Login

russian armor

Call to action - Let's Be Awesome Together

PAGES (25)down
12 Feb 2014, 21:46 PM

I think the problem here is that Noun is jumping to Point B on publicizing the game and making people interested in the game etc.

But he's skipping right over Point A which is right now the GAME is the problem.

FIX the game and then worry all you like about the streaming and the viewers and the casters etc.

Right now you have what, 3 casters that people watch of COH2 (Sib, Hans, VonIvan?) - and oddly enough most of the casters doing COH1 are getting as high (or often higher) levels of viewership.

You've had a LOT of community input on the games issues - why people don't partake in tournaments - why the community is toxic towards the game etc - fix those and the rest will fix itself.

I can certainly say that fixing COH1 and the DLC issues associated with COH2 will get you a lot of brownie points with a currently unhappy and shrinking fan base.

Why can't they do both?
12 Feb 2014, 21:47 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2014, 21:05 PMNoun
...If you're in this to make a career for yourself then there are other games you should target...
We've been focusing a lot of our resources towards supporting a specific site and a specific broadcast team. The great thing about recent events is that the decision to free up our focus to be much broader has been made for us. It's an exciting time....

The outcome of recent "incident"?
5 of 28 Relic postsRelic 12 Feb 2014, 21:48 PM

So basically this whole post is directed at what - 4 individuals that stream COH2 in any large (relatively speaking) numbers?

Wouldn't this have just been better to be done in a PM if it's pertinent to 4 or 5 people?

There's a lot of people making a lot of cool stuff. This isn't just about video. This is for people who create guides for COH2.ORG (or Steam). This is for people who create art work for fansites.

And who cares if someone has or doesn't have a large number of viewers? People can grow that. We want to work with anyone enthusiastic about the game, and that passion is far more important than viewer numbers or any thing like that.

If anyone is making cool stuff they want us to help promote, this is for them.
12 Feb 2014, 21:50 PM

Toxicity in general is a problem. Between casters, a big part of the problem is the dog piling and taking of sides.

I was in the chat rooms when some of that old Krebs and other stuff was boiling over and it was just a lot of people not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt, and instead just dogpiling on people at the drop of a hat. Many people were just following other notable personalities without knowing or considering the real context or circumstances.

It was base pack mentality at its finest, and it doesn't matter who was right or wrong.
12 Feb 2014, 21:50 PM

cool stuff
12 Feb 2014, 21:51 PM

I appreciate the sentiment but there are people out there who enjoy bashing on others and they thrive in an environment where there is near 0 accountability for their actions.

It may be sad to say and destructive in nature but this kind of behavior is also natural.
12 Feb 2014, 21:52 PM

What is the purpose of this big wall of text?
12 Feb 2014, 21:53 PM
Patrion 14

If this thread is open for general feedback for casters, I'd like to offer my ten cents as a non-caster who watches a lot of content and has got a number of friends into CoH2 from other gaming communities.

1. Noun is right - a caster with passion but perhaps not he best technical set-up is better than a slightly bored one with brilliant editing and skill. Luckily, with our most popular casters, we have folks who can do both (farewell TFN, for example). Among my favourite casters, bar none, are Rogers and Pounder. Why? because they are funny and love this shit. Their last cast with Barton was fucking brilliant, they were cracking up laughing most of the way through. That's why I watch replays.

2. This brings me onto my second point. Less is more. If R&P cast one game a month like that I'd be beyond happy. It's better to have one awesome cast than fifty meh casts.

3. Mind you, as Stalin once said about his army, quantity has a quality all of it's won. But if you are going to be prodigious then do what The Dane does. He casts himself, noobs, the best players, 2v2s and every permutation inbetween. And all the time he does it in a Teutonic accent with a free history lesson. He's another community legend.

4. So while I'm being fulsome in my praise, Noun is also correct about how respect is important. As a consumer of game casts (and listen to this --- I'd *pay* to watch the best ones) I like it when the community is a happy ship. I like drama as much as the next internet monkey but childish shit-slinging is dull.

Thanks for reading. I'm a cynical fuck most of the time but I want this game to work. Snark has it's place, but ultimately too much will drag us all down.

Best regards

BFW
12 Feb 2014, 21:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2014, 21:46 PMwuff

Why can't they do both?

Good question - why can't they?
12 Feb 2014, 21:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2014, 21:48 PMNoun

There's a lot of people making a lot of cool stuff. This isn't just about video. This is for people who create guides for COH2.ORG (or Steam). This is for people who create art work for fansites.

And who cares if someone has or doesn't have a large number of viewers? People can grow that. We want to work with anyone enthusiastic about the game, and that passion is far more important than viewer numbers or any thing like that.

If anyone is making cool stuff they want us to help promote, this is for them.

I'd love to see Relic introduce maps of month, we're 2 community maps are introduced into the auto match pool, allow players to vote after each match or check the veto's and at the end of the month Relic decide whether to keep it in the pool.
12 Feb 2014, 21:55 PM

Good question - why can't they?

Answer: They can.
6 of 28 Relic postsRelic 12 Feb 2014, 21:56 PM

I appreciate the sentiment but there are people out there who enjoy bashing on others and they thrive in an environment where there is near 0 accountability for their actions.

It may be sad to say and destructive in nature but this kind of behavior is also natural.

From my discussions with the active CoH casting community this hopefully won't be an issue going forward. There were some repercussions for specific incidents for some people, and at this point I feel like everyone's able to move forward.

I just wanted to make sure it was laid out there.

In general people direct a lot of anger and frustration around, and a lot of time it's at us here at Relic or at me. That's fine to an extent because we're professionals and this is our job.

However when it's directed at other fans just trying to make a thing, that sucks so much.
7 of 28 Relic postsRelic 12 Feb 2014, 21:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2014, 21:54 PMwuff

I'd love to see Relic introduce maps of month, we're 2 community maps are introduced into the auto match pool, allow players to vote after each match or check the veto's and at the end of the month Relic decide whether to keep it in the pool.

Map of the Month seems like a phrase I've used in conversation with someone at the office recently. Hmmm...

That would be a good way to highlight the pretty awesome work being done by the map makers.
12 Feb 2014, 22:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2014, 21:55 PMwuff

Answer: They can.

You sure?

Game hasn't gotten any better since release....
12 Feb 2014, 22:02 PM
Patrion 14

You sure?

Game hasn't gotten any better since release....

I'm sorry, but this is palpably incorrect. It's getting better. Slowly, but it is. Dude, if you feel that way why bother? I've walked away from a number of game franchises when I felt this way and I found it better to find something fresh than just sit around fuming.
12 Feb 2014, 22:03 PM

I think the problem here is that Noun is jumping to Point B on publicizing the game and making people interested in the game etc.

But he's skipping right over Point A which is right now the GAME is the problem.

FIX the game and then worry all you like about the streaming and the viewers and the casters etc.

Noun can't fix the game, that's other peoples job. And they will fix the game, trust me. It might not happen next patch, or next patch again, but the game will continue to improve incrementally and in 6 months it will play very differently from now.

However, it makes no sense to improve a game that noone is playing. This is why Noun is here.
12 Feb 2014, 22:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2014, 21:57 PMNoun

Map of the Month seems like a phrase I've used in conversation with someone at the office recently. Hmmm...

That would be a good way to highlight the pretty awesome work being done by the map makers.

Would you also introduce map rotation for vcoh again? There are some nice new maps made in the past, which were part of some tourneys too.
12 Feb 2014, 22:09 PM
Patrion 14

Would you also introduce map rotation for vcoh again? There are some nice new maps made in the past, which were part of some tourneys too.

* strongly agree *
8 of 28 Relic postsRelic 12 Feb 2014, 22:10 PM

With classic CoH we're focused on getting the game working properly first. Then once that's done we can see.

Hopefully going forward our community team will continue to grow and we'll have more bandwidth for that.
12 Feb 2014, 22:11 PM
Donator 11

Obviously Noun's post was inspired by #AmiGate ;). I hope something good comes out of this. I like Wuff's idea about maps.
PAGES (25)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS