Login

russian armor

AI Won't Build Some Base Buildings

14 Feb 2023, 22:05 PM

Hello again, having completed Ostheer for my mod, I went to check that the AI is playing it correctly once again. I've seen them build all of the buildings throughout playtests, however now seemingly they've given up. They build the first two buildings happily but when it comes to the two armour-production buildings they just seem to ignore them. For clarification this faction is balanced around the Command Point mechanic, and uses that as a currency for its battle phase tiering, which makes me think that the problem may lay there.

What's confusing is that I've seen them produce all of the buildings before which makes me wonder why not now. I haven't changed the costs, nor anything in the buildings besides adding an extra couple of upgrades which you'd think would make the buildings seem more appealing.

I have gone into army and provided the ai_production_info with the upgrades, upgraded squads, and unlocked buildings as well as setting the utility to 1000 in ai_econonmy for said upgrades.

I have checked, and they have more than enough resources to produce them at any point, however half of the time they refuse to upgrade past Battle Phase 1. Would love some help on this.
15 Feb 2023, 06:29 AM
Modmaker Badge

I've found that working with AI isn't always reliable and it's usually better to just brute force these things rather than spend hours testing in the hope that something might work.

Having an upgrade that detects if the player is an AI will enable you to have much more control over how it behaves. This way you can just have things on delay timers and spawn the buildings.
15 Feb 2023, 18:33 PM

Having an upgrade that detects if the player is an AI will enable you to have much more control over how it behaves. This way you can just have things on delay timers and spawn the buildings.

Yep, saw that thread after posting. I have AI specific upgrades in the two armour production buildings now, however it didn't seem to change anything. I'm not sure if it's that they simply don't find the upgrade to those buildings appealing enough or what, but it does mean that games vs this AI on any difficulty become rather easy the moment your own armour comes out which is frustrating. From a Human perspective this is an obvious upgrade yet the AI thinks otherwise clearly.

I am open to delay timers spawning in the buildings even if it's not the most elegant way to achieve the result I'm looking for. My only issue is certain maps may have geometry in the way of the predetermined building location offsets.
17 Feb 2023, 23:11 PM

For anyone in the future having similar problems, I have no solution, however to clarify I have solved it by re-arranging some player upgrades and possible build orders. It did compromise my faction a bit but it's nothing I'll lose sleep over.
18 Feb 2023, 21:02 PM
Modmaker Badge

The AI will choose whatever option within a building that has the highest priority (note this 'priority' is separate from utility and I don't know the specifics of how the AI calculates this). So, for example, when given the option to build a 0 cost upgrade or something like engineers it might choose engineers first. It is for this reason that those hidden AI upgrades should be put in a building that has no other functionality like weapon racks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 26
Germany 1
Germany 690

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak