Login

russian armor

THQ is Bankrupt for Real This Time

PAGES (16)down
12 Jan 2013, 00:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jan 2013, 23:33 PMKillian

The Bankruptcy Filings are public access, but not all of the company's documentation. Bidders need permission to gain access to certain company data.

are you DrinkIIKillian??
12 Jan 2013, 00:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2013, 00:00 AMMVGame

are you DrinkIIKillian??

Nope
12 Jan 2013, 00:15 AM

12 Jan 2013, 08:56 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Ah :D
12 Jan 2013, 16:01 PM

So, does anyone else suspect that Jason Rubin owns someone in Gameinformer?? All of their articles on the THQ Bankruptcy have seemed like press releases from THQ instead of information for us gamers.

Look at this article even before the fall. Instead of honing in on some of Rubin's questionable business practices, Gameinformer merely lobbed soft questions and gobbled up his nonsense like it was gold.

The New Face of THQ
"THQ hasn’t had a 90-plus rated game in a long time. How do you balance increasing your review scores while not being able to match the marketing and development budgets of some of your competitors, such as EA and Activision?

Let me pull it back from ratings for a second. In general, how do you succeed with games that aren’t Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and Assassin’s Creed? The way the industry has been set up with all titles selling for roughly the same price at retail next to each other is that there’s been a race to make the biggest, baddest-ass game. If you walk into a store as a gamer and see a massive $120 million dollar game next to a $30 million dollar game, and a $80 million marketing budget backed that $120 million game up, it’s likely you’re going to pull that one off the shelf. "

A higher price does NOT equal a better product, is he insane?

"After reorganizing to focus on core gaming titles, THQ has brought in Naughty Dog co-founder Jason Rubin as president to oversee publishing, marketing, and production. We spoke to Rubin about his new role at THQ and what his plans are for the future."

Maybe we should have taken the term "Naughty Dog" as less of a compliment and more of a warning?
12 Jan 2013, 16:29 PM

it now appears one big reason they got Rubin was for his contacts at Centerview providing cash to keep THQ alive a while longer.
13 Jan 2013, 01:12 AM

@Killian it's almost as if mainstream journalist likes to go easy on publishers to keep their favor. ;)
13 Jan 2013, 01:27 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Joke's on them, THQ is dead now so they could've said anything!
13 Jan 2013, 22:01 PM

an interesting take on the THQ bankruptcy.
also, interesting is that he fails to assign CoH and/or Relic to an obvious suitor with big bucks.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/billybilo/2013/01/12/thq-bankruptcy-from-another-point-of-view/

and here is a closer look into Double Fine's exact motives for requesting diligence documents from THQ.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/double-fine-joining-thq-asset-bidding-war

hopefully, this is enough for that guy requesting a "source"
13 Jan 2013, 22:33 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I dunno if that's a very "interesting" take, it's some musician from Sweden making shit up. Who cares if he doesn't have a buyer in mind for CoH/Relic? He might never have even heard of CoH/Relic. Also that makes a lot more sense in terms of what Double Fine is looking for.
14 Jan 2013, 00:08 AM

If the WWE series is given a properly supported online multiplayer experience the game's popularity will explode.
18 Jan 2013, 17:49 PM

A Zeller's near me is being liquidated and converted into a Target.
As a result, I picked up WWE All Stars for $8.

It's a great game. Nicely balanced with big diversity between different wrestler "classes".

Shame that THQ-SanDiego is no more.
18 Jan 2013, 19:18 PM

GameStop doesn't think Metro's sequel is even going to come out now.

Last Light removed from GameStop Impulse
18 Jan 2013, 19:21 PM

CoH2 and that new South Park game are also not listed
18 Jan 2013, 20:11 PM
Senior Caster Badge

That's kind of weird. I guess they're just being super cautious. And Killian, it doesn't say they think the sequel won't come out, it says they just aren't sure.
18 Jan 2013, 20:17 PM

"It's Chapter 11, which is a restructuring. We're going to be just fine, thank you for your concern, though"
18 Jan 2013, 20:42 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

It's a guess, but i think that Relic probably did a 180 degree turn after the Judge announced the auction.

Prior to the decision to enter Chapter 11 bankruptcy, THQ appeared to be leaning on its studios to rush out their next titles, in order to raise cash, and probably irrespective of quality (though this is my conjecture). So you had vague promises of the Beta for CoH2 sooner rather than later. With the wisdom of hindsight ( such a magnificent thing) you then had a lead designer, indicating that there had been insufficent time to get the game to where it needed to be ideally. The analogy was it needed this much time [********************] but it only had this much time [*********]

After Judge Mary Walrath pronounced on 4 January, that the THQ sale to Clearwater was rushed and did not allow sufficent canvassing to other interested parties, which then led to the decision to order an auction of THQ assets this next week, I think it became a case of "sauve qui peut" in the mind's eye of Relic - and who could fault them?. By which I mean that, rather than rushing things to a Beta, they decided to pause, polish and revise as best they could, given the limited window of opportunity. This would be the best chance to preserve the teams and the studio intact, by showing a Buyer that it is worth keeping their studio and games.

And the very best of luck to them!! :)
18 Jan 2013, 21:11 PM

is the release date still in March ?
18 Jan 2013, 21:34 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

is the release date still in March ?

Who knows?

If I were the Buyer of CoH2, I would want the game to be as good as possible prior to Beta/release, knowing that commercially-ignorant gamers/IT journos will be all too quick to jump on the negative bandwagon, blaming my company for all the faults they perceive (accompanied by their knee-jerk perceptions), quickly forgetting THQ in their short-sighted perspectives.
18 Jan 2013, 21:45 PM

Who knows?

pretty bad if Relic/THQ isn't keeping the hard core community up to date on that stuff
PAGES (16)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 58
Korea, Republic Of 12

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak