Login

russian armor

Which way do you move the map around?

15 Feb 2014, 21:09 PM

I'm 'newer' to CoH - trying to narrow down some hotkeys.

So there are a few options to move the screen around:
1. arrow keys (which I currently use)
2. mouse to edge of screen (sometimes use)
3. middle mouse
4. using the tactical map and clicking
5. clicking on mini map
6. other? ... changing hotkeys

Do you use dedicated keys to move the map around eg the arrow keys or do you go without that and do a combination of the above?

reason I ask is because currently I use the arrow keys but all the hotkeys are located on the otherside of the keyboard a,s,w,r,t etc ...

15 Feb 2014, 21:33 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Clicking on the minimap and pressing one of my control group keys twice (1-10).
15 Feb 2014, 21:43 PM

2 and 5, probably you should also use hotkeys for your troops,so that you can jump to them.

Btw, I also use the unit Icons in the upper right, if you doubleclick them you also jump to the unit (i think o_O), or you can just use it to retreat without even looking at the unit.
15 Feb 2014, 22:08 PM

2 and 5, probably you should also use hotkeys for your troops,so that you can jump to them.

Btw, I also use the unit Icons in the upper right, if you doubleclick them you also jump to the unit (i think o_O), or you can just use it to retreat without even looking at the unit.

so control grouping your troops is the way to go? - ya it would be hard to use the arrow keys to move the map around and then use control group or other hotkeys (unless you somehow changed the hotkeys and it doesnt look easy).
15 Feb 2014, 22:39 PM

Well, I personally don't think controllgroups/hotkeys for units are that usefull in Coh, like say in SCII. I see no use in grouping together units, because I want to handle them individualy. For single units I also don't need it because I can use the Icons in the upper right.
15 Feb 2014, 22:44 PM

Permanently Banned
arrow for moving not more than 30m(?-double view)
if there is event for exmaple another side of the map, click on minimap, i am never using the tactical map

hotkeys for attack move retreat, reverse basebuildings etc..

using control group only for specifing units, like MHT,Tiger, or 3 sniper(for example 4 unit are near each other, pretty hard to select manually them while howitzer shoot u, I press 1 hotkey( 3 sniper) and T for retreat, and 4th unit is like tiget for example)

that is all

i suggest you use this, or you will never hit the "good" level.

edit: watch coh1 streams from NOlcukystrike, Inverse or Darealshimx , i learn my micro from them, however they use tactical map a lot what i dont like, but when they do what i wrote over, they are pretty cool,fast. Or watch VonIvan or Barton, they are like me, but i am better(sarcasm) MVGAME

but remember, when in stream, somebody watching how medic bunker built, they suck. Game is all about time, and there is no time for wasting time.
15 Feb 2014, 22:54 PM

After trying all methods my favourite by far is using the tac map (with spacebar as hotkey for it)

Here are the reasons why:
-With spacebar i can easily get the tacmap without moving my hand for other hotkeys.
-For me its much more precise then clicking on the minimap and thus i never have to adjust my screen after moving across the map
-It keeps my mouse in the center of the screen where my units are, i don't have to move my mouse to the bottom left of the screen all the time as i have to do with minimap.
-Because i use the tacmap for almost every screen movement i get an overview of the battlefield every few seconds, which helps me keep track of units and prevents squad losses.
-I can move across the map faster when using tac map then when using the minimap (because of mouse positioning)

For small distances (about one screen size away) i use my mouse to the edge of the screen (with high movement speed).

16 Feb 2014, 18:37 PM

After trying all methods my favourite by far is using the tac map (with spacebar as hotkey for it)

Here are the reasons why:
-With spacebar i can easily get the tacmap without moving my hand for other hotkeys.
-For me its much more precise then clicking on the minimap and thus i never have to adjust my screen after moving across the map
-It keeps my mouse in the center of the screen where my units are, i don't have to move my mouse to the bottom left of the screen all the time as i have to do with minimap.
-Because i use the tacmap for almost every screen movement i get an overview of the battlefield every few seconds, which helps me keep track of units and prevents squad losses.
-I can move across the map faster when using tac map then when using the minimap (because of mouse positioning)

For small distances (about one screen size away) i use my mouse to the edge of the screen (with high movement speed).

Do you also use control groups for specific units? -

So it sounds like people dont use the arrow keys to move at all ... but rather using control groups for units or the bottom left map or the tactical map or even clicking on the unit in the upper right corner.

still not sure why we cant change hotkeys but already read numerous posts about this.
16 Feb 2014, 20:42 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I use 2 and 5. However in the past I used arrow keys until I got some advice from Sepha would told me that 2 and 5 is much better. Now that I am used to 2 and 5 I can't agree more as it leaves my left hand free to use hotkeys although I still never control group.
16 Feb 2014, 21:47 PM

I have a bit of different set up that I think is a bit more efficient than most.

First of all I use Rzer Tartarus, and love it. And move the screen in two whats.. with a little thumb stick and tactical map which I can access with with thumb as well by pressing the button that's right under the thumb stick. Before I had tartarus I used tactical (bound to space) map (bound to space) and middle mouse button.

I use the control groups allot. for types of units. for example when I have a sniper (I never spam them) I always have it bound to 4. All conscripts would hallways be 2. of course the button is useless for controling the conscripts but its great for reinforcing them, either from halftrack or across the map in the base. press 2 and spam f button.

also the units list at the top bar gets organized according to your control groups. Thus when you have all conscripts bound to one button they will all be in the same place. This is useful when you need to quickly find an unit that's afk or something.

Also, all the people who do not use tactical map need to get few slaps in the face I think :D not only it is very useful but necessary for some things - one thing comes to mind is partisan spy network. there is no way you would be able to make out all his unit types and position in mini map. It is also very comfortable for positioning your units around the battlefield. for example I can order my units to walk in the most backward way to the opponents cut of in seconds (which means allot of shift clicking different waypoints), while on screen you would have to move your camera and do it much slower and the precision needed is probably not possible on minimap (your units would step onto capture circle and give you away).

srry for the wall of text... I dont even have time to spell check it, I hope someone understand me... LOL

P.S. some people will say that these things are a matter of preference but I will have to call BS on it. There might be room for preference but some things just work better than others. Michelangelo could not have achieved the same work if he used a sledgehammer.
16 Feb 2014, 23:27 PM

Permanently Banned

I cleaned my laptop(CPU) so i can stream, however my sound went wrong MVGAME

i play something like this: http://www.twitch.tv/akosilles/b/503989497

get replay analizer and watch how many CPM you have, you should get at least min 50+ average.
17 Feb 2014, 03:55 AM

Looking at the CPM on the replay analyzer doesn't tell you anything simply because if you have 3x units selected, and you do one move command, that command is recognized as 3 commands
17 Feb 2014, 05:18 AM

Permanently Banned
Looking at the CPM on the replay analyzer doesn't tell you anything simply because if you have 3x units selected, and you do one move command, that command is recognized as 3 commands

yeah i know, just watch any pro coh1 stream, i used to it for this. It helps you to keep yourself fast.
17 Feb 2014, 12:02 PM

I use 2 and 5. However in the past I used arrow keys until I got some advice from Sepha would told me that 2 and 5 is much better. Now that I am used to 2 and 5 I can't agree more as it leaves my left hand free to use hotkeys although I still never control group.

I noticed that you are one of the only high level players that do not use control groups for your squads ... yet you are still ranked high.

17 Feb 2014, 15:43 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2014, 12:02 PMdulak

I noticed that you are one of the only high level players that do not use control groups for your squads ... yet you are still ranked high.

control groups are stupid, look upper.
17 Feb 2014, 16:04 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2014, 12:02 PMdulak

Well I probably should use control groups as this would speed up my actions however I tend to know where my units are and I click on their icons in the top right hand side of the screen if I want to select them. I will try and make an effort to use control groups in the future. That being said high level players are not necessarily those who use hotkeys or controls groups as it's mainly down to micro and skill. Although those that use hotkeys and control groups are generally much faster in their reaction times.
17 Feb 2014, 16:23 PM

I don't use control groups for mainline infantry, mostly because i can never keep track of which squad is where :p

I do use control groups for unique units like snipers (a number close to retreat and hold fire hotkeys), some vehicles and artillery like howitzer and mortars (to instantly barrage an area and keep track of the reload timer)
17 Feb 2014, 18:18 PM
Patrion 27

Middle mouse is my number one method of navigating but I also use autohotkey and have my mouse thumb buttons as the tac map and tab. Map gets better the more players there are in a game since you can really see the flow of the battle and having tab readily available is nice for getting units out of buildings quickly.

I also have capslock as F1, ctrl + Q = F2, ctrl + W = F3 etc to quickly go to my production buildings.
18 Feb 2014, 07:41 AM

clicking the minimap mostly

everything but arrow keys
20 Feb 2014, 09:54 AM

is there any way to change the hotkey mappings? or are we stuck with the two default options.

Since the "middle" row of the gridkeys is mostly useless for all combat (only pios have some building keys at A and S) units a WASD for the map and QERT for the upper row, Z-V on the lower would make a lot of sence. Maybe ctrl or caps for the tacmap and voila, all the useful commands right under the left hand. Never understood why that's so impossible.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★