Login

russian armor

COH3 is going to be a massive flop

17 Jan 2023, 15:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2023, 13:00 PMKatitof

Have you changed settings to full screen, maxed everything high resolution?
Some shaders and shadows in general can be tweaked, but the game looks great.

You don't feel it looks that good, because of leap CoH2 had over CoH1 being significant, when graphics improved a LOT generation to generation and it really is not possible to go that far for CoH3 without forcing everyone to get 30xx GPUs to run it, modern graphical improvements are really just higher resolutions and more FPS, textures itself are pretty much at peak.

100% this.

And I get the feeling the people who cry about graphics are playing on the wrong settings or watching the "wrong" CoH3 videos at this point. Whenever I checked out Tightrope and Orangepest, the graphics looked at least as good as in CoH2
17 Jan 2023, 17:46 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I changed my mind about CoH3.

I think Relic hit the nails on the head. OFC some things need work, but the gameplay is very good.
17 Jan 2023, 17:52 PM

the graphics looked at least as good as in CoH2

Rosbone lunatic manifesto incoming...

The graphics should look much better. But they dont. They look bad. I have seen so many FPS games come out that I cant tell if its a real people in the video or a game rendering. And Coh3 looks like Unreal Tournament 2004 at best. Year 2000 era graphics.

As I stated:
- Weird fogging going on. No contrast in image.
- Shadows were too light. Brightness/Gamma issue.
- Lack of specular highlights.
- Maps with sun in front of camera creates extra shadows on units that makes them contrast more. Coh3 maps could be recompiled.
- Trees and bushes waving around in weird patterns and speeds. Coh2 looks 10x better.
- Vehicles flopping around like they are having a seizure.
- Units running too fast. All I heard was Yakkity Sax the whole time.
- People crying about "realistic" skins has made the units blend right into the terrain. Cause you know, they are wearing camo colors, Derp.

It looks to me like the Art department at Relic did a great job as always. But the tech group has not reached the level it should be at.

They are close. I could fix 80% of this stuff in a few hours myself if I was at Relic. Yet here we sit looking at the same crap we have seen for almost a year. As usual with Relic, I just sit with my head in my hands muttering aloud "Whaaaat? Whyyyy? Hoowwwwww? But..... Who the fook is working there....???"

Game play options looked really solid. Maybe that is because it is too new. But it is very hopeful.

So I see the garbage graphics as a let down. Not a major limiting factor in purchases. Wii taught us, graphics are not everything and I loved the Wii for that reason.

But the Wii had great feedback to players. Some streamers/players did not feel that feedback with Coh3. Probably just need some time to adjust to the new sounds/cues/etc?

PERSONALLY, things I do not like:
- Camera Movement is herky jerky. Especially with elevation.
- Cant shift and move with arrows. Other hotkey issues and complaints.
- Color schemes are broken or so ugly I want to puke. Sturmpanther stated they are already fixed in final version.
- Center Unit card GUI block is way too big. There is a lot of wasted GUI space.
- Giant message queues on left are way too big.
- Its a PITA to see number of kills. This is what drives casual sales and Relic hid them away.
- Stats at the end of a game are useless. This is what drives casual sales and Relic deleted them.
- The current rendering/map lighting state makes me want to stab out my eyes rather than play because it looks so bad and would take minutes to fix.
- dancing trees and bushes destroy immersion.
- Seizure vehicles destroy immersion.
- Yakkity sax unit movement destroys immersion.

It all makes me laugh so hard. They spend so much time making marketing videos, traveling to europe to get the art and feels, making streams talking about the game... and then cant fix stuff that would take a noob like me a day to fix. I just cant wrap my head around the level of incompetence.
17 Jan 2023, 18:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2023, 17:52 PMRosbone
People crying about "realistic" skins has made the units blend right into the terrain. Cause you know, they are wearing camo colors, Derp.

It's almost like... that's what camo is for xD
17 Jan 2023, 18:10 PM

It's almost like... that's what camo is for xD

18 Jan 2023, 22:00 PM

It's looks better IMO
18 Jan 2023, 23:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2023, 13:00 PMKatitof
You don't feel it looks that good, because of leap CoH2 had over CoH1 being significant, when graphics improved a LOT generation to generation and it really is not possible to go that far for CoH3 without forcing everyone to get 30xx GPUs to run it, modern graphical improvements are really just higher resolutions and more FPS, textures itself are pretty much at peak.

I think you're right about talking about many other games, I highly doubt that's the case here. I remember when BF1 came out in 2016 being blown away by what were basically photorealistic graphics, which of all the games I've played that was a first. Now a ton of games have photorealistic visuals or pretty close to it, a lot of them aren't even made by gigantic AAA developers. Just look at Ready or Not for example, new small developer and the maps are insanely good looking, practically on par with the new COD (the character models aren't quite there but whatever). Another example look at the last 3 Eugen titles (SDN44, SD2, Warno). The units aren't as detailed as COH2+3, especially the infantry, but when you zoom in the maps look pretty damn close...and this is a game of much larger scale where you're intended to play from 30k feet up in the skybox. And shockingly it does all that while running well on a medium tier gaming rig.

COH3 has a pretty odd aesthetic to it. On one hand it doesn't blow you away with how true to life the visuals are, but the art style doesn't look particularly stylized either. It just kinda looks like what would've passed for great graphics back in 2014. That said it never really came across as bad, I'm not going to trash it for looking hideous because it looks reasonably ok for an RTS imo. But I don't buy the argument that this is peak graphics and couldn't have looked any better, or that if it did look any better nobody would be able to run it.
20 Jan 2023, 15:11 PM

I can't agree more, I have 4000 hours of COH2, so I can say that I'm a fan of the brand, and I couldn't play the COH3 Demo for more than half an hour. The day I installed Coh2 was the day I stopped playing the previous game, I was immediately hooked on it, and I can't say the same about this game, on the contrary.
I play exclusively online, always with the zoom out to the maximum, but in COH3, in the demo, this zoom was terrible,the units are to flat , I could hardly see them, they have strange movement, also with horrible colors. About the game mechanics, I couldn't use Shift for multiple captures in minmapa,as I'm used to do in coh2, they shouldn't break with everything we are used to, because I want a continuation of the previous game not a complete new one, so in short, I didn't like almost anything in COH3.
21 Jan 2023, 09:35 AM
Donator 11

Just replying to the original header insinuating CoH3 will fail massively. Given the state of the latest build, the decisive strategy of relic to improve on all aspects of the game while considering learnings from CoH1+2, and the strong vibe created after an excellent AoEIV with high sales numbers, no, I believe CoH3 will be a massive success, financially as well as in terms of gameplay.

We can reconvene end of the year for evaluation :)

21 Jan 2023, 15:52 PM

I really don't see the slightest reason to replace coh2 for coh3, this game was made with the widows of Coh1 in mind, there is nothing in the mechanics or the visual part that is an improved experience for anyone who likes coh2, absolutely nothing. You can bet, within two or three months after coh3 comes out, there will be more players online playing coh2 than coh3.
21 Jan 2023, 17:04 PM
Donator 11

I really don't see the slightest reason to replace coh2 for coh3, this game was made with the widows of Coh1 in mind, there is nothing in the mechanics or the visual part that is an improved experience for anyone who likes coh2, absolutely nothing. You can bet, within two or three months after coh3 comes out, there will be more players online playing coh2 than coh3.

I believe CoH3 will be an improvement on almost every aspect of CoH2 - for the majority of players. Granted, not sure if 2-3 months after release though.

If I had to, my guess would be within a year CoH3 will be the most played of the franchise, followed by CoH1 :)
22 Jan 2023, 22:30 PM

If I had to, my guess would be within a year CoH3 will be the most played of the franchise, followed by CoH1 :)

Bold prediction
23 Jan 2023, 14:41 PM

I believe CoH3 will be an improvement on almost every aspect of CoH2 - for the majority of players. Granted, not sure if 2-3 months after release though.

Maybe, there are new players who grew up playing Mobil games and Coh1 widows who are happy with the similarity between coh and coh3, but personally, and from what I'm seeing on YouTube and other sources, coh2 players are not pleased with the coh3.
I don't like the mechanics of the new game at all, and I'm not just talking about the graphics it's to far from coh2 but confess that I actually expected a continuity and not something almost completely new, but it could be my fault.
23 Jan 2023, 17:46 PM

Th I couldn't use Shift for multiple captures in minmapa,as I'm used to do in coh2, they shouldn't break with everything we are used to, because I want a continuation of the previous game not a complete new one, so in short, I didn't like almost anything in COH3.

I never had any problems with Shift capture orders. And I played builds that were far less polished than this one.
23 Jan 2023, 21:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2023, 17:46 PMSmartie

I never had any problems with Shift capture orders. And I played builds that were far less polished than this one.

They're referring to not being able to queue up capture orders from the minimap, which I remember having issues with as well. Shift cap worked fine, but not on the minimap.
23 Jan 2023, 22:37 PM

Had no problems shift queuing capture points in COH3 on the minimap
23 Jan 2023, 23:04 PM

Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I think it was either the resource points or manpower points you couldnt cap on the minimap. Either way, I know there were issues.
24 Jan 2023, 00:26 AM

Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I think it was either the resource points or manpower points you couldnt cap on the minimap. Either way, I know there were issues.

It worked okay for me on the minimap but sometimes resulted in immediate retreats when I used the regular screen. I'd agree with the people who said it is buggy.

FWIW - I don't think it will be a massive flop. It has a lot of customizeability which will make it a hit for the single-players.

The biggest thing that I saw that was wrong with it was the UI. It looks like it was optimized for a tablet. It's way too spread out, and the hot keys can't be easily used by just one hand. That won't work for competitive gaming, unless you're 14 years old and playing on your phone.
24 Jan 2023, 09:35 AM
Donator 11

Maybe, there are new players who grew up playing Mobil games and Coh1 widows who are happy with the similarity between coh and coh3, but personally, and from what I'm seeing on YouTube and other sources, coh2 players are not pleased with the coh3.
I don't like the mechanics of the new game at all, and I'm not just talking about the graphics it's to far from coh2 but confess that I actually expected a continuity and not something almost completely new, but it could be my fault.

I genuinely get where you coming from. CoH2 has developed into an amazing game on its decade-old life span. After all its been through, the current state of the game is the best CoH we ever had. And CoH3 will not start on this level. Not easy to let go.

But given the core features, strong infantry gameplay, battlegroup system, all the learning implemented from developing 2 CoH titles, and the clear dedication of relic and the community to make this good - I am very convinced we are going to enjoy CoH3 in a very short time quite a lot.
24 Jan 2023, 15:50 PM

I noticed it in the Single player Demo, if they fixed it was good, they can't completely broke with coh2 mechanics, if I bought the coh3 I need to not learn how to play a completely new game
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★