Login

russian armor

Map Concept, Karelian Summer

21 Dec 2013, 07:57 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Having no prior experience in mapping, I decided to fire up the worldbuilder, inspired by several pictures of rural Russia and Finland-

Resulting in this concept-

Updated 22/12

Looking west from the hilltop

Looking east from the island

Central crossroad

Naturally it needs more aesthethic improvements but that comes later.

My main concern is that I started out using the worldbuilding guide recommended size for a 1v1 map (320*320 playable area)- but the map still looks really large when looking at the churches compared to say, Semois. Secondly, the cutoffs are behind the munitions point and near the fuel, so I'm concerned that a player can bunker down on one side of the map with relative ease and still maintain a good income.

Any advice or general comments would be much appreciated:)
21 Dec 2013, 12:00 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

You have 9 strat points instead of the advised 10.
Fuel so close to VP's removes tactical choices imo
Regarding size, I used onkelsams 2v2 size and i had to cut it down 32 meters on 2 sides to make it play better.You can push up the bases or make them them in the middle of one side instead of the end.
21 Dec 2013, 12:57 PM

error message comes up- "Archiver failed! C:\..(directory here)" which means I can't test the map ingame.

Any advice or help solving these problems would be much appreciated, as would general comments :)

BTW exporting a map and having coh2 started doesn't work :) You'll get a archiever failed message. But i assume it's not the reason for your problem, it it?
21 Dec 2013, 13:44 PM
Honorary Member Badge

You have 9 strat points instead of the advised 10.
Fuel so close to VP's removes tactical choices imo
Regarding size, I used onkelsams 2v2 size and i had to cut it down 32 meters on 2 sides to make it play better.You can push up the bases or make them them in the middle of one side instead of the end.

There are ten points, but one of the strat point capture zones was coloured over- it's fixed now.
I'll take a look at the VP placement too.
Is there any way to edit the playable area of the map once it's been started?
Thanks for the feedback.

BTW exporting a map and having coh2 started doesn't work You'll get a archiever failed message. But i assume it's not the reason for your problem, it it?

Yeah it wasn't the cause of the problem- turns out I was saving the sga in the wrong place. Thanks anyway!
21 Dec 2013, 14:31 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

There are ten points, but one of the strat point capture zones was coloured over- it's fixed now.
I'll take a look at the VP placement too.
Is there any way to edit the playable area of the map once it's been started?
Thanks for the feedback.

So you have not changed the playable area in any way? Then I definitely suggest to remove 32 meter from every side. You need to use the interactivity tool, it is the grey button with a dotted circle. Set the stage to 50 and paint the the outskirts of the map. Otherwise you dont have the area where units arrive but cant use any abilities
22 Dec 2013, 08:59 AM
Honorary Member Badge

So you have not changed the playable area in any way? Then I definitely suggest to remove 32 meter from every side. You need to use the interactivity tool, it is the grey button with a dotted circle. Set the stage to 50 and paint the the outskirts of the map. Otherwise you dont have the area where units arrive but cant use any abilities

Thanks, I've done that- feels more compact now.

I also changed the sector layout- any comments on that? I moved most of the points closer to the centre of the map (e.g. the west fuel is now on the island).

Central crossroad

Looking east from the island

Looking west from the hilltop
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment