Login

russian armor

Relic is in trouble - The "financial situation"

12 Jun 2023, 17:35 PM
12 Jun 2023, 17:58 PM

12 Jun 2023, 18:30 PM

go woke go broke
12 Jun 2023, 18:43 PM

LOl Of course Relic's financial situation is bad or why do you think they fired almost 25-30% of their members?
Sorry, but this offers no information
12 Jun 2023, 20:48 PM

I think it was pretty obvious, didn't need any confirmation.
13 Jun 2023, 06:32 AM

Obviously, after the layoff of 120 employees and taking into account the fact that, in theory, Relic supports Age of Empires 4, should support Company of Heroes 3 live service and develop other games.

But I'm wondering why you have the linkedin interface in Russian, although you seem to be from Brazil))
13 Jun 2023, 11:15 AM

Obviously, after the layoff of 120 employees and taking into account the fact that, in theory, Relic supports Age of Empires 4, should support Company of Heroes 3 live service and develop other games.

Wasn't AOE4 outsourced to World's Edge Studios as MS did not want Relic to mess the game up anymore?
13 Jun 2023, 11:22 AM

Wasn't AOE4 outsourced to World's Edge Studios as MS did not want Relic to mess the game up anymore?

Well, after laying off 120 employees, I saw the news that the dismissal will not affect the support of the Age of Empire 4. To be honest, I do not know if Relic is still engaged in the support of EoA. I can rely on open source news that says it still is.
13 Jun 2023, 11:26 AM

Nope, its relics own baby, which you could clearly see for yourself some time ago during free weekend on steam.
13 Jun 2023, 12:36 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jun 2023, 11:26 AMKatitof

Nope, its relics own baby, which you could clearly see for yourself some time ago during free weekend on steam.

It may be Relic's baby, but from 48:44 onwards below, there is plenty to suggest the outsourcing has been extended with Forgotten Empires. e.g. matchmaking, maps, balance. Note that Rleic retain the last word, but areas of expertise are outsourced.

13 Jun 2023, 13:37 PM

So Nigo, respectfully, as much as we appreciate you finding new things, I also see the way you present these are much in line like a typical UK tabloid paper. A big soaring headline, a screengrab with little to no information, no verification but a lot of guessing and conjecture. Typically spawning these threads where people go off on these rants with no foundation, continued on the level of the bar that you have thus set.

Obviously, the layoffs were fueled by business results and thus, business decisions. Does these indicate to be because there is a 'troubling financial situation?' No, because if that were to be the case, it would have been better to close the studio altogether. Why keep people on the payroll for something that does not provide (reasonable) income in return?

If you ask me, this is a (technical) employee , attached to game launches and its backend services with a poor reasoning skills concerning to causality on his termination asking for a new job.

You cannot know more and everything you say after this information is considered conjecture. If you really want to be a (senior) editor in the most honest sense of the definition of the word 'editor', you'll have to do more than just deduct your reasoning of 1 employee's Linkedin post, a screengrab or selection of 5 seconds from a livestream. You'll have to verify your (multiple!) sources, talk to (multiple) people and work from there on your story. Yes this takes more than 5 minutes but if you do that, you'll be more than able to live up to the title of a (senior) editor, and the quality of your content and validity of the work you do will go up by miles.
13 Jun 2023, 13:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jun 2023, 13:37 PMNickbn
Yes this takes more than 5 minutes but if you do that, you'll be more than able to live up to the title of a (senior) editor, and the quality of your content and validity of the work you do will go up by miles.

He'll be doing more than most news sites nowadays lol.
13 Jun 2023, 13:51 PM

Also, lol, nigo doesn't even say anything. He just quotes a snippet from the linkedin post and then posts a URL.

What you actually wanted him to do is editorialize it and "spin" it. (Here's why that's a good thing-ism)
13 Jun 2023, 14:16 PM

Also, lol, nigo doesn't even say anything. He just quotes a snippet from the linkedin post and then posts a URL.

What you actually wanted him to do is editorialize it and "spin" it. (Here's why that's a good thing-ism)

The headline isn't a quote. It is a selective phrase from the sentence that has no actual information on the "financial situation", with a opinion-statement that Relic is in trouble.

It is exactly how those tabloids operate.

Take a subject, selectively take parts of it, and blow it out of proportions while never presenting a position/conclusions because they don't want to get sued for libel. While at the same time, nobody gains any new information on the subject, just repackaged statements and speculations. I would say a good post would attempt to do both: present news/evidence, and explain it.

We know Relic/COH3 are in trouble. This post presents no new information, other than the employee saying that layoffs happened because of the budget. Of course you need an explanation why you were fired from the previous position, you use it to your advantage: company went bankrupt, budget constrains, outsourcing, change of company's direction etc.
13 Jun 2023, 14:36 PM

The headline isn't a quote.

kwəʊt

verb
noun
a quotation from a text or speech.

quotation
kwə(ʊ)ˈteɪʃ(ə)n

noun
a group of words taken from a text or speech and repeated by someone other than the original author or speaker.

Definitions from Oxford Languages.

Can we not play semantics games for internet points? Yes it's a quote, Fanta.

Take a subject, selectively take parts of it, and blow it out of proportions while never presenting a position/conclusions because they don't want to get sued for libel. While at the same time, nobody gains any new information on the subject, just repackaged statements and speculations. I would say a good post would attempt to do both: present news/evidence, and explain it.

So you wanted him to editorialize. Just not in a negative way towards Relic? Why are you responding to my post to agree with me? Color me confused.

13 Jun 2023, 14:43 PM
Senior Editor Badge

But I'm wondering why you have the linkedin interface in Russian, although you seem to be from Brazil))

Someone posted in some CoH Discord days ago. ;)
13 Jun 2023, 14:48 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jun 2023, 13:37 PMNickbn

You'll have to verify your (multiple!) sources, talk to (multiple) people and work from there on your story. Yes this takes more than 5 minutes but if you do that, you'll be more than able to live up to the title of a (senior) editor, and the quality of your content and validity of the work you do will go up by miles.

Lol...NO!!! :D

I dont have time for that and after all, this is just a discussion gaming forum, not a court.
13 Jun 2023, 15:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jun 2023, 14:48 PMnigo

I dont have time for that and after all, this is just a discussion gaming forum, not a court.

Nigo is #1 in passing info along. Like sturmtigercobra is #1 in discussing conspiracy theories.

If you want more info ask the source, not the middle man.

Nigo <444>3
13 Jun 2023, 18:02 PM

Usually when a company downsizes its going to use the 'financial situation' as an excuse.

Although its completely possible that Relic over-hired and have a lot of employees doing repetitive or pointless tasks.

IMO, it shows how bad management is over at Relic. I hope they shuffle the management positions to be more gamer based instead of whatever they have going on right now. Gamers need to make games, not some guy working on multiple Fifa and Madden games who thinks hes a god at design.
13 Jun 2023, 18:19 PM

I just want to point out at the delicious COH3 cool-aid that the developer still, even after being fired, is savoring:
"... it will keep being one of the best RTS of all time."

Bruh, maybe it is the linkedin speak for hyping up your past projects, but you have to be self-aware. The game is approaching COH1 popularity, it is negatively rated by users, you got fired for this result, and the studio might even fold if MS is going to pursue a new AOE direction.

So you wanted him to editorialize. Just not in a negative way towards Relic? Why are you responding to my post to agree with me? Color me confused.

I agree with the conclusions because we already knew the news/evidence from other sources.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★