Login

russian armor

Soviet Faction Design

1 May 2023, 12:09 PM

I will lay my cards on the table here and say that returning to the Eastern front is what makes the most sense for further factions in the game. I wouldn’t mind seeing factions from Japan/Italy but overall I feel the Eastern front to be the most logical answer, from both a gameplay perspective, historical accuracy but also because players liked Soviets and Ostheer, so I imagine it would be a crowd pleaser.

Therefore, here is what my design for Soviets would be. I don't think that Relic should release any new factions for at least a year, but I imagine that work will start on new ones soon. A few notes, I’m going to be sparse with the text as these faction posts become monotonous if they’re too long. The design itself tries to make best use of the new features (towing) as well as using units that were not in Coh2, to keep things interesting.

This diagram mostly speaks for itself, however some notes:

Gaz Truck is basically your tow and reinforcement vehicle for the faction, it has 2 upgrades which can be upgraded after either T1.5 or T2.5 has been unlocked. These include:

- Quad Mount, 4 maxims, for surpressing infantry and performing AA roles.
- Ambulance version.

The BA-64 is basically on a similar power level to the 221 Scout car and arrives at a similar timing to reflect this. Could potentially have a PTRS upgrade making it a light vehicle counter.

The 72-K is a 25mm AA gun, my assumption would be that this would have similar power levels to the Flak 30 AA but require towing to get around, so not unlike the Bofors in that respect.

The T-60 has a 20mm gun as opposed to a 45mm one, so my assumption would be that this would be more similar to the Humber in lethality but closer to the 8 rad in survivability.

The BT-7 would fulfill the same role as the Stuart and Chaffee of being primarily used against light vehicles. It could also have a 76mm howitzer upgrade replacing the main gun, making it effective against infantry with a slow moving projectile like the Stug D.

Guards would be 6 man again but start with SVT rifles and can be upgraded with either DPs, PPSH SMGs or PTRS rifles, but in my opinion they shouldn’t have a mix of weapons again. The T-26 would be similar power level to the Crusader and fill that role of generalist light tank. The 52-K is an 85mm AA gun, which again would be towed and serve the same purpose as the Flak 88. The SU-122 would fill the same role as the Brumbar. And finally the M-30 would be the primary lategame indirect option.

In keeping with my suggestions for a Substitutable units feature, I would recommend being able to do the following unit substitutions:

OB-25 -> PM-41
M-42 -> Zis-2
BA-10 -> BT-7
KV-8 -> SU-122
DS-39 -> Maxim.

In terms of teching design, the basic idea is a T1/T2 split, where either way you go, you will have access to basic AT and your primary concern is whether you want suppression or indirect. Another advantage of this split is that it compliments 2v2s, in that one player can go for each tier and have all the bases covered. Then having reached either tier, you have a plethora of options. Each tier has a .5 tier, which contains units of mid game power. The T60 and BT-7 are not unlike the Humber and Stuart combo and the BA-64 with 72-K combo is more akin to the offering of the Luftwaffe tier in Wehr. However, for a similar price, you could tech directly for T3 and get Elite infantry and the SU-76, which would be a lot more at home in Coh3 with the Marders than in Coh2. Going into the late game, players have the option of spamming T-26 tanks, which would not be far from Carro Armatos and Crusaders, with the back up of the 52-K, which is the Soviet Flak 88 in function. However, the real late game steam roller would be T4, with the main battle tank, heavy anti infantry tank, heavy tank destroyer and heavy indirect fire, its everything you could need.

I’m still thinking of how I want to approach upgrades with this design, but I will come back to that!

1 May 2023, 15:06 PM

Please please give the Soviets the T-35 xDD
1 May 2023, 15:07 PM

Doctrinal, like the black prince lmao.
2 May 2023, 09:18 AM

First, let's define the events. If the Red Army should somehow correlate with the events of the Third Part, then this is 1944. Belgrade Operation - Serbia is the closest to the Italian Theatre.

Then no Conscripts and Molotov Cocktails, only grenades and AT grenades. The Molotov cocktail is an improvised anti-tank weapon of the early years. The infantrymen of the Red Army are called Strelki (Rifleman) or Motostrelki (Motorized Rifleman).

BT-7 and T-26 with similar weapons and armor?
T-26 third tier? Not by events. If out of events, then the T-50 is on the third tier.

As a tractor for guns, the Ya-12 is more appropriate as a tractor of the late period. Because the GAZ truck will not drag the Howitzer.

If, again, the events somehow relate to Belgrade, then the main tank is the T-34-85 on the 4th tier.

But I do not think that Belgrade is the best option for adding the USSR. The best option is the Hungarian Operation and Balaton. Then forget about the BT-7 and T-26, they were not there. SU-76, SU-76i, M10 (which was listed as SU-76 in Soviet documents) T-34, T-34-85, SU-85/85M, SU-100, ISU-122, ISU-152, IS- 1, IS-2. One of the largest parachute operations was planned for the Hungarian operation, so the parachute divisions were united into a parachute army. That's what could be there. On the German side German and Hungarian units
2 May 2023, 16:23 PM

First, let's define the events. If the Red Army should somehow correlate with the events ..

Historical accuracy is not my concern. Gameplay though.

The point about the Gaz truck is interesting though, I don’t know if it would justify a separate tow vehicle though.
2 May 2023, 16:52 PM

Historical accuracy is not my concern. Gameplay though.

The point about the Gaz truck is interesting though, I don’t know if it would justify a separate tow vehicle though.

So did Relic, and that's why they screwed up with the campaign so much in the second part of the game.
3 May 2023, 02:27 AM

So did Relic, and that's why they screwed up with the campaign so much in the second part of the game.

It's alright. Relic has already made it clear that historical accuracy isn't really on the menu for CoH 3. It is what it is.
3 May 2023, 09:45 AM

I hope next and first DLC will rework COH2 Soviet and Ost Werh,but maybe should like COH3 use tech about 1943 although we see Black Prince in Africa.
For Soviet and Ost maybe could like DAK reinforcement system.Soviet mainline Infantry replace by RedArmy Squad,Soviet could call Penal Squad,Heavy weapons team(like COH2 Dshk HMG,120mm mortar and ZIS-3 AT GUN),Maxim and 82mm mortar and M42 could be based unit in base building.
And commissar is very important for Soviet,maybe could like COH1 EF Mod,give Soviet Commissar squad and Commander Squad for Ost Wehr.
3 May 2023, 17:53 PM

And commissar is very important for Soviet,maybe could like COH1 EF Mod,give Soviet Commissar squad and Commander Squad for Ost Wehr.

I actually really like that idea. That was a cool dynamic.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 39
unknown 37
South Africa 1
Germany 393
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L