Login

russian armor

Why are tank traps destroyable by tanks in 1 shot?

21 Nov 2013, 15:26 PM

Permanently Banned
Whats the point of the tank trap if a P4 can kill it in 2 shots and an SU85 in 1? They're a huge waste of time for the pioneer / engineer building them.

Their only theoretical use is to cut off M3A1's and un-upgunned 222's, but in practice its impossible because they can still just crash through barriers and fences your pioneers were unable to build on.

For comparison, in vCoH, tank traps can only be crushed by heavy tanks and can survive multiple artillery hits before dying. They were nearly unkillable by tank's weapon fire.
21 Nov 2013, 15:55 PM

For delaying actions, I guess?

They're free, so how much can you expect?
21 Nov 2013, 16:00 PM

They were free in vCoH too..what's your point? Even worse, they are doctrinal here

OP is right, this needs to be looked at
21 Nov 2013, 16:01 PM

I agree.
I'd only make them destroyable by the heavy doctrinal tanks (ISU152, IS2, Tiger and Elephant) and by pio/engies demolition charges (which need a reduction in ammo btw).
21 Nov 2013, 16:12 PM

For delaying actions, I guess?

They are free, but they also take away 1 out of 5 of your commander abilities. Besides, it's hardly a delay for tanks if they can be destroyed in 1 shot.

The tank traps need more hit points.

21 Nov 2013, 16:16 PM
Patrion 14

Dang, didnt know they were so weak. Yes, this definately needs a look at. As stated, it takes away 1 out of 5 other abilities, it needs to be able to stop mediums.
21 Nov 2013, 16:24 PM

Tank traps have 35 armor (= pretty much immune to small arms but vulnerable to everything else) and 250 hitpoints. 250 hitpoints are 2 hits from a Pz4/Stug/AT gun/Su-85 or 3 hits from a T-34/Panzerschreck (actually 2 hits and then a little more).
Remember that you normally have to destroy at least 2 to fit through and not each of your shots will hit them, so it will take a while for your opponent to break through.
In any case, nearly no units actually 1-shot those things. If you find your tank traps to be destroyed that easily you maybe didn't finish them (ghost tank traps?).

I prefer tank traps that can be dealt with within reasonably over tank traps that are pretty much indestructible. This way it can still delay the enemy tanks, allowing you to reposition your AT units and thwart his plans by delaying flanks.

If tank traps were to be tougher, they'd need to cost resources. Be careful what you wish for.
25 Nov 2013, 18:33 PM

I prefer tank traps that can be dealt with within reasonably over tank traps that are pretty much indestructible. This way it can still delay the enemy tanks, allowing you to reposition your AT units and thwart his plans by delaying flanks.

If tank traps were to be tougher, they'd need to cost resources. Be careful what you wish for.

Agree with this. They were too good in COH1 and were part of the Vire River Curse.

But it's a good point that they shouldn't be doctrinal. And they should be available to both sides.
26 Nov 2013, 08:53 AM

Part of the difference between coh and coh2 is that because of true sight coh2 maps are more clustered compared to more open, classic coh maps.

This has the potential to make tank traps more game breaking and easier to cause a large impact.

It's my opinion that this is both the reason they were left out to begin with and that they may be a little weaker than previously. I can't talk from experience because I've not tried them yet.
26 Nov 2013, 09:03 AM

But I have - fairly much.

And I can say as far as team games go, that they are good for the early to mid game. After that they become obsolete (for the soviets) because they do nothing to stop the endgame Steel Train *).

Team games are also - strangely - played on the maps with the most choke points. TTs are a real factor here and the point of not making them too tough is absolutely valid.

As far as 1v1 games go, it's a bit different. It will in principle be possible to derail a GER strategy based on SC or FHT rush.

But I estimate that this is not going to be a major deal for 95% of the players. Simply because of the micro time and (more importantly) the engineer time needed to build TTs.

In general I doubt that it will be cost effective in most cases to have an engie running around, making TTs away from the action.

AFAIK all the top level replays sees the engies be part of the fighting with flames and an occasional mine.

I could be mistaken ofc., but I don't see the TT being anything that would break competitive play. It could degenerate casual team play OTOH if it is made too strong.
--------------
*) Thanx to whomever it was who were participating in that 3v3 on Rzevh last night (ending 0-19). Kind of perverted of you to group 2 elephants and 4 panthers on the center of the map, but I admit that it was fun to destroy it...
26 Nov 2013, 16:24 PM

Here's an idea, what if engies could build some kind of obstacle that made tanks travel at slow speed while passing over them. That would be good for creating traps.
26 Nov 2013, 16:49 PM

Tank traps have 35 armor (= pretty much immune to small arms but vulnerable to everything else) and 250 hitpoints. 250 hitpoints are 2 hits from a Pz4/Stug/AT gun/Su-85 or 3 hits from a T-34/Panzerschreck (actually 2 hits and then a little more).
Remember that you normally have to destroy at least 2 to fit through and not each of your shots will hit them, so it will take a while for your opponent to break through.
In any case, nearly no units actually 1-shot those things. If you find your tank traps to be destroyed that easily you maybe didn't finish them (ghost tank traps?).

perhaps you have never used them but you dont have to destroy even one to fit trough. i dont know what was the purpose of that design. ¿make you click 2 more times?
26 Nov 2013, 22:05 PM

Even the tank traps sucks. I wonder who decided tank traps were op in coh and decided to nerf them. Not only are they weak but they are now a commander ability.... Coh was at 11 and got turned down to 4.
26 Nov 2013, 22:12 PM

Agree with this. They were too good in COH1 and were part of the Vire River Curse.

But it's a good point that they shouldn't be doctrinal. And they should be available to both sides.

Tank traps were only indestructible to tanks and small arms(except tanks with heavy crush). Engies and Pios had det packs to blow them up if needed. I think satchels and arty did damage against them as well.

The vire curse was from map design rather than a cause of strong tank traps. There were 3 funnels of death, tank traps or not, and were easy to defend.
27 Nov 2013, 10:10 AM

Tank traps were only indestructible to tanks and small arms(except tanks with heavy crush). Engies and Pios had det packs to blow them up if needed. I think satchels and arty did damage against them as well.

The vire curse was from map design rather than a cause of strong tank traps. There were 3 funnels of death, tank traps or not, and were easy to defend.

But that is almost also the case on several of the team maps in COH2.

I repeat myself, but I think TTs are OK as they are (except for being doctrinal).

If anyone has problems that a row of TTs can be penetrated by destroying just one TT, build a 2nd one behind. It's for free and takes Little time.

If your engie-time is too costly for it, then you don't need TTs in the first place.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★