Login

russian armor

CoH3 is actually pretty good

15 Jan 2023, 17:00 PM

It's always easier to see problems than it is to appreciate the overall big picture and huge quantity of work that's gone into making something. Also, remember that when CoH2 was first released, a lot of people just hated the style and didn't feel like it was responsive or comfortable to play, but later grew to love it.

So I just wanted to say thanks to Relic... while there are many valid nitpicks, CoH3 (multiplayer) IMHO already has achieved some absolutely amazing stuff
  • Most of the best gameplay aspects of CoH1 and CoH2 combined.
  • Four EXTREMELY varied, interesting and cool factions.
  • More potential playstyle options and strategic choices than ever.
  • Big-picture thinking in terms of asymmetric faction design and how games fit together.
  • High quality maps encouraging varied gameplay

Yes there are many things that need polishing and, let's be honest, are not 100% ready yet...
  • Graphics & sound may be more "realistic" but don't provide game feedback in a clear way
  • UI not yet in a consistent and polished style
  • E.g. some new animations look amazing and realistic, some awkward and buggy
  • Plenty of game balance will be needed as the community works out the metas

But yea... FYI I am not shilling for Relic, I just thought it's also nice to get some positive feedback out there. Polish is definitely needed but there's already a HUGE amount of content and a potentially amazing game there.
15 Jan 2023, 17:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2023, 17:00 PMEuan
It's always easier to see problems than it is to appreciate the overall big picture and huge quantity of work that's gone into making something. Also, remember that when CoH2 was first released, a lot of people just hated the style and didn't feel like it was responsive or comfortable to play, but later grew to love it.

So I just wanted to say thanks to Relic... while there are many valid nitpicks, CoH3 (multiplayer) IMHO already has achieved some absolutely amazing stuff
  • Big-picture thinking in terms of asymmetric faction design and how games fit together.

Yes there are many things that need polishing and, let's be honest, are not 100% ready yet...
  • Graphics & sound may be more "realistic" but don't provide game feedback in a clear way

But yea... FYI I am not shilling for Relic, I just thought it's also nice to get some positive feedback out there. Polish is definitely needed but there's already a HUGE amount of content and a potentially amazing game there.

True, people were VERY critical of COH2 when it released. But the fact is that COH2 has maintained a higher player base for longer than COH1 ever did, so they must have done something right.

I'm having fun with the playtest and the game is growing on me. There are alot of issues that have to be ironed out such as some UI elements that are far worse than in previous titles, directional audio not working as intended and some serious framerate drops when big explosions are happening. I'm confident that it will get better with time, just like COH2.

In terms of the graphics...yes, I wish it had more of a wow-factor and that it would be a further leap forward in terms of the technical fidelity, but honestly I didn't spend thousands and thousands of hours in COH2 for its graphics but for its addicting gameplay. But yeah, I get it, people expect the cinematic quality of the game to be far better in 2023, and I can't blame them. COH2 and COH3 are nearly 10 years apart and it doesn't show.
15 Jan 2023, 17:37 PM

15 Jan 2023, 18:53 PM

True, people were VERY critical of COH2 when it released. But the fact is that COH2 has maintained a higher player base for longer than COH1 ever did, so they must have done something right.

Eh, not fair comparison for two reasons.

1st. Coh2 came out faster after CoH1. Than CoH3 came out after CoH2
Imagine if coh3 was released 3 years ago.

But most importantly, the second reason.
Original publisher for Company of Heroes was THQ, which went down, and when the IP was sold to Sega, a lot of stuff that got broken during the fallout never got fixed.
Basically a lot of server functionality of CoH1 SEGA never recovered. Stuff like ranks, friends list, bunch other that I cannot remember.
Why would they fix everything for CoH1 or give it support? They wanted the playerbase to forget the old game and look toward the new.
15 Jan 2023, 19:24 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

OP has very good points.

CoH3's gameplay looks good. You can see that they aim for a lot of variety in builds, teching, units and many more. It's great. Many things will cause issues down the line and be redesigned/removed, but overall it is a big step forward from CoH2 even after years of patches.

Assuming that there will be no major overhaul until release, I'll rate the game "okay", a bit worse than CoH2. I won't play at launch, but probably 6-12 months down the line, once the major things got fixed. I personally don't have many reasons to doubt that CoH3 will be the better game in the mid and long term.
16 Jan 2023, 12:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2023, 17:00 PMEuan

Thanks, mate :)

Yeah, i´ve played the beta 20h. With some people i connect within this beta said, that they love this game so much: Some of the good points i can tell:

1. Sound: While we have grown up with alot of evolution of sound design, especially in Coh1 and
coh2 (remember the mg42 sound), we think this sound is a new level forward. Its amazing to here
when they rush into the house with "breach" ability, or when they speak in a house or in an
shermantank. In another battle in one of the 2v2 city maps we played against wehrmacht and the
soundtrack was so intensive like being in a city when we would go step by step into the streets of
Berlin.
2. Gameplay: i agree with you: We compare the gameplay with CS:GO. CS:GO was the best mix of CS
Source and CS: 1.6. It was the best deciscion they make and this is for CoH3 too. One of my
friends told me, that he didnt like the slower gameplay mechanic compare to coh2. But he
recognize, that this will do coh3 more tactical then the previous game and i can absolutly agree
with him.
3. More potenzial playstyle: Battlegroups have an addictive potenzial. They are more fun than all
kinds of doktrin ever before. Yes, in coh1 they are great, but in this beta i can play with this
and start an a) Airborne doctrin with Airborne-MG choice and begin with rifles or
b) I choose the weapon center and mix it with pathfinder and Airborne-soldier. They are plenty of
differnet ideas.
4. Compare to other products and the beta in coh1 and coh2 from the past, this beta worked a lot
of better. No bugs i´ve recognize so far and i can play all faction without fearing about some
weird bug strats from other factions (only 1v1)

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS