Login

russian armor

How was your free weekend?

bC_
Only Relic postRelic 20 Jan 2014, 18:41 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Just gathering some of your thoughts to the free weekend; what worked what didnt etc.
20 Jan 2014, 18:46 PM

The free weekend was useful because I got to try out new commanders. The abrupt ending of it, while I was in game that crashed my computer, was not.

Also after having played a lot of these new commanders I can say we are still badly in need of a balanced game to play interesting matches.
20 Jan 2014, 18:48 PM

All I did with the free weekend is play with the Partisan tactics and Urban defense commanders. I find both to be fun but impractical.

Overall, I found Partisan tactics to be fresh and fun like Osttruppen, but not effective for a real match. I still need my IS-2/ISU/soviet industry.

Urban defense I found mostly plain outside of the Forward HQ, which has use in larger matches (3 v 3, 4 v 4) where the trekking distances are large.
20 Jan 2014, 18:48 PM

I have to say the lack of the old style COH game lobby was very difficult if you planned on multiplayer - I had to drop on several games when it was obvious the team was consisting of players working out what to do etc.

Lag seemed to be increasingly worse also.
20 Jan 2014, 18:52 PM

Lag seemed to be increasingly worse also.

This.

In pretty much every game I played there was a period of a minute or two where the game would freeze completely for both players.

Not massively annoying but I've never had that problem before
20 Jan 2014, 19:40 PM
Donator 11

I tried some of the commanders i dont have, the ones not included in CE. And i must say even if they were free i probably wouldnt play with them. They may work in 3v3s and 4v4s but since i pretty much only play 1v1 and 2v2 they are not interested enough for me. I hope we get some more tryouts of the commanders in the future before buying them, especially when tje new ones are released.
20 Jan 2014, 19:53 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Manage to try all the DLC commanders and that made me happy :)
Special mention to Partisan and maphack ability :P
20 Jan 2014, 20:00 PM

;_; i didn't get to play against any brand-new players and stomp them like i normally do in coh2 due to lolmatchmaking which was very ironic
20 Jan 2014, 20:01 PM

Free weekend confirmed that the Elite Troops Commander is the cancer of this game.
20 Jan 2014, 20:09 PM

It was interesting to try the commanders that I don't have.

Unfortunately I didn't have much time for gaming in the free period so hopefully this offer will be repeated soon.

Thanks for the opportunity!
20 Jan 2014, 20:18 PM
Donator 11

It was a great chance to try commanders not included in standard edition. Though I only found time to play few games with Elite and Industry Commander. Elite Commander is OP (not that we didn't know it before ;)
20 Jan 2014, 20:25 PM
Donator 11

A couple of my friends tried out the game.

For my part, I'm totally against any DLC commanders so I didn't even bother to try them.

Happy to see that a lot people seems to be interested by the game let's hope they will continue playing it though after the weekend and a few weeks.
20 Jan 2014, 20:25 PM

I leveled to 100 in like six games. No lags no issues. Many ostheer players have played with elite troops doctrine, this helped me to develop few nice tactics against vet three grens and tiger ace.
20 Jan 2014, 21:03 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

The free weekend was a great idea for introducing the game to potential new players. This is the kind of thing that gets the community growing. On a personal level I also tried out the commanders which I don't have and it resulted in the purchase of the KV-1 commander. I had a lot of fun using the KV-1s and that beast of a howi ^.^.
20 Jan 2014, 21:15 PM

I had a lot of fun trying out the Luftwaffles commander. I think it's a great example of a fairly balanced addition that introduces an interesting play style.

Still, it's a lot easier to play with commanders that include heavy tank call-ins. It's way too easy to get an IS-2 or Tiger with little map control, and easier still to get a 2nd and 3rd one after that.

Hopefully that will be taken care of in the next patch.

At the other end of the spectrum, Urban defense and both community commanders are underwhelming.
21 Jan 2014, 12:59 PM

I sent the link to the Steam announcement of the free week-end to a couple of my friends. None of them eventually tried it out.

And tbh. I never managed to myself.

I understand that such an offer can't stand forever, but perhaps one week-end is too short time if you want to reach persons who have a life.
21 Jan 2014, 19:03 PM
Donator 11

Ive played alot games vs ai with friends of mine who don't now COH2 or any of its predecessors at all.
But without any lobby games its hard to show them the way how this game is REALLY played.
Few of them tried automatch and had their first frustrating experience.^^

It was like, "Nah, you dont need 6 mgs and all those bunkers to look down this vp" - "This what? And why are my mgs not doing any damage to that tank?" :D
21 Jan 2014, 20:29 PM

was preparing for exam =(

but at least tried Partisan tactics commander, they spawn with panzerschreck sometimes, but they shoot it once and then die, lol
22 Jan 2014, 07:48 AM

I had fun, I was only there for Friday due to a busy weekend though.

I played around with Irregulars for a couple games before my teammates told me they were free.. After that I switched to Partisans, had fun with them although their use is limited after the first call-in. Played a bit of Urban Defense Tactics but I'm no good with it, Partisans were more fun despite their limited use.

I also played with the Osttruppen Commander, the guys are amazingly weak, but they make a good cheap rear-echelon unit. I also played Elite Troops commander, I'm bad at it and typically struggle, but the Tiger Ace instantly turns the game around. I took on 2 T-34's and an SU-85 and came out with barely a scratch, 126 kills by the end of one game.
22 Jan 2014, 08:07 AM
Patrion 14

Played some games too, my first games since about 4 months btw. Tried the new op commanders and won every single game. Balance seems to have deteriorated. So yes, my free weekend was a success and i decided not to play CoH2 again for the next lets say 8 months.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★