... pretty sure you know by now... australia's full... so fuck off

okay i'm joking and this is offtopic pls no ban let's keep talking about western front stuff

I didnt know you were that kind of racist in australia?

Is that you on the picture? Nothing to be proud of... it just looks pathetic.
29 Mar 2014, 19:17 PM

Screw off. No one wants a prick like you derailing this good thread. You stereotyped him, and he doesnt deserve to respond?
29 Mar 2014, 22:51 PM

I wonder if the teams sit on opposite sides of the office.

Probably. Setting 2 teams on the same side of the office would be cramped while leaving half the room empty.
30 Mar 2014, 01:38 AM

there you go, champ.

we use satire a lot in Australia. you need to stop taking everything so seriously.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 40
Russian Federation 32
Germany 689
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %