Login

russian armor

Stug III vet3 armor (video)

6 Feb 2014, 11:05 AM

it was rear hit + barrage from KV-2 = insta kill for stug.

If rear/front armor works same way like in vcoh, it felt more like a lucky frontal shot than rear.

In my opinion stug deserve a hp buff or cost decrease + range increase with rotation speed nerf.

6 Feb 2014, 11:08 AM

Does a Tank firing from the rear but hitting the front half count as a Rear Hit?
6 Feb 2014, 11:14 AM

It counts as a rear hit, since there is no "sidearmor" - frontside and rearside doesnt exist. Someone correct me if im wrong.
6 Feb 2014, 11:36 AM

German vehicle armor is underperforming anyways in this game. The T-34/76 was so much buffed that StuG and Panzer IV frontal armor is too often penetrated. It was 80mm of frontal armor ffs which was only penetrated at point blank range by the 76mm guns.

The nerf to German armor vet (no blitz with engine damage, less armor on vet 2) was also too much in combination with the buff of the T-34.

At least give the StuG it´s historical frontal armor. Either that or more range on the gun.

Stug can get some camuflage option as a AT gun.

And T-34 need the same armour as PzIV, if you want historical armour.
6 Feb 2014, 12:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2014, 11:36 AMAradan
That wouldn´t change a thing as the penetration of the 75mm/L48 would still be over their armor.

StuGs atm are meh. They get two shot by IS-2, ISU, KV2 and even T-34/85 with the mark target ability.
6 Feb 2014, 12:42 PM

It counts as a rear hit, since there is no "sidearmor" - frontside and rearside doesnt exist. Someone correct me if im wrong.

I wipped up a test in Worldbuilder and it does seem like a Tank firing from the front end and hitting the rear-side of another Tank still counts as a rear-hit, and vice-versa.

So the StuG in OP's video got rear-shot from the front, then killed by a KV-2 (those things are anti-everything).
6 Feb 2014, 12:48 PM

That wouldn´t change a thing as the penetration of the 75mm/L48 would still be over their armor.

NP, it is game.
6 Feb 2014, 19:07 PM

If rear/front armor works same way like in vcoh, it felt more like a lucky frontal shot than rear.

In my opinion stug deserve a hp buff or cost decrease + range increase with rotation speed nerf.

A shot from the front that hits the rear 1/2 of the tank still counts as a "rear" hit in the COH engine.
6 Feb 2014, 19:58 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2014, 19:07 PMlink0

A shot from the front that hits the rear 1/2 of the tank still counts as a "rear" hit in the COH engine.

So can you use attack ground on your tank that is front facing a target tank (similar to that sherman to the left of the tiger) to get rear armor shot or does your tank automatically target for the rear of the other tank if the shot is possible?
6 Feb 2014, 20:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2014, 19:58 PMspaz

So can you use attack ground on your tank that is front facing a target tank (similar to that sherman to the left of the tiger) to get rear armor shot or does your tank automatically target for the rear of the other tank if the shot is possible?

This game has shot collision, so even if you target the rear, the shot will hit the front first if the other tank is facing directly towards your tank.

However, if the other tank has his side exposed, it is possible to manually aim with attack ground the rear portion of that tank to get a rear hit. However, this is probably not a good idea, since tanks have a scatter so they aren't that accurate with attack ground.

And no, this game is not smart enough to target rear armor on its own.
6 Feb 2014, 20:33 PM
Patrion 14

Bottom line about T34...

Can you imagine a vCoH Sherman doing the sort of damage to a Panther as the T-34 does.

Because it's the same calibre gun, right?
6 Feb 2014, 22:21 PM

I can´t stand all this whining about poor Russian tanks.

Actually Russians get out pretty well with their armor. Realism is already flipped in their favor. Their outdated heavy tanks (KV-1) deflect shots, their outdated T-34/76 goes through German frontal armor. Their Su-85 with primitive optics gets superb range. ISU-152 and IS-2 get a ridiculous high rate of fire. And on a regular basis German heavies can be penetrated by 85mms.

Yet that isn´t enough. God forbid the StuG gets buffed.
6 Feb 2014, 23:29 PM

I can´t stand all this whining about poor Russian tanks.

Actually Russians get out pretty well with their armor. Realism is already flipped in their favor. Their outdated heavy tanks (KV-1) deflect shots, their outdated T-34/76 goes through German frontal armor. Their Su-85 with primitive optics gets superb range. ISU-152 and IS-2 get a ridiculous high rate of fire. And on a regular basis German heavies can be penetrated by 85mms.

Yet that isn´t enough. God forbid the StuG gets buffed.

Try to play as Soviet and you will see for yourself.
6 Feb 2014, 23:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

i want the stug to have cloak like an at gun regardless whether they buff its hp or not. i think it gives it so much as a unit it will actually have multiple ways of using it.

7 Feb 2014, 02:03 AM

German vehicle armor is underperforming anyways in this game. The T-34/76 was so much buffed that StuG and Panzer IV frontal armor is too often penetrated. It was 80mm of frontal armor ffs which was only penetrated at point blank range by the 76mm guns.

the penetration of the t34 went up from 75 to 80. That's not even a buff to me, the thing has a damage buff, but it's still not as high as a panzer IVs damage.

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2014, 11:36 AMAradan

No way, Late war Panzer IV armor is way better than t34 armor. Ingame and in real life.
7 Feb 2014, 03:25 AM
Developer Relic Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2014, 23:32 PMWiFiDi
i want the stug to have cloak like an at gun regardless whether they buff its hp or not. i think it gives it so much as a unit it will actually have multiple ways of using it.

It would also make it more unique then it currently being a cheaper, worse SU-85 aside from the stun shot.
7 Feb 2014, 21:00 PM

In theory "sidearmor" exists... (I think). Well, not realistic like in WoT, with impact angles and such.

But we can say: The further you are behind the enemy tank, the greater the chance to hit the back half of the sidearmor. If you shoot from 90° at the sidearmor its 50/50 if it hits front or rear armor.
If you drive past the enemy the chance for a reararmor hit increases. If you dont manage to get to the 90° you will have a lower chance to penetrate.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 17
United Kingdom 144
Germany 25

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak