Login

russian armor

Why don't you take part in tournaments?

PAGES (12)down
8 Feb 2014, 05:12 AM

oooh i get so nervous playing tournaments xD. Thats not enough of a excuse i reckon and besides i think im not that good so i'l be knocked out really early
8 Feb 2014, 05:32 AM

-Because you have to commit to playing at specific times.
8 Feb 2014, 05:46 AM

1) Would rather do a 2v2 tournament.
2) RNG too great a factor in COH2. The game pace (most matches end in under 30 minutes) mean less of a chance for it to even out, and many of the causes of really bad RNG won't be repeated anyway (Soviet mines, flamethrower crits, mortar squad wipes, ram success).
3) Time commitment to complete games. Reddit tourney is doing it the right way. If you make it to the semi-finals you should expect to do them in a short, professional time period, but below that, no 3 hour time commitments for a casual RTS, thanks.
4) Seeds. I understand we don't want heavyweights knocked out in the first rounds, but it's too discouraging.

If there are enough 1v1 players, I agree that it would be really beneficial to have divisions based on ELO. Then there would be no need for seeds. Relic should know better than anyone want the actual skill levels are like, and two divisions might be enough (roughly the top 50 1v1 players and everyone else). To be honest though, the skill cap is really low, and the game is less strategic than vCOH, so it's very hard to differentiate the skill levels of the the top 1%, 5%, 20% etc. In my personal experience around rank 200 I see a dramatic drop-off in skill, and above rank 40 I see a dramatic increase in skill (mostly micro and reaction time).

8 Feb 2014, 08:03 AM
Patrion 14

-Generall speaking i am just not good enough. No chance to win means it would be a waste of my and my opponents time to take part.
-It´s CoH2, there are endless threads here and in other places which offer informations why CoH2 is a bad game (No target tables, pay to win, vet system, po cap system, ressource system and so on)
-small variations of strategys. This was a problem in CoH1 and its a disaster in CoH2 as CoH2 is like CoH1 just smaller and simpler

CoH2 is not create for competitive play at all. It´s made for selling as mus DLCs as possible.
8 Feb 2014, 08:22 AM

Participating in tourneys takes A LOT of time. Currently there are a number of issues that keep me from investing time into truly competitive CoH2 games:

Short summary
  • RNG
  • Lack of strategic depth/options
  • Paywall Commanders - 'till they are nerfed
  • Gimmicky abilities

Explanations:
  • RNG
    Random unpreventable squad wipes occur on a regular basis - not once in a blue moon.
    Additionally many engagements like vanilla cons against grens depend entirely on RNG.
    More often than not: Cover, positioning < RNG
  • Lack of strategic depth/options
    Strategic depth:
    There is hardly any 'mid game'. A lopsided analogy would be the removal of all air units form SC.
    No target tabels means less variations in unit composition is encouraged.
    Essentially if a unit performs well it will do the same against any other unit. The only distinction is infantry and tanks.
    Strategic options:
    A lot of strategic options are commander dependant. This prevents fluid and original game play (doctrinal tank traps - really?).
  • Pay wall Commanders
    SNF went ahead and flat out banned 2 brand new commanders - 'nuff said.
  • Gimmicky abilities
    Everything has natural and/or vet1 abilities which range from awesome to useless.
    Doesn't look like there was a lot of thought put into that beyond: 'Let's give units a clickable ability at vet1!'
    As a result lot of these abilities are gimmicky and some are heavily RNG dependant (see 1).

EDIT:
This has nothing to do with tourney participation, but what the hell:
To add insult to injury some abilities look downright embarrassing. I cringe a little every time I see an AT nade flung across half the map.
8 Feb 2014, 08:51 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Time and scheduling. I expect to get knocked out early, so balance and prizes aren't really contributing factors. Like CieZ said, the way that the Reddit tournaments (and also ESL?) work is much more amenable to players like me who can only find weird times of the day to get games in.
8 Feb 2014, 08:56 AM
Patrion 14

1. No 2v2 tournaments.
2. Hard for me to dedicate an entire day to play since I'm old and got family. Ciez prop was good
8 Feb 2014, 09:00 AM

My main issue is the time zones. I live in New Zealand and would love to compete, but all the tournaments are held super late at night for me.
8 Feb 2014, 09:11 AM

i work a shift pattern, so often have different days off work, so for me it can be hard to play a tournament on a weekend, especially if its followed by further rounds on subsequent weekends.

