Login

russian armor

The kindness of the world about Rommel

9 Mar 2023, 13:29 PM

I'm shocked at this kindness on Rommel.

He was a general in the German army and a Nazi, a hero of the third reich according to Hitler. He contributed greatly to the German war effort and to its victory. Why is this guy so popular?

Why the glorification of this character ?

as an example of this "cool" image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn0459nu6Z0&ab_channel=POLARB3AST

For God sake :facepalm:
9 Mar 2023, 13:31 PM

But I welcome relic's desire to make the German army Solo playable, but I think they did it because Rommel has a cool image in the world.
9 Mar 2023, 14:35 PM

Strange post... Are you saying that because this person is featured as a character in the campaign that you are worried that it might cause people to glorify him? Sadly, you'll probably be able to find a pretty dedicated community of idiots somewhere in the world who are willing to prop up pretty much any awful/evil person in history, even figures like Hitler and Stalin.

Relic probably chose him because he was widely regarded alongside Patton as one of the best generals of the war, though there's still a lot of debate about that amongst historians. Nothing to with his 'image' or Nazi apologists.
9 Mar 2023, 15:29 PM

Strange post... Are you saying that because this person is featured as a character in the campaign that you are worried that it might cause people to glorify him? Sadly, you'll probably be able to find a pretty dedicated community of idiots somewhere in the world who are willing to prop up pretty much any awful/evil person in history, even figures like Hitler and Stalin.

Relic probably chose him because he was widely regarded alongside Patton as one of the best generals of the war, though there's still a lot of debate about that amongst historians. Nothing to with his 'image' or Nazi apologists.

yeah, ok
9 Mar 2023, 18:25 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

He was a general in the German army and a Nazi, a hero of the third reich according to Hitler. He contributed greatly to the German war effort and to its victory. Why is this guy so popular?

Hi Quentin!

You make a reasonable point, but Rommel was a complex character.

If you did not know, Rommel was faced with a choice in 1944, when it was discovered he had been involved in the July plot to depose Hitler. Consequently, he was presented with 3 choices, the 'best' of which was suicide. This was the course he chose, in order to protect his family.

Wikipedia sets out the skeleton of his life and career.

Hitler may have declared Rommel a hero, but it was Hitler who ordered his death.

As the fog of war lifts slowly from the propaganda of both sides in WWII, it is necessary to keep all things in review.
9 Mar 2023, 18:41 PM

I knew this story but I thought it was a lie from the allies to demonize Rommel. It's a theory.

Afterwards, I am rather neutral concerning the Second World War, but I point out the contradiction between the demonization of Nazism and the glorification of Rommel in public opinion.

I'm very happy that for once the single-player campaign includes a part with the German army.

Nevertheless I note that they felt obliged to speak of the Jews so as not to offend political correctness.
9 Mar 2023, 20:21 PM

Hi Quentin!

You make a reasonable point, but Rommel was a complex character.

If you did not know, Rommel was faced with a choice in 1944, when it was discovered he had been involved in the July plot to depose Hitler. Consequently, he was presented with 3 choices, the 'best' of which was suicide. This was the course he chose, in order to protect his family.

Wikipedia sets out the skeleton of his life and career.

Hitler may have declared Rommel a hero, but it was Hitler who ordered his death.

As the fog of war lifts slowly from the propaganda of both sides in WWII, it is necessary to keep all things in review.

No nation is perfect. France had Vichy France, USA had Trump and 6 January insurrection, while UK had Johnson and Brexit...Sh1t happens

Rommel was executed because he knew of the 20 July Plot and didn't say anything - not because he participated. And a word on the 20 July plot - Beck and von Stauffenberg and the rest of the major plotters had been perfectly happy to see Poland and Czechoslovakia wiped off the map, and Stauffenberg specifically supported the colonization of Poland by the Germans. Their contention with Hitler was that he was losing the war and endangered the German state - the German state that they, in the Prussian tradition, wanted to control.

The lionization of these losers has been one of the most lasting copes for wehraboos everywhere and the supposed honor of the Wehrmacht. But for them, it was not about tyranny, or republicanism - or even about nazism or imperialism. They were just mad that Hitler and the NSDAP had more control over the German state than they did, and feared the loss of that state, which is why they were so eager to try to make a peace with the western allies. This was itself a futile affair since the Allies had already agreed at Casablanca to accept nothing but an unconditional surrender, so no doubt the war would have continued anyway.
9 Mar 2023, 22:17 PM

The idea that the WWII was about the benevolent forces (allies) fighting the evil force (Axis) is simply naive.

The best proof of that is that after the WWII ended people did no leave happily ever after.

Instead an age a fear started lasting 50 years called "cold war" that was anything but "cold" with around 40 million people dying in conflicts around the world supported by the two coalitions that there formed.
10 Mar 2023, 01:15 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

10 Mar 2023, 01:38 AM

Trace back in WW1 why the Brits respected Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron, you would know why they respect Rommel.

War was never good against evil.
10 Mar 2023, 06:17 AM

good to see you again Maj :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment