Login

russian armor

Russian Anti Tank Rifle Blind Magic?

16 Jan 2014, 10:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2014, 10:10 AMwongtp
are you guys serious that this button ability is a problem?

Personally I don't like the mechanic but I don't see it as a problem.

16 Jan 2014, 11:31 AM

So then infinitely combat wise expert, what is to be done about German armor superiority?
Simple as that. If the Russian player goes for IS-2s or T-34/85 with mark target, there is no German armor superiority. At best a slight advantage, but nothing to speak of superiority.

I'm willing to bet $$$ that you've never actually been shot at, let alone by a 30mm bullet, especially while inside of a tank. I'd ask you to delete your idiotic conjecture but I'll let it stand so everybody sees what an arm-chair tactician you are.
Why are you talking of 30mm bullets? I never mentioned those. There are reports of 20mm bullets causing what I described earlier.

If a DP can button and a MG42 can´t, that´s silly. I know it´s in the game for balance reasons, but I´m not allowed to even mention that this is silly? It wasn´t a bout the noise but how long you have to stand the fire. Compare a belt fed MG with 1250 rounds per minute to a 50 shell drum MG. I think even a person like you can do the math.

There´s so much anger in your statement that I´m sure you are the one who is making a fool out himself. Good luck getting over your issues.

Edit: MazerRackham, ingame name: "Soviet". I think this doesn´t even need further explanations. I´ll try to comments something positive about your favorite faction next time, comrade. ;)
16 Jan 2014, 14:17 PM

I kind of like to try and justify it in my mind that the Guards Rifle infantry are the only ones who are trained in 'buttoning' an enemy tank, or the only ones who have the experience/knowledge to try and do it in the heat of battle.

It's silly, but I think it's a cool/fun ability in the game. I miss the British yelling 'POKE 'EM IN THE EYES!' though.
22 Feb 2014, 03:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2014, 14:17 PMMadeMan
I kind of like to try and justify it in my mind that the Guards Rifle infantry are the only ones who are trained in 'buttoning' an enemy tank, or the only ones who have the experience/knowledge to try and do it in the heat of battle.

It's silly, but I think it's a cool/fun ability in the game. I miss the British yelling 'POKE 'EM IN THE EYES!' though.

Such good times men, when the brave tommys rush pass MGs and grens to stand right before the barrel of a Stuh 42, not like current guard who seems to drop the DP-28 as soon as something hit them.
22 Feb 2014, 09:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jan 2014, 06:09 AMAgiel
The idea of "buttoning up" a tank was not totally unheard of during the Second World War II and was one of the ways recommended of dealing with a tank if you were lacking in full-on anti-tank weapons in US Army training videos:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/1QgXuhv7-54?t=15m22s[/youtube]

Those are moral videos, designed so fresh infantry wouldn't run away when they see tank approaching.

In reality most of the soldiers who were in situation where they had no choice but to fire their Bazooka's or AT rifle grenade on middle and heavy tanks ended up dead barely scratching the paint.

Bazooka, recoiless rifle, AT rifle nade, AT rifle, etc were last resort weapons that gave infantry in desperate situations some sort weapon to try their luck.
Solider really needed to be lucky and disable treads on the tank or have some lucky shoot to do any damage even with bazooka. And that is from 10 meters away, no more.
Those weapons primary role was to attack light armor, bunkers and fortified buldings, etc.

Its nothing like what you imagined from watching the movies, brave soldiers attacking tiger and destroying it with bazooka shot from 150 meters away.

Damaging scope with small arms fire on tanks is impossible, and only thing that can do any damage is AT rifle.

What some people suggested about crew being shocked from sound of bullets hitting metal, like in the drum is just funny.
Just by being in the tank without earmuffs would make anyone deaf in 10 minutes, hence everyone in the tank wears earmuffs that completely cancels noise and communicate only through radio.

Yes, I was in the tank and yes I know I wasn't in the world war 2.

None the less, that is reality, game is not reality so lets not mix the 2 ;)

22 Feb 2014, 10:48 AM
Donator 33

BabaRoga wins thread imo.

Button was indeed horribru in CoH1, but left them very vulnerable to be run over by other tanks (they wouldn't move), which was fun. CoH2 is such a different game, for me it is too early to say if it is a broken ability.
22 Feb 2014, 13:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2014, 14:17 PMMadeMan

In CoH2 I just imagine they're shooting at the slits with their PTRS. That'd make me close the hatch..
22 Feb 2014, 13:30 PM

In CoH2 I just imagine they're shooting at the slits with their PTRS. That'd make me close the hatch..

Slit and hatch are always closed in combat. Those are only open when tank is outside of engagement zone or driving on the friendly road. In combat tank crew uses only spotting scopes and radio communications from supporting units as their eyes and ears.

Otherwise it would be quite easy for sniper to kill the driver or commander sitting on top with binoculars, wouldn't it?
Again its pointless to compare reality with computer game, to some degree its possible but mostly its just video game
22 Feb 2014, 14:14 PM

You guys do realize its not PTRS that does the buttoning, but DP-28?
22 Feb 2014, 16:54 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Button and many other "one click-> 100% positive result" type of abilities were starting to appear in OF. To name a few:
- Button
- PE AT-HT Thread Break
- Tommy Scout sniper ability

Normally you would have to plan on how to take out a tank. But with abilities like these, which are quite hard to counter, you just execute them in the correct order and that's it. For example breaking the threads from an enemy tank right in front of your AT gun surely makes it a lot easier to take it out. And what can the opponent do about it if there was no sign of the AT-HT?

Obviously people will learn to watch out for AT-HTs. Loosing a tank in a situation like that makes you stay away from AT-HTs. I think this kind of game mechanic is not as pure as game mechanics are between US and Wehrmatcht.

In my opinion these kind of abilities are killing the pure gameplay, like setting up ambushes and flanks. I remember someone calling these kind of abilities as "cheesy abilities".

I'm sure someone thinks without these abilities the game would be a lot simpler but then again people would have to think with their brain to come up with new strategies. But now when we have these silly commanders and cheesy abilities, none will invent strategies Pio Spam, 4ES RAX (I'm really bad at naming COH1 strategies), which are great examples of creative thinking, only using very simple tools which are not guaranteed to give positive results. Oh and Pio Spam is most likely not the best example in this case. I'm sure someone could come up with a better one.
22 Feb 2014, 17:03 PM

buttoning is the dumbest ability both in OF and COH2
22 Feb 2014, 17:47 PM

Button and many other "one click-> 100% positive result" type of abilities were starting to appear in OF. To name a few:
- Button
- PE AT-HT Thread Break
- Tommy Scout sniper ability

Airborne strafe run.
Golliaths(yes, wehr had them too).
I guess PaK camo shots can also count.
Propaganda war.

What OF brought was more abilities associated with individual units, but these one click IWIN skills existed already.

In my opinion these kind of abilities are killing the pure gameplay, like setting up ambushes and flanks. I remember someone calling these kind of abilities as "cheesy abilities".

I'm sure someone thinks without these abilities the game would be a lot simpler but then again people would have to think with their brain to come up with new strategies. But now when we have these silly commanders and cheesy abilities, none will invent strategies Pio Spam, 4ES RAX (I'm really bad at naming COH1 strategies), which are great examples of creative thinking, only using very simple tools which are not guaranteed to give positive results. Oh and Pio Spam is most likely not the best example in this case. I'm sure someone could come up with a better one.

Well, without those abilities all you have is plain, old Red Alert 1 and hell, even that eventually had some units with abilities, chrono tank to name one.
What you describe as 'cheesy abilities' are as old as Warcraft 2, probably older.
Without them games are simply too simple and plain boring.
Hell, even the ever praised Starcraft is full of them.
22 Feb 2014, 17:56 PM
Honorary Member Badge

BabaRoga wins thread imo.

Button was indeed horribru in CoH1, but left them very vulnerable to be run over by other tanks (they wouldn't move), which was fun. CoH2 is such a different game, for me it is too early to say if it is a broken ability.

i think it actually works in coh2 rather well surprisingly. as my first thoughts were oh no here we go again.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★