It would be nice if the game could be played any time during the week and this could be arranged through a tournament section built into the game
8 Feb 2014, 09:26 AM

If we dont talk about balance problems and pay to win commanders ...

I would say - make leagues for different skill lvl players.
There are only a few players that can compete with barton, omgpop and other top players. Rest of the player base is just... not involved cuz they know they have 0 chance to progress even in the 2nd round.

SO.. yes, made a system that will show a player skill lvl and made a tournament for all skill lvls with prizes ofc.

8 Feb 2014, 09:30 AM

with all the RNG, games more like joke. 4v4 tournament?? lol. how do you make a competitive 4v4 match with 3 seconds delay?
8 Feb 2014, 09:42 AM

I took part in the first qualifier of SNF5 and Ipkaifungs beta tourney. Both were a lot of fun BUT also really really stressful since all games were played at two days. (SNF doesnt count though because i was kicked out in Round 3) I would rather like to see something smiliar to the current reddit tourney where players have to play one round per week so its less exhausting. Another problem is the fact that only top players have a realistic chance to be succesful in a tourney due to the used seeding system where lower and middle seeds will have to face top players pretty early. Maybe a league would be better ?

-20 players/teams
-19 games for everyone
-two games per round
-winner gets 2 points
-loser 0 points
-in case of a draw both get 1 point
-two games per week
-if someone doesnt show up he gets the loss
-if someone cant play due to work,school,university or whatever he gets the loss
-if two players are not able to find a date it is count as a draw (both get 1 point)
-the prize pool gets split over the first 8 players so theres a realistic chance for everyone to win something even its not much
-if there are enough players and referees maybe even arrange more than one league for different time zones ?

sure only people who could afford to play 4 games of CoH a week could participate but thats roughly what my CoH2 league would look like :D

@sluzbenik
no 3 hour time commitments for a casual RTS, thanks.

ironically you spent 1904 hours on a "Casual RTS". LOL
8 Feb 2014, 10:30 AM
Patrion 14

-not "e-sports" enough

As someone who would probably play in a tournament I'd say it was *too* e-sports.

We need proper leagues for mortals who can't spend 1000+ hours L2P. Any sport needs an elite, I respect that, but some of us would like to play at a lower level and win. Even if it is a tournament for low-level nubs.

I'd also love to play a 3v3 or 4v4 team tournie, I've got a bunch of online friends who I play with regularly and CoH2 multi-player is a blast. The 1v1 / 2v2 hardcore crowd are a small but over-influential part of the community.

They need to exist and be supported, but I think their requirements need to be considered in context to their size.

Oh, and where are the lobbies, Noun?
8 Feb 2014, 10:33 AM

-I only play teamgames
-I would like to see team-matchmaking or tournament matcmaking (like wc3 :D)

-I think a good idea to make the game more competitive should be, as a first step making the game free to play (dlc + comanders + cosmetics as the only income source)

-Next step optimice the game to make the game playable to everyone

-Third step make HUGE BALANCE, look starcraft 100% balanced game.
8 Feb 2014, 10:51 AM

Why do I not take part in tournaments:

• I am not good enough in the game to have any chances in getting far
  • (usually) lack of incentives (I saw the SNF had actually some nice prices though)
  • currently I don't play 1on1 in CoH2 (may change in the future; in DoW2 the switch from 2on2 to 1on1 for example was not difficult)
  • don't like being forced to play at specific schedules (and usually with very long amount of time to have to play in one piece)
  • often really bad organization of tournaments, leading to long wait times and stress in sorting things out with other players
  • having to deal with annoying people as enemies sometimes (it is one thing to meet them during normal automatch, but another to have to deal with them during a tournament)

What can Relic do to encourage me taking part in tournaments?

To be honest, I don't see many possibilities currently that would really make me take part in a tournament in the nearest future (as in, next tournament ;)). But a few suggestions anyway:

• sponsoring some prices to tournaments for the winners (nothing huge and expensive is necessary really, I would be perfectly happy with a tiny price just as a small additional motivation); maybe some little present even for rest of participants like a skin?
  • split the games on different days, don't put too many games in one day
  • keep an eye on the following of basic behaviour rules by all players
  • make sure that people play their games on the arranged dates, keep the organization of the games in your (or the tournament organizers') hands, don't make the players have to sort out everything (because this will just cause stress for everyone)
  • create some kind of competition that is also attractive for people who cannot compete in the highest ranks, but would like to compete with people closer to their own skill
8 Feb 2014, 11:41 AM

I've been playing in all the last CoH1 tournaments and the first CoH2 tournaments.
But somehow I've lost the will to even play 1v1 automatch anymore. The current meta is just not interesting, and when I lose in this game I actually feel abused, like I did everything possible, but there was just no way to win. CoH1 never did that.
I don't think I even want to be good at this game, I even feel like I've abused someone if I win. It would be embarrassing to be the top abuser.
I think these posts explain why:

I didnt play because I dont enjoy the game in its current state.

Excessive RNG, Balance, Input Lag, and the largest being Pay2Win Commanders. The game itself doesnt reward better micro or macro.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2014, 08:22 AMMadok

RNG
Random unpreventable squad wipes occur on a regular basis - not once in a blue moon.
Additionally many engagements like vanilla cons against grens depend entirely on RNG.
More often than not: Cover, positioning < RNG
Lack of strategic depth/options
Strategic depth:
There is hardly any 'mid game'. A lopsided analogy would be the removal of all air units form SC.
No target tabels means less variations in unit composition is encouraged.
Essentially if a unit performs well it will do the same against any other unit. The only distinction is infantry and tanks.
Strategic options:
A lot of strategic options are commander dependant. This prevents fluid and original game play (doctrinal tank traps - really?).
Pay wall Commanders
SNF went ahead and flat out banned 2 brand new commanders - 'nuff said.
Gimmicky abilities
Everything has natural and/or vet1 abilities which range from awesome to useless.
Doesn't look like there was a lot of thought put into that beyond: 'Let's give units a clickable ability at vet1!'
As a result lot of these abilities are gimmicky and some are heavily RNG dependant (see 1).

EDIT:
This has nothing to do with tourney participation, but what the hell:
To add insult to injury some abilities look downright embarrassing. I cringe a little every time I see an AT nade flung across half the map.
8 Feb 2014, 11:46 AM

I dont have the time, and im afraid im not good enough. With the direction COH2 took, compared to vCOH, I simply dont find the game interesting enough to invest the time required to compete in the top segment.

Surprisingly I had a lot of fun watching the finals, and learned a lot from doing so, so even though I didnt participate it got me more interested in the game again.
8 Feb 2014, 12:22 PM

- Some more balanced game would be fine
- more strategy is needed also
- think it is something for nerds
- terrible laggings, and I have a high end rig! (P2P isnt making fun, currently the lag is worst than in Beta!)
- boring commanders
- building sequence is to much the same in all games

Why should I take part?

Edit: Also the whiners and fanboys arn't helpful at all!
Blaming everything , nerf, op, or shit makes no fun and in a tournament this is much more. All those people making this game looking so bad that it isn't. There are some things but I will give it some time to be fixed.

PS: SU85 spam in automatch!
8 Feb 2014, 12:32 PM

- Only 1 or 2 decent viable strats (look at last snf)
- same goes for commanders,theyre are plenty but no variety
- community is pointing obvious inbalances between units yet no fixes (but assalut grens and ostruppen were fixed in an instant)
- RNG

I would join coh2 touranments if:
- you will work on game quality (things mentioned before) instead of marketing,isn't it obvious that quality things brings more people?

Atm game is fun to me as casual player but i can't simply see it as competitve game or esport.
8 Feb 2014, 12:42 PM

My children won´t let me.
PAGES (12)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 25
Peru 3
United States 1
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias