Login

russian armor

Penal Battalion anyone?

• This thread is locked
PAGES (5)down
10 Mar 2014, 15:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2014, 14:35 PMCruzz
Jesus christ what is up with people thinking Assgrens are bad for their cost? Try making 2-3 assgrens without T1 and then straight to T2 for PGs and T2 vehicles, it's the easiest way to play germans really, you just attack move forward with your massive automatic weapon blob and the only thing that can reasonably stop it now that shocks are 2cp is several maxims, and one mistake with those will leave them all decrewed. If you try to use penals against this, you will lose pretty much 100% of the time because the following up scout car/flameht in a couple of minutes will laugh at your penal blob. For that matter even the assgren blob will laugh at penals because they'll have 3 squads for every 2 you field early game.

If you're complaining about how their price makes them hard to use in a balanced build, I guess I can kinda relate, but if anything they're too powerful for their performance when skipping T1 even at 320mp.

Oh and whoever thinks penals can actually beat an LMG gren squad, dream on. You need a flamer or a vet advantage for that to happen, and guess how much vet advantage a 360MP tech-requiring unit has over a 240MP one. Meanwhile with the flamer it's 360MP/60muni (and required tech and a more specialized unit) just to barely beat a 240/60 muni supergeneralist unit.

Your a better player then me for sure but I have a feeling you dont use Penals as much as I do.

I always expect every German player to spam Agrens if they have it equiped. I build Penal Bat as my first unit script second.

I kill the first Agren that goes for my cut off and his second buddy comes right after. Script Merges. Beat the Agren retreat script. Second Penal on its way. Reinforce Script.

Next Agren arrives at my cut off. Retreat Penal. Second Penal destroys Third Agren.

Pgrens arrive. By this time I usually have inflicted heavy damage and have some vet. Upgrade to flamer and mass Penals after the Pgrens.

I really dont have too hard a time beating Agrens at all. But I do have to build Penals to do it and give up T2 and its alot of Micro and a huge investment against the more skilled Pgren spammers.

All the while engi is cutting off their muni.

Granted if I anticpated incorrectly and they dont spam Agrens I am totally hosed.

Due to how SOUNDLY Penals beat Agrens even up close I dont think Agrens are worth 320. All that needs to happen is increase the call in time and problem is solved.
10 Mar 2014, 15:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2014, 14:23 PMDerBaer

Thank you for studying the spreadsheets, man.:thumbsup:

Is there a point? Is it incorrect? Or do you think that Penals performing worse than cheaper squads that are more flexible or equal cost squads that totally outclass it is ok? If so...well...I guess the T34/76 should always beat the P4..................
10 Mar 2014, 15:25 PM

Is there a point? Is it incorrect? Or do you think that Penals performing worse than cheaper squads that are more flexible or equal cost squads that totally outclass it is ok? If so...well...I guess the T34/76 should always beat the P4..................

I guess they got used to it.
You know, Tiger, vs IS-2 relation in direct combat.
10 Mar 2014, 15:29 PM

AT least there is something the IS2 does better than the tiger. There is NOTHING a Penal does better than a G43 Gren. Let alone one with Purchased Vet.
10 Mar 2014, 15:47 PM

Your a better player then me for sure but I have a feeling you dont use Penals as much as I do.

I don't use them that much now because I like to win, something which is pretty much impossible if I try to make penals against a player of roughly equal skill in the current patch. It was better last patch and I had some success with them, but even then I considered them a novelty unit. Fun to have and people don't expect them but ultimately they don't offer anything over more conventional choices like scripts, guards or shocks except for more freedom with doctrine choices.

I kill the first Agren that goes for my cut off and his second buddy comes right after. Script Merges. Beat the Agren retreat script. Second Penal on its way. Reinforce Script.

So you are playing against players who will actually send in their first assgren completely alone at you? No matter what you were building you'd win against that easy, and there is absolutely zero reason for the german player to not wait until he has two assgrens before pushing.

Even in this completely ridiculous scenario the second assgren would push your penals off your cutoff. Remember that the second assgren will be out before you even finish building T1.

Next Agren arrives at my cut off. Retreat Penal. Second Penal destroys Third Agren.

Is your opponent banned from having two or more units together at once? Because it sure sounds like it.
10 Mar 2014, 15:54 PM

No this is just wait happened last game against it. He wanted to keep me defending my cutoff and keep early pressure up. I am sure his idea was to blob them but I kept ahhnilating them and he had blinders on and kept thinking if he kept pushing he would win.

It was actually hard to deal with at first but I bled him badly.

I use Penals alot. Winning isnt as important to me. I think Penals are fun to use but UP overall on may levels.

But for me its the easiest way to beat Agrens.

In everygame Agrens were spammed I have beaten the crap out of them. Its an easy win at my skill level.

Even 1 Penal and 1 Script will waste two Agrens. Just keep merging the Penal bat to keep its firepower up. This is a guaranteed Vet 2 or vet 1.8.

Pgrens are what I struggle with. Agrens are easy mode.

Scripts are a better choice with Top 100 micro and up. But for us mere mortals all the micro I need to worry about with Penals is merge.
PAGES (5)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS