Login

russian armor

Third HBO WWII themed mini-series in development

19 Jan 2013, 21:47 PM
Donator 22

HBO confirmed yesterday that it has green lighted a 3rd WWII mini-series co-executive produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks centered around the 8th Air Force.

The project will use at its source material historian Donald L. Miller’s nonfiction tome Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-developing-third-wwii-miniseries-413632
19 Jan 2013, 22:48 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Dangit I still haven't watched The Pacific yet. Loved Band of Brothers though so I'm really looking forward to this.
19 Jan 2013, 23:13 PM

The pacific is much more graphic and does a better job of portraying war than BOB, but the story was much weaker. I hate love stories so I didn't have much time for it. I did still enjoy it. I'd love to see a story from the German perspective. Maybe a soldier who's captured half way through the series that would be kind of cool.
19 Jan 2013, 23:18 PM

Awesome, can't wait!
20 Jan 2013, 00:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2013, 23:13 PMRogers
The pacific is much more graphic and does a better job of portraying war than BOB, but the story was much weaker. I hate love stories so I didn't have much time for it. I did still enjoy it. I'd love to see a story from the German perspective. Maybe a soldier who's captured half way through the series that would be kind of cool.

You should read Sledge's memoir, I just finished it a few days ago and it was really good. (maybe best book I've ever read) :)
20 Jan 2013, 00:54 AM

Pasific is much weaker than Band of Brothers in terms of the atmosphere, combat and story wise. I think one of the main reasons are the geography and the character of the enemy.

Personally I don't find interesting watching Japs running wild into Mg fire endlessly which you see a lot. For example, the Battle of Bulge experience took only 2 episodes to tell in BoB and it was basically the challenge of the soldiers against the nature ( cold ) but in Pasific the hunger, heat and lack of water definitions went along nearly whole season which was boring after sometime and lost it's effect dramatically.

Another problem was the the type of units that we follow; in BoB you watch the Airborn soldiers and the scenes designed for them were really combat wise action however Pasific focus on the support units like Mortar or Hmg teams which doesn't make the same impact as watching Dick Winters running alone into SS Platoon or the fight took place in the French town. The asymmetric aspects of that two factions ( USa vs Japan ) made the series much more weak and uninteresting- braindead Jap soldiers running into Mg fire :/

So I'm sure Hanks and Spielberg tried their best, acting was really good but it didn't work as it worked for Band of Brothers. The factions, the geography, European theater atmosphere definitely more interesting than watching jungle fights. At least for me.

20 Jan 2013, 01:38 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I don't think it was the atmosphere or the unit choice, it was just bad storytelling. The Pacific wandered all over the place and you wound up never caring about anybody. I watched every episode, and I couldn't tell you about a single character in the entire series.

I'm enthused to hear that the production team that brought us BoB (a television masterpiece) will take another shot at WW2. Now that my expectations are low (thanks The Pacific), I hope they will impress me!
21 Jan 2013, 06:10 AM

I don't think it was the atmosphere or the unit choice, it was just bad storytelling. The Pacific wandered all over the place and you wound up never caring about anybody. I watched every episode, and I couldn't tell you about a single character in the entire series.

This sums it up, it wasn't the setting or anything it just that you didn't spend enough time with any one unit. In BoB you were with easy since their training till the end of hostilities, so you knew the characters pretty well by the end. In the Pacific you are with too many people for too short of a time.
23 Jan 2013, 18:57 PM

I want one about tanks :(
23 Jan 2013, 22:34 PM

That is awesome!!! can't wait!!!
but about tanks would have been epic indeed! perhaps it could be the 4th ? :)
24 Jan 2013, 00:03 AM

BoB is absolutely amazing. The Battle of the Bulge episodes are some of the best television that I've seen.
24 Jan 2013, 04:33 AM

One good aspect of "the pacific" was the background and title score ..

BoB - will always be the mark of standard i presume ...
24 Jan 2013, 04:52 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2013, 23:13 PMRogers
I'd love to see a story from the German perspective. Maybe a soldier who's captured half way through the series that would be kind of cool.

Read my mind. ^.^
24 Jan 2013, 05:45 AM

To be honest BoB is not so great:
1. In battle scenes 1 US soldier = 4-5 German soldiers
2. Some episodes are really boring (story of medic guy in Ardennes, story about capturing german officer on the other side of the river)
3. First episodes are way better, interesting and action-filled than last episodes.

But it's a great thing anyways - nice characters and story, cool atmosphere, amazing OST, veteran stories.
ntd
24 Jan 2013, 06:22 AM
Admin Black Badge

Lets hope that it's more band of brothers than the pacific, the pacific was a HUGE disappointment.
Kat
24 Jan 2013, 15:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jan 2013, 05:45 AMrejfor

2. Some episodes are really boring (story of medic guy in Ardennes

My personal favourite episode. That nurse saying "chocolat" was epicaly cute.

I almost slept during the first episode of Pacific, stopped halfway the second, never bother to watch anything more. BoB was so much better and Damian Lewis playing Winters is one of the most memorable roles I've ever seen.
24 Jan 2013, 16:31 PM

I DEMAND TANKS, I should make a petition ffs
24 Jan 2013, 18:27 PM

The Doc Roe episode of BoB is widely considered one of if not the best BoB episodes. It's surprising to me that you would find it boring. :o
24 Jan 2013, 18:41 PM

Jenni, well, this episode was about one of the biggest operations on the Western Front. I expected a lot of shooting, action and battle scenes. Instead of this I gained a boring story about medic guy.

I remember a moment when Germans began to attack ("c'mon, show me some action!") and what do you think? Of course they don't show an attack, they just send medic guy to the town (suppose they run out of budget, lol). Also this episode showed hard climate and supply conditions for American soldiers. Sorry guys but after some movies about WWII winter warfare of Eastern Front this episode looks... hmm... strange.

I say again - BoB is really cool but I think it's overestimated a bit.
24 Jan 2013, 18:45 PM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jan 2013, 15:35 PMKat

My personal favourite episode. That nurse saying "chocolat" was epicaly cute.

I almost slept during the first episode of Pacific, stopped halfway the second, never bother to watch anything more. BoB was so much better and Damian Lewis playing Winters is one of the most memorable roles I've ever seen.

Thats too bad because the last 5 episodes contained combat scenes that were much more brutal and personal than any contained in BoB. I too loved BoB and think it was the better series overall, but it wasn't because the battle scenes were better. You should give it another try.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★