Login

russian armor

Any reasons to play CoH 3 4v4 currently?

7 Apr 2023, 23:20 PM

This isn't a "hate thread", I'm being genuine here.

I'm a 4v4 player. Most of you who've seen me comment already know this. I play Allies mostly, but I play both depending on what arranged team I'm playing with (I'm more competent with allies I think). For CoH 3 4v4 I settled into playing USF, because I liked the customizability/versatility that it had in theory over Brits. Otherwise I played DAK.

To me, it's pretty clear that the playerbase thinks Axis is OP in CoH 3. I'm drawn to underdogs, because I like to be confident that my skill is what allowed me to win, not overtuned units , etc (Sidenote: I think allies easily have counters to axis gameplay, but not without corny sh*t like blobbing and spamming units). So, I mostly played Allies. I also like to play games, so I didn't play much Axis, as their queue times were 10+ minutes long because everyone is playing them (as opposed to Allies who have a sub 2 minute wait at pretty much all times).

I played a crap ton of CoH 3 during the multiplayer alpha, and the first week of release. The 2 maps got old quick, and I'm pretty sure that I played all the possible permutations of battlegroups + support center combinations.

All my friends I play 4v4 with have stopped playing CoH 3, and I dislike solo queue 4v4, because somehow the game usually finds players even more monke than I am to put me on the same team as.

I've gone back to CoH 2 just b/c I have more fun playing it. Does anyone here have some reasons why I might want to come back?

I'm down to queue up with people in CoH 3 if you've got room for someone rank 1700 in coh2 :clap:.
8 Apr 2023, 13:26 PM

Nah, CoH3 4v4 is currently either infinite axis queue or play brits and blob sections on the same 2 maps.

Whenever friends invite me for full arranged team I am happy to play, other than that no thanks.
8 Apr 2023, 16:05 PM

My take from these comments:
- Coh2 4v4 was the most popular mode of play with the most players.
- Coh3 balance is too far off to bother playing 4v4.
- There are only 2 maps. As a mapper, 4v4 maps are the easiest to make.

So, Relic decided to do the least work on the largest game mode that affects the most players. Single player aside.

Math checks out. Must have been taken from the playbook.
8 Apr 2023, 20:08 PM

I was also a 4v4s-only player. I played less than half of my games premade (either queueing as duo for 4vs4, or full-on premade team), but I also liked solo. Leavers and poor matchmaking pushed me away from CoH2 multiplayer - I just don't have time for the game that doesn't filter game-ruining players.

I liked the chaos, the dumb action that happened in 4vs4: the heroic plays, the mass bombardments, the blob wipes, the heavy tank battles, AVRE/Sturmtiger moneyshots, Cromwell crush, max range Elefant or Tulips kills - it was all spectacle like in the trailers.

I don't see that in CoH3. It lacks the maps, polish and balance - yes, but it is also missing that spectacle/cinematic aspect. You do not replicate it with more troops, or more tanks, or some visual tweaks - you need these one-dimensional units that have their moments. Spectate teammates or make plays, feel amazing when it works, laugh when your tank drives over the mine as you go for the crush - game is fun. Laugh when the enemy's strategy crumbles, or cry when they close the pocket.

CoH audience is old. I think all of us (people who started with CoH1 or 2) now have more income and less time. Relic would have to fix both: include those spectacle units, and increase the quality of matchmaking. Until then, why would you play 4vs4s.

9 Apr 2023, 10:33 AM

My take from these comments:
- There are only 2 maps. As a mapper, 4v4 maps are the easiest to make.

They probably aren`t aware that 4v4 is the most popular playmode considering which community members are working with them. They are all 1v1 guys AFAIK. The likes of DevM or AE (1v1 tournament foucsed).
9 Apr 2023, 13:20 PM

They probably aren`t aware that 4v4 is the most popular playmode considering which community members are working with them. They are all 1v1 guys AFAIK. The likes of DevM or AE (1v1 tournament foucsed).

Maybe

Relic should have all of the stats. I have heard community members say Relic has their own stats they follow.

Maybe they thought, if people get bored with 4v4 they can play 2v2. So they made more 2v2 maps?

Or maybe they focused on smaller maps (1v1, 2v2) since they are faster to make at a high quality?

Or maybe they think 4v4 maps are hard to make since DevM, Tarnation, et al dont play high level 4v4? Maybe they seem easier to me since 4v4 is all I play.

EDIT:
I am pretty dumb and seemed to get some good results in 4v4 mapping with some help from top players. Maybe Relic could have reached out to me? Oh thats right, they never did. They didnt even have me look at Coh3 before release. Didnt see the maps, the editor, etc. Didnt even know it was a thing until it was announced.

Just kidding, I was looking at current map stats for 1v1 and stumbled across these stats. Usually Red Ball and Hamburg take turns in the 2nd place spot. 2,3,4 all jostle around. I just got lucky and have no idea what I am doing.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★