Login

russian armor

COH3 is pretty good now, where are the players?

21 Dec 2023, 18:36 PM

What Aerafield said. People complained about heavy tanks (mostly super heavy) in CoH2. And with good reason. 70 range 400 penetration tanks with 400 armour. On maps which are lane-y as f***, was not a good experience. ISU152 was at least somewhat nerfed with the HE shells range.
So what did Relic big brains do? Light and medium tank spam. Heavy tanks super expensive. VP tickrate fast as f*** boy. Poor sound design on explosions. Explosion effects are also ... poor.
They also reworked tank ranges from 40-60 to 40-50. So now you have a Hellcat TANK DESTROYER that can't destroy tanks as it only "outranges" medium tanks by 5 range. And has low armor and HP. And they also made this silly change that tanks accelerating from a standstill, will accelerate instantly to 100% velocity. So it's looks like the Re-Volt game from 1990s. Also makes the 5 range advantage void.
Games last shorter. Are more dull and boring and revolve around the same old medium tank spam. Or light tank spam for fast victories.
If they made CoH3 heavies like CoH2, with the exception of 72.5 sight range KT. And if the tanks like ele, jagd, ISU152 actually had flaws, unlike CoH2 where they were without a single vulnerability (well, unless you're retarded and assault with them going first)... it would have been a better game and more people would play it. CoH is a game with the focus on teamgames. Not 1v1. 1v1 is for the e-sport type games

nailed it perfectly
21 Dec 2023, 18:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I can only tell from watching casts.
The last patch made the game look a lot better. Lighting is quite nice overall, just some sand in bright light seems to be too bright for me, otherwise it looks pretty good overall. 90% of textures, terrain deformation and object damage looks gorgeous.
Animations are my biggest grudge. It feels like they had one very talented, and one very incapable person working on them. Some look top notch. Others looks like they were made by the executives 12 year old son because according to the boss "he's pretty good with that animation program". The arty strike of the new officer is hilariously horrible.

I guess they will fix the instant acceleration. Visually as an observer, it's actually not that obvious apart from some instances were the vehicles seem to bounce. Relic must know how wrong and goofy that looks. They also don't implement an already proven system just to toss it overboard. I guess they used this at the moment to cover some bugs and glitches while they try to fix those.
21 Dec 2023, 18:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Dec 2023, 10:30 AMKatitof

Yes, about unit preservation and few units on the field.

Not about big tanks and big explosions.

CoH2 late game tankspam and arty fest were utter cancer and I hope it will never re-emerges.

CoH3 mid-game heavy focus is awesome for pacing and variety.

As I wrote on the CoH3 server thread as well: If you love & enjoy teamgames how they are in CoH3, nobody stands in your way. But the poor playernumbers on top of the conversations I've had with dozens of my teamgame friends over the last 10 months speak for themselves.

Imagine you're playing CoH2's Ostheer but neither T4 nor strong tank call-ins exist, and that's the only option you have to play every match. Absolutely awful. And now imagine this on a map like Winter Line :foreveralone:
21 Dec 2023, 21:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Dec 2023, 10:54 AMGiaA

I think you need to differentiate between what us enlightened CoH consumers enjoy vs what the general public enjoys.

Well, if you put it up this way...
21 Dec 2023, 22:23 PM

nailed it perfectly

I concur. This was a great post. In fact I thought you hacked Protos' account and wrote it yourself.
21 Dec 2023, 22:32 PM

So? We are playing CoH here, not C&C. CoH always has been about unit preservation and few units on the field, not "spam many units and just charge in" rock paper scissors style like C&C

It's like releasing a new Battlefield or CoD but now the only gamemode has building enabled because "it works and is successful in Fortnite"

The "big tanks big explosions" formula worked perfectly in CoH1 & 2 teamgames, and fiddling with this was a bad mistake

Have to agree. The whole reason I play CoH over shit like Starcraft 2 (or whatever its called) or Age of Empires is because I have more fun with the tactics part more than the "ooga booga me build worker to mine fart gas and unobtanium crystals to build 100 flying units and A move them to enemy" part.

21 Dec 2023, 23:12 PM

Have to agree. The whole reason I play CoH over shit like Starcraft 2 (or whatever its called) or Age of Empires is because I have more fun with the tactics part more than the "ooga booga me build worker to mine fart gas and unobtanium crystals to build 100 flying units and A move them to enemy" part.

thx for laugh man

MoBas suck too
21 Dec 2023, 23:50 PM

Right cuz the CoH method of just cliking an area and having AI planes kill units for you is way less brainless

I cant speak for starcraft but ive played AoE a while and i have no clue what ur talking about
22 Dec 2023, 01:21 AM

Bro! Stop. Now I have to debate for the next 3 hours who had the more based post today: You or Protos.
22 Dec 2023, 02:23 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

This will likely ruffle some feathers. Most players do not touch multiplayer. There is generally low transfer rates from single player to multiplayer. There will likely not be a spike of players until there is a singleplayer expansion or a PvE expansion. There is a reason why I have not touched the game since release. While there were many game braking bugs I ran into, the game was not fun and repetitive.

That and I found the game release state an insult in which I am far too salty to forgive. The game release was less polished than my own mods. Sure, I had sky high expectations, but I can not say it was even good for a casual.
22 Dec 2023, 04:08 AM

This will likely ruffle some feathers. Most players do not touch multiplayer. There is generally low transfer rates from single player to multiplayer. There will likely not be a spike of players until there is a singleplayer expansion or a PvE expansion. There is a reason why I have not touched the game since release. While there were many game braking bugs I ran into, the game was not fun and repetitive.

That and I found the game release state an insult in which I am far too salty to forgive. The game release was less polished than my own mods. Sure, I had sky high expectations, but I can not say it was even good for a casual.

if you already bought the game, please give it another go now, in today patch state, it is finally playable.

make sure to do at least 5 games, of course before you start, watch some tightrope replay vids on youtube, with the latest patch, just to refresh and pick up some meta
22 Dec 2023, 09:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2023, 04:08 AMmrgame2

if you already bought the game, please give it another go now, in today patch state, it is finally playable.

make sure to do at least 5 games, of course before you start, watch some tightrope replay vids on youtube, with the latest patch, just to refresh and pick up some meta

Don't get your hopes up. The game is boring as fuck.
Once they start adding heavy tanks. Rework tank ranges and reduce the VP tick rate. Then I'm guessing more people will come play CoH3. I bought the game, but I don't regret buying it and not playing.
Bought the complete COH2 for 5 euros. And played it a lot. Don't mind waiting for CoH3 to come up to a standard (if it comes at all) worth of CoH franchise.

For example. The Black Prince is super fun to play. It's a prototype WW2 tank. Who cares. But playing it is ill advised as it comes too late to be of use. Same with the Tiger. And now they've overnerfed the E8 because why not. It seems like those that make the decisions at Relic have really been smoking some bad s**t. Or a bad strain or something. Because for a change like the instant acceleration to pass the QA... I mean. Really? Are you telling me Relic deployed to a staging/test environment, the 1.4 version. And the QA/DevOps did the tests and found "yeah, I really like this toy car acceleration".

Holy f*** they should find a new supplier.
22 Dec 2023, 11:52 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2023, 04:08 AMmrgame2

I have 4.2 total played hours. I did not get very far into the game. Only touched the Brits in tutorial and have not touched the German nor Italian factions once. Did they improve the AI? Did they make the campaign not repetitive? Have they replaced the icons so they are not using CoH2 assets? Did they fix the sound balancing so where you can hear infantry fighting?
22 Dec 2023, 13:41 PM

Did they improve the AI? Did they make the campaign not repetitive? Have they replaced the icons so they are not using CoH2 assets? Did they fix the sound balancing so where you can hear infantry fighting?

The most recent patch 1.4 apparently did a massive overhaul to the campaign experience, both the campaign map and the missions themselves, and they improved the AI as well. I'm not a PvE player but this is what I have seen in videos.

There's still some recycled CoH2 icons and audio is still a bit meh, but it's WAY better compared to launch. If I was a singleplayer enjoyer I'd definitely give CoH3 another shot right now
30 Dec 2023, 15:53 PM

Don't get your hopes up. The game is boring as fuck.
Once they start adding heavy tanks. Rework tank ranges and reduce the VP tick rate. Then I'm guessing more people will come play CoH3. I bought the game, but I don't regret buying it and not playing.
Bought the complete COH2 for 5 euros. And played it a lot. Don't mind waiting for CoH3 to come up to a standard (if it comes at all) worth of CoH franchise.

For example. The Black Prince is super fun to play. It's a prototype WW2 tank. Who cares. But playing it is ill advised as it comes too late to be of use. Same with the Tiger. And now they've overnerfed the E8 because why not. It seems like those that make the decisions at Relic have really been smoking some bad s**t. Or a bad strain or something. Because for a change like the instant acceleration to pass the QA... I mean. Really? Are you telling me Relic deployed to a staging/test environment, the 1.4 version. And the QA/DevOps did the tests and found "yeah, I really like this toy car acceleration".

Holy f*** they should find a new supplier.

They'll surely address the acceleration rate of many vehicles for the next patch, apart from that I'd really like to know who's the master mind behind Coastal BG, this man deserves a medal and be put far away from the designer team forever.

Otherwise I feel the game is much more balanced between phases, this isn't a end game unit rush anymore at the moment and I'm not specially interested in seeing more heavy tanks. Maybe 4vs4 feels particular about that but 1vs1 and 2vs2 is fun.
2 Jan 2024, 07:55 AM

It's an interesting thread, I'd like to put in my tought.

1st let's be clear, atm COH2 is a better game, more maps, more commander, a better meta ? (debatable). Some graphic and sound design that are more enjoyable ? And ofc 6/7 years of constant (at the beggining) support and update.

2nd I myself enjoy COH3 and I'm having fun on it, I play mostly 1v1 but I've played few teamgames this last patch and they seemed fine. At least for my taste. Games felt fun and entertaining.
What the game needs now is MORE MAPS, MORE BATTLEGROUPS and some meta adjustment. Again that's my opinion, i'm a relic spokeperson.

3rd I havnt played COH1 multiplayera lot because I was 10 at the time but was it as heavy tank as COH2? IIRC there are perhing, churchills, tiger, jagpanther and maybe panther (medium/heavy what a question), wich is far less than COH2. So was it also focused on heavy beasts. Feel free to correct me, my knowledge of COH1 is scarce.

From what I'm seeing and reading in these kind of thread it feels, FOR ME, that a lot of you just want COH2.5 or a similar game. Wich is fair enough but I don't think that's what RELIC was planning.

Feel free to agree or disagree with me, i'll be curious to have your tought on this.
2 Jan 2024, 17:03 PM

It's an interesting thread, I'd like to put in my tought.

1st let's be clear, atm COH2 is a better game, more maps, more commander, a better meta ? (debatable). Some graphic and sound design that are more enjoyable ? And ofc 6/7 years of constant (at the beggining) support and update.

2nd I myself enjoy COH3 and I'm having fun on it, I play mostly 1v1 but I've played few teamgames this last patch and they seemed fine. At least for my taste. Games felt fun and entertaining.
What the game needs now is MORE MAPS, MORE BATTLEGROUPS and some meta adjustment. Again that's my opinion, i'm a relic spokeperson.

3rd I havnt played COH1 multiplayera lot because I was 10 at the time but was it as heavy tank as COH2? IIRC there are perhing, churchills, tiger, jagpanther and maybe panther (medium/heavy what a question), wich is far less than COH2. So was it also focused on heavy beasts. Feel free to correct me, my knowledge of COH1 is scarce.

From what I'm seeing and reading in these kind of thread it feels, FOR ME, that a lot of you just want COH2.5 or a similar game. Wich is fair enough but I don't think that's what RELIC was planning.

Feel free to agree or disagree with me, i'll be curious to have your tought on this.

I do agree that CoH2 has more heavy call ins, but they also cost fuel.

While in the original CoH they only had a manpower price on them, usually around 1000.

In CoH3 I would say the problem is that they're few with just the 2 Tigers and Black Prince, come in late due to high command points cost for the Wehrmacht Tiger and British Black Prince and also cost a lot of fuel, especially in the case of the DAK Tiger so it seems to be much more practical to just go for more medium tanks instead and there are some pretty good options like the Wehr Panzer IV when fully upgraded, the 76 Sherman is again nice when fully upgraded while for the British I guess it's a toss between the Crusader and M3 Grant with one being cheaper and faster while the other having a bit more "oopmh" in it's damage output. Only the DAK seem to be a bit disadvantaged with the Panzer III being probably the "weakest" of all mediums currently even when fully upgraded.

So in my opinion the game could benefit from a bit more heavy call ins such as the Elefant for the Wehrmacht which historically also makes sense since the Ferdinands that survived Kursk went back to be refurbished in Germany and then were sent off to Italy, and also an M4A3E2 Jumbo with an optional 76mm gun upgrade for the US. In terms of history unlike the Elefant it makes as much sense as the Black Prince since it was only deployed to Europe just in time for the Battle of the Bulge in late 1944, but it was a heavily armored "assault" tank which could serve as a nice meatshield for the US in the game.

Other options are once again the M26 Pershing, British A34 Comet and King Tiger for the Wehrmacht. Other fun call ins that would make even less historical sense are the Sturmtiger, Jagdtiger, Jagdpanther, British "Tortoise" heavy assault tank and American T29/95 "Doom turtle" but I'm only mentioning these because of the Black Prince.

All in all there's a lot more room for content considering what I just wrote above, the only question is if Relic are willing to go there and then how to balance everything.
2 Jan 2024, 18:59 PM

Coh3 was designed for new players to get accustomed to playing an RTS. Which is a very smart move for a business. Sadly it needed at least 2 more years of development.

Typical ROSBONE post, stop reading here.

SINGLE PLAYER
So we have a buggy bare bones single player experience that people are not happy about. Almost a year later, people are STILL saying that they get a bug that stops them from finishing the game. But mechanics like PAUSE are great for letting new players get their feet wet.

They added the world map thing that is a great idea. The more ways to play the game the better. Make it more interesting for new players to find a groove and a way to enjoy the game.

I have never played a single player campaign (Coh1, Coh2, Coh3), so I do not know if the new ones help new players. And no one I watch streams it.

MULTIPLAYER
The multiplayer aspect is probably pretty close to what they originally planned, but again needs more dev time and maps. The mechanics are not as deep as Coh2 and reward simple play styles which helps new players.

Things like faster VP tick rate seem planned for people who DONT want to play an hour long game. Was this an internal decision or derived from focus group data???

They also planned forward reinforce being important for the faster VP rate, but that got changed when the community found it to promote brain dead blobbing. This threw a monkey wrench in the designs.

DA FUTURE
Single player people got the last DLC, which was a joke for the money and was just something to put out and not get sued by the premium purchasers. SP will not get better unless Relic are working on a REAL dlc that was not finished in time for Dec 4th patch. And that new DLC is affordable. People are very mad about the price of the DLC, as they should be.

I would say a majority of players prefer the Coh2 style of play. This is the scary part. Will Relic keep working on Coh3 long enough to get it working closer to Coh2 or will they drop it. Leaving the community split like Coh1 and Coh2 have been forever. Katitof eats baloney. Since the DLC had so little in it, it seems like Relic will leave Coh3 as is. Which means it will never replace Coh2. Once more maps are added the player counts will balance out. Currently its like 60-70% Coh2 vs 30-40% Coh3.

The multiplayer style may not change much, so the schism we always see will remain. People who like deep mechanics and good design will stay with Coh2. People who like the shiny new thing will stay on Coh3.

Sega didn't just shoot themselves in the foot with this early release, they actually blew their legs off at the pelvis. DOW3 all over again, just like we all knew they would.

They started out way behind and have never caught up. Each patch is about 70% of what it should be, which indicates a longer time table. Coh3 may be great in 2-3 years, just like Coh and Coh2 before it.
2 Jan 2024, 19:03 PM

I do agree that CoH2 has more heavy call ins, but they also cost fuel.

While in the original CoH they only had a manpower price on them, usually around 1000.

In CoH3 I would say the problem is that they're few with just the 2 Tigers and Black Prince, come in late due to high command points cost for the Wehrmacht Tiger and British Black Prince and also cost a lot of fuel, especially in the case of the DAK Tiger so it seems to be much more practical to just go for more medium tanks instead and there are some pretty good options like the Wehr Panzer IV when fully upgraded, the 76 Sherman is again nice when fully upgraded while for the British I guess it's a toss between the Crusader and M3 Grant with one being cheaper and faster while the other having a bit more "oopmh" in it's damage output. Only the DAK seem to be a bit disadvantaged with the Panzer III being probably the "weakest" of all mediums currently even when fully upgraded.

So in my opinion the game could benefit from a bit more heavy call ins such as the Elefant for the Wehrmacht which historically also makes sense since the Ferdinands that survived Kursk went back to be refurbished in Germany and then were sent off to Italy, and also an M4A3E2 Jumbo with an optional 76mm gun upgrade for the US. In terms of history unlike the Elefant it makes as much sense as the Black Prince since it was only deployed to Europe just in time for the Battle of the Bulge in late 1944, but it was a heavily armored "assault" tank which could serve as a nice meatshield for the US in the game.

Other options are once again the M26 Pershing, British A34 Comet and King Tiger for the Wehrmacht. Other fun call ins that would make even less historical sense are the Sturmtiger, Jagdtiger, Jagdpanther, British "Tortoise" heavy assault tank and American T29/95 "Doom turtle" but I'm only mentioning these because of the Black Prince.

All in all there's a lot more room for content considering what I just wrote above, the only question is if Relic are willing to go there and then how to balance everything.

If you like a variety of armored vehicles, then Relic clearly chose the wrong front. The Eastern Front is where the variety of armored vehicles is. From light tanks to super-heavy ones. No matter how hard you try, the USA and Britain had less variety of armored vehicles than the USSR and Germany. Unless, of course, you go along the path of the World of Tanks with the Black Prince.
2 Jan 2024, 19:23 PM

One complaint of Coh2 was there is no light vehicle play. Coh3 brings us to where peoples complaints brought us. It also matches the war setting in the area.

Another Coh2 complaint was heavy tank stall. Thus light and mediums are the focus. Go ahead and stall for a Tiger, I will have map control with my M8s and Chaffees. Then I will snare and circle your Tiger to death.

It seems like Relic did exactly what people asked for. It just needs more VP tick time (not less), so people can play up to larger tanks before the time runs out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★