Login

russian armor

Germans are bad

PAGES (10)down
3 Jan 2014, 12:02 PM

Here's a great example how to deal with multiple T-34/85 using StugIII and a Pak:

Great game by CieZ and OMGPOP!. It's a shame Target Weakpoint is bugged atm, but as it turns out you can fight without it.
3 Jan 2014, 13:06 PM
Patrion 26

I think penetration should be made more predictable and ram needs re-evaluated. As it stands now it's not a fun dynamic for either side.

Ram is fcking fun when you play as soviets.... Especially when you Ram a TA =)
3 Jan 2014, 13:10 PM

I just had a game where I kept recrewing t34s and using them to ram IS 152s which were destroying anything else I sent at it otherwise. Wish the stug had a ram ability, then maybe it'll be useful again.
3 Jan 2014, 13:18 PM
Patrion 14

I just had a game where I kept recrewing t34s and using them to ram IS 152s which were destroying anything else I sent at it otherwise. Wish the stug had a ram ability, then maybe it'll be useful again.

no, just... no
3 Jan 2014, 16:33 PM

I would recommend watching cast I posted few posts above to see StugIII true potential and how deadly it can be even with Vet1 ability broken + it was a great game to watch.
3 Jan 2014, 21:24 PM

That shows me very little. The t34s never even actually tried to flank. They just kept pushing up in range of the stug and at gun which omgpop knew was there. Omgpop had him pinned in his base and decided to start floating 800 mp, 500 munitions and 230 fuel. He also lost t34s sitting where where he already got hit by a stug and pak. This game would've been over at the 20 min mark if Omgpop had respect for his enemy. He was just toying with him like a fish and allowed him to rebuild his army. Even then his 3 t34s/85s vs 1 pak and 1 stug would've cut through Cien like butter if Omgpop didn't separate and relegate his t34s to harassing lone squads.
3 Jan 2014, 21:28 PM

no, just... no
that's what I said about t34s ramming as well. If it is good for the goose why is it bad for the gander?
3 Jan 2014, 22:19 PM

That shows me very little. The t34s never even actually tried to flank. They just kept pushing up in range of the stug and at gun which omgpop knew was there. Omgpop had him pinned in his base and decided to start floating 800 mp, 500 munitions and 230 fuel. He also lost t34s sitting where where he already got hit by a stug and pak. This game would've been over at the 20 min mark if Omgpop had respect for his enemy. He was just toying with him like a fish and allowed him to rebuild his army. Even then his 3 t34s/85s vs 1 pak and 1 stug would've cut through Cien like butter if Omgpop didn't separate and relegate his t34s to harassing lone squads.

This doesn't change the fact that Stugs were pretty effective.
3 Jan 2014, 22:25 PM
Patrion 14

Because an assault gun just isn't supposed to ram, thats why. StuG's were designed to take out the enemy tanks at long range, not to get up close and personal. The recorded rams of T-34's during the war were caused because an enemy tank hit or killed the driver. The gas pedal design in the T-3h4 made it that, once the gas pedal had been released, full throttle was initiated. This means that the "gas pedal" truly was a brake pedal. This caused the rams in some cases. The lack of traverse on assault guns indicates that long range was required to be succesfull. In the replay, I feared a couple of times that a well exectued flank could murder Ciez in seconds, thus showing the negative point on an assault gun. However, because of Pop's direct assault, the pak+ stug combo was effective. A lone stug/pak can be circlestrafed all day long by a turreted tank... I love the fact that Russian tanks have a ram ability, just because it so happened during the war for reasons stated above. If one uses the Stug like it was originally designed, it is viable. Players just need to realise that an assault gun is not a tank (or a 20fuel cheaper PIV) and has other benefits.
3 Jan 2014, 22:55 PM

Stugs need a cost decrease. They are almost never worth using. They are QUITE expensive for an AT gun on wheels with no turret and can't hit infantry yet have less HP than a T34.
3 Jan 2014, 23:02 PM
Patrion 14

In that I agree, maybe an accuracy/penetration buff versus armour or some sort,players should use them as dedicated anti armour imo, the short barreled stug needs a buff as well, maybe some extra splash damage or a faster firing rate versus infantry cause right now, it's next to useless.
3 Jan 2014, 23:52 PM

does anyone else think that Molotov provide a reallly unfair advantage that Germans don't get?

rifle grenades are next to useless for clearing buildings
maybe germans should get a incendiary grenade that can only be used on buildings

and what the fuck is with mines

seriously relic get your act together and make s-mines 1 quadrant for 25 munis
4 Jan 2014, 01:04 AM

I think rifle nades > molotovs. They are also free.

With the recent huge nerfs to buildings, denying their use is no longer important.
4 Jan 2014, 01:38 AM

Because an assault gun just isn't supposed to ram, thats why. StuG's were designed to take out the enemy tanks at long range, not to get up close and personal. The recorded rams of T-34's during the war were caused because an enemy tank hit or killed the driver. The gas pedal design in the T-3h4 made it that, once the gas pedal had been released, full throttle was initiated. This means that the "gas pedal" truly was a brake pedal. This caused the rams in some cases. The lack of traverse on assault guns indicates that long range was required to be succesfull. In the replay, I feared a couple of times that a well exectued flank could murder Ciez in seconds, thus showing the negative point on an assault gun. However, because of Pop's direct assault, the pak+ stug combo was effective. A lone stug/pak can be circlestrafed all day long by a turreted tank... I love the fact that Russian tanks have a ram ability, just because it so happened during the war for reasons stated above. If one uses the Stug like it was originally designed, it is viable. Players just need to realise that an assault gun is not a tank (or a 20fuel cheaper PIV) and has other benefits.
well in coh2 the stug is no longer a assault gun(more like an insult gun) or a tank destroyer which it became primarily in ww2. It was a capable weapons platform before the heavy handed nerfs. The first game I played of coh2, I built a stug and it was glorious. No one even noticed how strong Su 85s were because stugs could at least range with them (but then Panthers were beasts and p4s ran on NO2). I was just joking about stug ramming, of course. But if you want realism, a t34 wouldnt be able to eat 3 shots from a tiger then ram it.
4 Jan 2014, 01:46 AM

does anyone else think that Molotov provide a reallly unfair advantage that Germans don't get?

rifle grenades are next to useless for clearing buildings
maybe germans should get a incendiary grenade that can only be used on buildings

Rifle grenades are actually pretty good, but only if you are spamming them. I once thought they were underwhelming but if you can actually focus on getting munitions and spamming rifle nades at every chance possible they work wonders. 2 or 3 grens , split them up, drop 2 rifle nades and then getting close to a garrisoned building will usually kill a mg in a building. If you have 3 grens and 3 nades, the unit in the building won't be able to get away alive.
4 Jan 2014, 11:23 AM
Patrion 14

well in coh2 the stug is no longer a assault gun(more like an insult gun) or a tank destroyer which it became primarily in ww2. It was a capable weapons platform before the heavy handed nerfs. The first game I played of coh2, I built a stug and it was glorious. No one even noticed how strong Su 85s were because stugs could at least range with them (but then Panthers were beasts and p4s ran on NO2). I was just joking about stug ramming, of course. But if you want realism, a t34 wouldnt be able to eat 3 shots from a tiger then ram it.

True... It would completely screw over the gameplay tough ;p If you ever played Blitzkrieg mod for vcoh you'll understand what I mean :)
4 Jan 2014, 13:45 PM

Just give the StuG 60 range. This way it can fire back at the SU-85. Two will beat a Su-85 which is just sitting there. The Su-85 still has the advantage of spotting for itself, so it will land the first shot. But the important part is that the StuG is no longer totally outclassed to the point it is useless by the soviet tank destroyer, because now it can fire back.
4 Jan 2014, 14:54 PM

They'd be pretty useless, and work out as horrendously expensive compared to Soviet AP mines (which should be at least 10 munitions IMO)

For 80 munitions you get a dozen (?) mine quadrants, which is actually pretty awesome. The trick is to make sure you have two Pioneer squads when laying them.
4 Jan 2014, 17:50 PM

Just give the StuG 60 range. This way it can fire back at the SU-85. Two will beat a Su-85 which is just sitting there. The Su-85 still has the advantage of spotting for itself, so it will land the first shot. But the important part is that the StuG is no longer totally outclassed to the point it is useless by the soviet tank destroyer, because now it can fire back.

StugIII is design to counter Soviet T3 and Soviet tanks in general. I would use tanks trying to deal with SU85 as you can deal with them even by using PanzerIV provided sucessful flank. There is a price and tech difference between these two tank destroyers to consider.
I think target size increas on StugIII was unnesessery and should be reverted.
4 Jan 2014, 23:27 PM

Sorry Gentlemen, the germans just suck through the whole game. They can't do much in early game except getting a sniper and draining mp. Also ppshs, cheap soviet mines, 1 CP call-ins and the squad wipe wreck the germans.

Late game soviets still have the upper hand due to call-ins and super ultra usefull commanders; oh you have a heavy tank, let just ram it. np for me.

Same with cons spam into ppshs; powerfull and cheap. And pls don't tell me that upgraded grens kill cons with ppshs, 240 mp+10-20 ammo vs 240 mp+60 ammo just to counter 1 squad is a joke.

Stug III G, just useless without vet, a P4 does 100x times better. It needs to be looked at.

And the worst; the ammo cost for the germans is way too expensive.
Even without a doctrine (most of them are ammo heavy) they still starve for ammo.

My opinion is from 1v1 battles, 2v2s are fine if there isn't any bs commander around.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS