Login

russian armor

Feasibility of different Soviet BO's

20 Dec 2013, 10:29 AM

I'm looking to try some new BO's as soviets. What I've been doing so far has been a 4 Con start followed by T2 for a couple of Maxims and then T3.
Going Conscripts however is extremely boring and lately I haven't had a lot of success.
What are some of the BO's you guys do that don't involve heavy reliance on Conscripts and/or doctrinal infantry and what are their strengths/weaknesses?

I like Penals, but going Penals over Conscripts leaves me exposed to T2 vehicles, especially the FHT.
21 Dec 2013, 05:17 AM

I mostly think it's got to do with the map and how you as a player can utilise the strengths of each different Tier.

I reckon if T1 first, you're probably going to want to push for t3 or T4 pretty quickly. A T70 or SU85 can take out the enemy T2 vehicles fairly easily.
28 Dec 2013, 04:24 AM

I personally like to go T4 if I use T1, because going T1, T3 leaves me with no hard counter for tanks.

I think a viable opening can be going T1 off the bat while calling in Cons, then building Penals and cons alternating. Keep the Penals fighting constantly and merging with cons to get their experience up fast, Penals also will have an advantage over grens early game.
28 Dec 2013, 11:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Dec 2013, 04:24 AMMadeMan
I personally like to go T4 if I use T1, because going T1, T3 leaves me with no hard counter for tanks.

Yeah T3 needs ATGs from T2 to be affective vs tanks cuz T34s can't even take on a P4 reliably.

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Dec 2013, 04:24 AMMadeMan

I think a viable opening can be going T1 off the bat while calling in Cons, then building Penals and cons alternating. Keep the Penals fighting constantly and merging with cons to get their experience up fast, Penals also will have an advantage over grens early game.

I've been doing 3 cons then retreat engiee as soon as you have MP for T1 and then going 1 Penal and sniper. Gotta work on my unit preservation though. MVGame
28 Dec 2013, 12:02 PM

If I am going to go for Penals I build my T1 tech at the start with my engineer. I will then proceed to purchase 3 conscripts before buying my first Penal Squad so I have more capping power. At this point I proceed down many paths in terms of unit composition which is often dependant on both the map and my opponents unit composition.

With 3 conscripts/1 penal as the basis I will continue with Penals in the following manner, but keep in mind I find Penal based play a bit more early doctrine reliant opposed to other stratergies.

• Guards and/or Sniper, T3 for 1 T34, upgrade DP machine guns, back tech to T2 for Zis3 (Closed maps).
  • Guards and/or Sniper, T4 for 1 SU-85 (for Ostheer armour) or Katuysha for heavy T1/T2 play (Open map).
  • The Soviet Defensive doctrine complements T1 Penal play really well with the light ATG and DPSK HMG. 3 Conscripts, 1 Penal, 1 DPSK HMG, 1 light ATG then do whatever.
  • M3 Penal flamer, Guards with T2 back tech for Zis-3 or ATG. Works well when you aim for immediate heavy tank and your opponent goes for heavy T1-T2 play, especially with 2 MG42's mixed in for the early game.

Hope that helps!
28 Dec 2013, 12:37 PM

30 Dec 2013, 15:00 PM

• The Soviet Defensive doctrine complements T1 Penal play really well with the light ATG and DPSK HMG. 3 Conscripts, 1 Penal, 1 DPSK HMG, 1 light ATG then do whatever.

I have used this doctrine once and I must say that the light ATG is extremely light! It hardly does any damage and in my opinion cannot replace the original ATgun. Perhaps it is viable if you use it very smart (it was a 3vs3 and we were losing heavily, so I was only able to do front armor pot shots), but that one game kind of turned me off of this doctrine :) perhaps a second chance is in order...
30 Dec 2013, 15:07 PM

I have used this doctrine once and I must say that the light ATG is extremely light! It hardly does any damage and in my opinion cannot replace the original ATgun. Perhaps it is viable if you use it very smart (it was a 3vs3 and we were losing heavily, so I was only able to do front armor pot shots), but that one game kind of turned me off of this doctrine :) perhaps a second chance is in order...

I have never used it but I believe it must only be effective vs light vehicles and isn't intended to replace the Zis.
30 Dec 2013, 18:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Dec 2013, 15:07 PMKhan

I have never used it but I believe it must only be effective vs light vehicles and isn't intended to replace the Zis.

I prefer AT nades and guards to deal with T2 vehicles :)
30 Dec 2013, 18:39 PM

In groups they can take out medium armour. With urban defense commander you can use them near a FHQ and they get a nice boost that helps them out against bigger targets too, but in Defense Doc you can't really use any boosts it seems.
31 Dec 2013, 16:43 PM

my soviet opening goes like this.

build 2 conscripts, 2 clicks
engineer cap first point then inmediate retreat. 2 clicks +shift

when the engineer retreats build t1 inmediatly

use the 2 conscripts to stall the german advance. you cant win the battles with 2 conscripts alone.

build a penal,upgrade to flamers. if they have mg 42 you should have enough for a scout car already.

build a second penal.

the conscripts now become cheap penal reinforcements.

upgrade their at nade and keep them behind the penals.

the penals should have enough strengt to repell all of german t1 and have good veterancy for when the pgreens come.

light cars are the biggest trouble. but you can make mines or at nades since flamer penals save you a lot of munitions.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 14

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight