Login

russian armor

Custom Maps contest on the horizon

20 Jan 2014, 19:53 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

The activity in this forum has been awesome. A Custom Maps contest will surely be announced. Would you guys be into that? What kinds of prizes would you be interested in? Which map formats should be in the contest? What kinds of dates and deadlines should there be? Would you be interested in helping organize such a contest? Should there be a custom map tourney where the players play the maps and give feedback before the winners are announced and the final submissions are due?

I would like to see the winning maps put in the game, of course! Help us talk about/think about how this should work, and we'll try to help make it happen.
20 Jan 2014, 20:15 PM

"brainstorming"
maybe multiple categories, like competitive maps(2-4 player maps) and team-game-maps(4-6-8 player maps).
a small tournament to determine the "best game-play" map sounds like an interesting idea.
20 Jan 2014, 20:43 PM

Too bad my study keeps me too busy to create another map atm.

i agree with this multiple categorie idea.

Addionally the 1v1 map that wins the contest will be in the next season of SNF.
20 Jan 2014, 21:40 PM

This is what I was waiting for!
We need better 1v1/2v2 maps than what we currently have available, and I'm sure there are a lot of good custom ones out there. We just need something like this to weed them out and find the gold...
20 Jan 2014, 22:11 PM

This is awesome Ami. I think here ought to be a category for each type of map (1v1/2v2/3v3/4v4). I also think the designer should have to enter his/her map into one of the categories. For instance, even if your map is 2-4 players, the designer should enter the map for either 2 OR 4 players.

I think the best prize would be to have the map featured and used in some sort of tourney. I believe there are some good maps out there that with a little bit of input and play testing, could be fir to go into COH2.
21 Jan 2014, 00:39 AM

Yeah,nice idea!! Let the show begin! :D
21 Jan 2014, 18:26 PM

As far as prizes go, maybe a full scale working replica of your favorite WW2 tank!
21 Jan 2014, 21:22 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Honestly, I can't think of a better prize than having a map included in the stock list, but with WS fully functioning (for some of us, at least... <444>_<444>) that kind of seems redundant!

But yeah, I completely agree that we should have categories for each map variant, as there are just so many entries out there! I'm sure everyone would agree that the game needs more maps, period, so why limit the winners?

As for a time period, I really wish that I could compete like I used to! Before I started working, a 1vs1 map would be a 24 hour project, but now, they take me weeks! Would a month be asking too much?
Only Relic postRelic 21 Jan 2014, 21:48 PM

Ami, before you announce anything shoot me an email. I think there's some really exciting opportunities here for us to support this.
25 Jan 2014, 22:50 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

29 Jan 2014, 23:52 PM

30 Jan 2014, 01:27 AM
Patrion 14

Any intel whatsoever would be kindly appreciated.
30 Jan 2014, 04:03 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

It's just a brainstorming thread. So pls keep offering up suggestions. As with anything we do, we would need volunteer staff to help organize and administer such an event. Got ideas? Post em up.
30 Jan 2014, 15:51 PM

What about multi-hour maps? I don't have any expectations, but the primary map I've been working on, is designed to take at least an hour long to play through, with an unfair advantage. If equal footing, it can go back and forth multiple times, and take over 4+ hours easily. It potentially could be an amazing competition map, but I haven't found any test subjects willing to endure such hardship.
31 Jan 2014, 18:54 PM
Developer Relic Badge

A thought just crossed my mind (and this isn't a competition idea, so much as a reward idea):

Would it be possible for the winner(s) to have vehicle camo made specifically for their maps, accessible to the community? Consider how many options there would be with a variety of patterns and the three/four main colours on your map.
31 Jan 2014, 19:02 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

It's just a brainstorming thread. So pls keep offering up suggestions. As with anything we do, we would need volunteer staff to help organize and administer such an event. Got ideas? Post em up.

-Themes such as abandoned villages, harbours, winter tank battles
-Give us a resource layout and work from there
-Odd resource requirements, maps with the normal 10 strat/2muni and 2 fuel are not allowed.
-Assymetrical requirement
-reallife battles reenacted in coh2 like relic does

but honestly I would prefer if the contest would be to allow all kind of maps :p
31 Jan 2014, 21:37 PM

"brainstorming"
maybe multiple categories, like competitive maps(2-4 player maps) and team-game-maps(4-6-8 player maps).
a small tournament to determine the "best game-play" map sounds like an interesting idea.

I like the idea of multiple categories too.
-Competitive 1v1
-Competitive 2v2
-Team 3v3
-Team 4v4
-CompStomp Co-op 2v2
-CompStomp Co-op 3v3
-CompStomp Co-op 4v4

Maybe Competitive and Team maps are more asymetrical, with more strict guidlines regarding balance and gameplay.
CompStomp Co-op might be more focused on artwork, and acceptable of choke points and symetrical design.

Also, maybe a "remake" contest of COH1 maps. And maybe an early stage contest, where current "finished" maps can go in early, while a later stage would be for maps being worked on specifically with the contest in mind.

EDIT:
And be sure to get PCGamer involved. :P
31 Jan 2014, 23:55 PM

I like the idea of multiple categories too.
-Competitive 1v1
-Competitive 2v2
-Team 3v3
-Team 4v4
-CompStomp Co-op 2v2
-CompStomp Co-op 3v3
-CompStomp Co-op 4v4

Maybe Competitive and Team maps are more asymetrical, with more strict guidlines regarding balance and gameplay.
CompStomp Co-op might be more focused on artwork, and acceptable of choke points and symetrical design.

Also, maybe a "remake" contest of COH1 maps. And maybe an early stage contest, where current "finished" maps can go in early, while a later stage would be for maps being worked on specifically with the contest in mind.

EDIT:
And be sure to get PCGamer involved. :P

tbh what i ment by multiple categories was like 3 categories whit 1-3 winners in each for the main "map sizes" (2 - 4), (4 - 6) and (6 - 8)
1 Feb 2014, 00:04 AM

Just a brainstorm here...something like this, with the categories being examples? Most likely, something different...

1v1:2v2
-Competition:1st, 2nd, 3rd
-Co-op:1st, 2nd, 3rd
-Remake:1st, 2nd, 3rd
2v2:3v3
3v3:4v4

1 Feb 2014, 10:09 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Proposal Rules for contest maps

Judges
13 members shall belong to the judges, an odd number to avoid ties:
5 members of the community (Ami, Marcus, ect)
4 members of relic (Eagleheart, ect)
4 members of prominent players (Barton, OMGPOP, and players who play a lot 3v3/4v4).

Voting system

First would have to ask permission to relic, for use in the votes of maps.
There were used these 8 criteria, which there will be necessary to value from 1 to 10 points.
These 8 criteria are to relic, the only link I can see registered in the beta.
Evaluating Maps

Groups
Groups 1v1; 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Groups 2v2; 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Groups 3v3; 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Groups 4v4; 1st, 2nd, 3rd
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L