Login

russian armor

Relic is in trouble - 121 employees fired

PAGES (10)down
28 May 2023, 15:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2023, 13:26 PMnigo

OH SNAP! I totally missed this! People getting outed!

No wonder Aerafield has left the community and argues with everyone he can now. Poor guy.

j/k You know we love you bro

EDIT: It is good to see that both Jibber and Jibber helped out.
28 May 2023, 19:00 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

This discussion is truly hilarious. People act like 10 years ago, there has never ever been a blundered launch of a game and game companies lying to customers. We all know that up to the appearance of diversity criteria, the gaming company has been a happy teletubbie world where everything went right and nothing went wrong.

Yes, Relic is probably partially hiring for diversity. Yes, artificially restricting your pool of potential employees will definitely lower the chances of getting the most talented one. It doesn't automatically mean you'll get the bottom of the barrel though. They'll do an 80% job instead of a 90% one.

If you crash your car into a tree it's probably not because of the fly that distracted you for a split second. It's because you've been going 150 on a 80 road in heavy rain on worn out tires while ignoring the "sharp turn" signs. The fly has made it worse than it could have been, but everyone here is running around saying "it was the fly! Otherwise I would have made it!".

CoH3 is lacking in so many areas, it's not the fault of a couple of diversity hires. If you think that's the main issue and a couple of people slightly underperforming run the whole project into the wall, you have apparently no idea about project management. With that amount of issues, there's larger issues at Relic, diversity hiring is only one of them.

In summary:
Is hiring based on diversity bad for performance? Yes.
Could CoH3 have been better at launch without Relic diversity hiring? Speculatively: Yes, at least in a couple of areas.
Would CoH3 have been a good game then? No, surely not.
28 May 2023, 19:21 PM

Like I understand that you probably can't reveal much about game development due to NDAs etc.

However, the "only if you knew attitude" is infuriating and doesn't add anything to the conversation.

People will jump to conclusions based on the information publicly at hand.

You're correct; NDAs restrict conversations, but it is frustrating to read the same incorrect assumptions and complete oversimplification of the development process.

I don't think there will ever be a way to solve this with larger-scale productions.
28 May 2023, 20:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2023, 11:50 AMmrgame2
Coh3 is still a good game, i had good 2v2 still.

CoH 3 is not an unsalvagable game! It's fun, but bland. It needs more content and closer attention from the devs, but that's a tall order considering what we've seen so far.

I hope Relic hires good people...come back and save coh3!

Amen
28 May 2023, 20:25 PM

I thought people dislike the game atm because of the lack of multiplayer content, not because the sound isn't as good as they expected it to be.

28 May 2023, 20:25 PM

People are not annoyed there were women involved in the development of COH3.

People are annoyed because they think Relic hires not ONLY based on ability but also on "diversity". I don`t think this has anything to do with why COH3 is disappointing by the way. I do find it annoying that Relic has also jumped on the "woke" bandwagon though.

The very best people have to be hired to get the job done. No matter if they are male, female, transgender, two-spirit or whatever else.

+1 to all
28 May 2023, 20:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2023, 20:25 PMEsxile
I thought people dislike the game atm because of the lack of multiplayer content, not because the sound isn't as good as they expected it to be.

I honestly couldn't care less about the sound design. It sounds fine to me. The game just developed a boring meta quickly and there are only two 4v4 maps. That's the long and short of it for me.
28 May 2023, 22:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2023, 15:44 PMRosbone

OH SNAP! I totally missed this! People getting outed!

No wonder Aerafield has left the community and argues with everyone he can now. Poor guy.

WTF BRO D:
28 May 2023, 23:01 PM

So, what is the point you are making?

People are not annoyed there were women involved in the development of COH3.

People are annoyed because they think Relic hires not ONLY based on ability but also on "diversity". I don`t think this has anything to do with why COH3 is disappointing by the way. I do find it annoying that Relic has also jumped on the "woke" bandwagon though.

The very best people have to be hired to get the job done. No matter if they are male, female, transgender, two-spirit or whatever else.

My point was that I enjoyed the audio for coh1 and I was under the impression it was directed by a female. Which I think is pretty fascinating for something that was probably in development in '04.

28 May 2023, 23:03 PM

The Lead Sound designers for COH1 were all male, FWIW.

0:48

unless the credits are wrong or jennifer is a dude /shrug
29 May 2023, 01:07 AM

the game should speak for itself and it does, whenever you are confronted with corporate speak just see what the game is saying instead...
29 May 2023, 10:13 AM

I honestly couldn't care less about the sound design. It sounds fine to me. The game just developed a boring meta quickly and there are only two 4v4 maps. That's the long and short of it for me.

4vs4 and boring meta... I have a bad news for you :blush:

29 May 2023, 10:20 AM
29 May 2023, 13:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2023, 10:13 AMEsxile

4vs4 and boring meta... I have a bad news for you :blush:

Look down on us, 4vs4 scrubs, all you want, but the game is fun, it has its unique rhythm, diverse amount of usable units/commands, and the balance was fine.

Some low-hanging garbage is there in 4vs4, but once you have the "counter long range arty" commanders in your pocket, it becomes a fun game where people bring out all the dumb shit that is either not viable in small modes, or simply takes far too long to get to the field.

All we wanted was some modernization, and the new-life in the form of live-service content delivery...
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS