Login

russian armor

Feedback no.1: UI and Visual Language - What to improve

11 Jan 2023, 21:29 PM

Lets start making a list, I guess

1) Practically no visible effects for small arms fire, it just doesnt look like they are shooting

2) Some units and upgrades (Brit IS with the Bren for example) use that grey overshade, which is supposed to mark an unavailable ability, on their icons even when the upgrade is avaliable

3) In CoH2, when you leave game in background while searching for a match and go to the internet, you will see the green bar jumping left to right on the icon at the bottom of the screen, once it finds a match that green line shows you how far in the loading you are. This should return in CoH3
Edit: It does work under some circumstances, it did today when I went to MM alone, but not yesterday when I was with a party

4) Some weird icons above units head occasionaly appear with no explanation of what it means (a lighting for example or some cross)

5) MG firing arc marking has poor visibility

6) There is no way to check who does each army or units belong to, or even who you playing with or against, apart from the loading screen

7) Reverse of point two, offmap on cooldown (example US Airborne rocket run) has no marking that would show its on CD

8) Loading screen doesnt tell you what map you´re gonna be playing on
11 Jan 2023, 22:55 PM

12 Jan 2023, 00:52 AM

* Double-tap base keys (F1, F2...) doesn't center the view on the building like it used to

* Alt-tab select doesn't highlight the selected unit on the minimap like it used to

Actually I had a lot more of these on a list from the Alpha, but it looks like they've mostly been fixed, good job Relic
12 Jan 2023, 03:27 AM

Because they've been focusing on tactical pause so much there is no context action hotkey when you hit the spacebar in multiplayer. This needs to be rectified.

It might be because I've been staring at company of heroes 2 for almost a decade now but I feel the UI is quite grey/drab and the icons aren't very distinct or easy to see what is what at a glance.
12 Jan 2023, 03:43 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Because they've been focusing on tactical pause so much there is no context action hotkey when you hit the spacebar in multiplayer. This needs to be rectified.

It might be because I've been staring at company of heroes 2 for almost a decade now but I feel the UI is quite grey/drab and the icons aren't very distinct or easy to see what is what at a glance.

Because Spacebar is tactical pause by default, I believe they've replaced this with the "Delete" button. You should be able to change this in the settings menu.
12 Jan 2023, 07:54 AM

- Ingame event notification on the top left of the screen are huge and clutter up very easily in team games.

- Cant cancel units in the army tab anymore (rightclick), production queue of units in a weird space cramped between battlegroup abilities and UI

- army tab too small in my opinion and options to switch it to the top right does not work

(little off topic, I hope the main menu, lobbies and social system will look vastly different on launch)
12 Jan 2023, 07:56 AM

IMO the entire UI has to be re-done for this game. It`s just awful in so many ways. It`s WAY too hard to actually figure out what is going on. The icons are too small. There are weird icons coming up above units that are pointless/idk what they even mean. Grenade counters look like total crap. The unit bar is too small. I can`t believe Relic thinks this is somehow acceptable.

After the UI is fixed they need to look at graphics, sound, animations. Everything needs so much more work. There is no way this game can be released in less than two months without becoming another DOW3-esque disaster.

So disappointed ...

12 Jan 2023, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

General UI is okay in my opinion. Nothing particularly great, but it is okay.

Some points to add:

- buildings should have production queues. The only way to cancel the production is via the global queue but not in the building.

- the health bar still has a small animation to more slowly subtract the health after taking damage. Looks neat, but makes the game less readable, since it takes longer to clearly see the remaining health.

- can't nail down the exact reason, but both me and a friend had issues seeing what is going on in the game. One reason surely is thag we had to read a lot of the descriptions, but it feel that this is not the only reason. Something about the overall readability is off.
12 Jan 2023, 09:37 AM

General UI is okay in my opinion. Nothing particularly great, but it is okay.

- can't nail down the exact reason, but both me and a friend had issues seeing what is going on in the game. One reason surely is thag we had to read a lot of the descriptions, but it feel that this is not the only reason. Something about the overall readability is off.

I feel the same way, im unsure if its due to the fact that everything is kind of new or if the game in general just feels like a blur.

more points to add:

- pings are now the exact opposite of coh2, you dont notice them at all. no sounds, minimal animation on the map

- creeping barrage indicator completly wrong again... relic clearly doesnt learn from past mistakes. In general indicators are all over the place

- no kill counters, for me a big deal for learning the game and seeing what my top performers actually are. ( I fell like the italian field howitzer doesnt kill anything) Kill counters displayed when hovering over the XP bar

- no pop cap information on some call ins (Afrika korps non-battlegroup call ins)

- confusing and/or missleading unit-portraits.
Short and long barrel stug version are mixed up for wehrmacht
Towed Flak-88mm hiding in unit description of a utility car for Afrika-Korps
12 Jan 2023, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

- no kill counters, for me a big deal for learning the game and seeing what my top performers actually are. ( I fell like the italian field howitzer doesnt kill anything)

They are there. They are just displayed when you hover over - I think - the unit portrait or something. Slightly hidden, but at a spot that made sense.

- on a very positive note: The game gives you reminders of e.g. MP lying around or having command points to spend. This was great.
12 Jan 2023, 18:36 PM

i also think that the UI is garbage (couldnt find a nicer word)

what really bothers me, besides the horrible UI and the overall buggy mobile game feel, is that there is no "oomph" to right-clicking enemy units... in coh2 the mouse icon turns red and there is some sort of quasi-haptic feedback for right-clicking enemy units, which i really miss here

this game needs another delay, i wouldnt mind an extra year actually
13 Jan 2023, 08:31 AM

One big problem they need to takle with the UI is feedback of queueing units for production.

When you hit the hotkeys there is no feedback at all of your actions. You have to look at the awkward corner where the production queue is hidden between all the clutter on the right-hand side.

A problem that occured with me is also that I produced units by accident without knowing until it was too late due to this.

I really hope they give the UI another attempt, like others already pointed out there needs to be more feedback on your actions, everything just feels like a blur throughout the game.
13 Jan 2023, 10:35 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Ok, disclaimer, this is the first time I looked into anything CoH3 related and only played like 5 matches, so I was (and still am) kind of clueless about teching and what units are around at all. So, the GUI was probably more confusing to me than it would be after some getting used to it. That said:

I was kind of underwhelmed by the graphics. I felt that CoH2 overall looked better.

This is certainly personal preference. I know that a lot of people didn't like the higher color saturations in CoH2 compared with CoH1, but to me the new art style looks kind of bland. Low saturation (I like red actually be red and blue actually to be blue, rather than different shades of gray), all units kind of look the same, and I perceived the picture overall as blurry.

Several icons in the action/prodution menu are hard to make out and distinguish from another.

MG arcs are yellow (right?), but still even less clear to me.

Also, some of the effects (bomb runs and so on) don't look as impressive as they did in CoH2, it seems.

Now I did notice that at least some of the building's walls are made up by individual polygons (i.e. the damaged church in the central part of the standard "custom game" map). I thought that this helps with how damages work; I tried to shoot off a corner from the church with a PIV, but was a bit surprised that the shots would go through the church (?).

The GUI seems more chaotic now, but a) as mentioned that is likely because I don't really know yet what is going on and b) a side effect of not having the UI block on the bottom like in CoH2 which was previously critized for taking up too much space on the screen.

So, overall, my first impression is that this is essentially CoH1 with truesight and vaulting and some other QoL improvements (which - granted - is something that a lot of staunch CoH1 players wanted).

14 Jan 2023, 02:10 AM

COH3 UI too....shit....
At least batter like COH2,Unit tag could be bigger,and classify to 3 or 4 line for Infantry/Team weapon/Vehicle/Huge team weapon like COH2.
And music volume too low,weapons sound effect not good,hard to distinguish which weapons are firing.
14 Jan 2023, 05:11 AM

IMO the entire UI has to be re-done for this game. It`s just awful in so many ways. It`s WAY too hard to actually figure out what is going on. The icons are too small. There are weird icons coming up above units that are pointless/idk what they even mean. Grenade counters look like total crap. The unit bar is too small. I can`t believe Relic thinks this is somehow acceptable.

After the UI is fixed they need to look at graphics, sound, animations. Everything needs so much more work. There is no way this game can be released in less than two months without becoming another DOW3-esque disaster.

So disappointed ...

UI has to work on large screen TV seated further back....and gamepad inputs...

I still cant understand why relic thinks ps5 xbox players want to play this. How many sales they will get? 100K life time on consoles?
14 Jan 2023, 10:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2023, 05:11 AMmrgame2

UI has to work on large screen TV seated further back....and gamepad inputs...

I still cant understand why relic thinks ps5 xbox players want to play this. How many sales they will get? 100K life time on consoles?

i still cant understand how gamepad controls are supposed to work
14 Jan 2023, 19:15 PM

• Ability icons don't show when an ability is active
  • Controls still don't save after remapping
The general issue with the UI is that it's just unfinished. There are still placeholder icons everywhere in the CoH2 style, often with the wrong weapons or whatever... there's no unification of style. It's just not finished yet, it doesn't seem there's been a clear overall art direction. For example, for the "toggle" hotkeys, it's just a confusing mess...
  • Some keep the same icon but turn on the little light
  • Some have the same icon but it also goes gray
  • Some have totally different icons
  • Some put the red circle/line
I know it's an insane amount of work to develop a game and there are a lot of amazing improvements too, hopefully they have most of the little things mapped out for the final sprints or whatever, so they can at least get something visually consistent out for the final release.

Oh, and console is obviously a ridiculous idea by some incompetent exec that will dilute and damage the experience on PC... obviously... that has been the case for every game in the history of time. Except maybe Rocket League.
14 Jan 2023, 20:39 PM

In Coh2 I tend to hold down shift and arrow around to queue actions. You cant do this in Coh3.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★