Login

russian armor

Upgrade - a time and place?

14 Mar 2014, 19:51 PM

I've played both COH and COH2. Love the games, even with all of the balance changes over time. I've always been saddened to see the infield upgrades.

Armour skirts
PPSH's
Panzershrecks
G43s
etc.

I've been guilty of pressing the upgrade button and then moving into the field to fight and have my Shrecks come in part way through a tank battle and I think "that was timely" but should upgrades be only available through a HT, or even back at base? Should Engineers be needed to install armour skirts or the FHT flame? Should we have to make the decision of pressing the attack and resupplying troops with better equipment but at a cost of territory.

Just curious... what would happen to the early game as we would need HT's or resupply through bases.
14 Mar 2014, 20:11 PM

I've played both COH and COH2. Love the games, even with all of the balance changes over time. I've always been saddened to see the infield upgrades.

Armour skirts
PPSH's
Panzershrecks
G43s
etc.

I've been guilty of pressing the upgrade button and then moving into the field to fight and have my Shrecks come in part way through a tank battle and I think "that was timely" but should upgrades be only available through a HT, or even back at base? Should Engineers be needed to install armour skirts or the FHT flame? Should we have to make the decision of pressing the attack and resupplying troops with better equipment but at a cost of territory.

Just curious... what would happen to the early game as we would need HT's or resupply through bases.

Armor skirts aren't an upgrade. They are a vet bonus.

And yes I find that sudden upgrades are quite annoying. Especially when Pgrens go from a unit with no at to one that is very effective against it. Despite that though I think the inconvienience of having to bring them back to base is worse then the problem itself.
14 Mar 2014, 20:31 PM

It's more realistic, sure, but also tedious. For me the fun lies in the battle, not necessarily the logistics surrounding it.

CoH is a fast paced game, with the focus on arcade-like action. There are many immersion breaking things, and i don't think weapon upgrades popping in the middle of a battle stands out.

One ability that comes to mind is the hull down ability the Germans vehicles have, where you need pioneers to do the work. It's inconvenience. If the ability would function on their own, you would see that ability much more often.

Another example is the Men of War series, where you can call in a munitions supply truck, with a vast assortment of different types of shells. And you can transfer whatever you like via drag-and-drop from one vehicles inventory to another. Some people like that kind of detail, and some regard it as busywork.

TL;DR Gameplay wise i think it's fine as it is.
14 Mar 2014, 20:43 PM

Pretty simple answer.
It would turn into a chore with logistics on MoW.
15 Mar 2014, 08:34 AM

Interesting idea, but like others said, it would add unnecessary extra work that wouldn't really add much to the gameplay.

You already have to do some logistics, since you need to have resources for upgrade and they take bit of time.

So its not like schreck pops out instantly
15 Mar 2014, 09:33 AM
Patrion 14

Gameplay>realism and in this case it would really just be a chore. Fine as is IMO.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★