Login

russian armor

[IGN First] #7 Tactical Pause

23 Sep 2022, 23:14 PM
27 Sep 2022, 17:19 PM

Its honestly depressing how much they talking about this. Singleplayer isnt what kept coh2 alive for almost decade
28 Sep 2022, 02:27 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Mastering tactical pause

lol

Disgusting.
28 Sep 2022, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Sep 2022, 02:27 AMnigo
Mastering tactical pause

lol

Disgusting.

The corporate bullshit speak is sometimes just sad. Press the button. Tactical pause mastered.
Surely they'll have a steam achievement for it.

Anyway, nice feature. I am not convinced it should be marketed that much, but hopefully I am wrong and it actually draws in a lot of new players.
28 Sep 2022, 10:44 AM

but hopefully I am wrong and it actually draws in a lot of new players.

I agree. The pause is a fantastic idea to try and grow the RTS genre.

When people play a game, they want to do just that... play. They want fun and relaxation. Playing/learning Coh in real time would be like learning algebra in a full on high speed competition with other students. The complete opposite of fun and relaxing.

Why is World of Tanks and World of Warships so much more popular than Coh? How is controlling ONE tank as fun as controlling dozens of units?

I always talk about the feedback we get from games. Like when you shoot a rocket launcher in an FPS or shoot a tank in World of Tanks. Your body anticipates and feels satisfied by the rocket firing and exploding. I dont think people get that experience when 20 things are all taking place at the same time in an RTS. And your are new to the game and cant tell what is even happening.

This is why comp stomp bridge maps are the most popular Coh mode. You have time to see what is happening and get the feedback of throwing arty down on a bunch of units.

I think a good example of this feeling is the game of Bowling. Getting a strike is the same feedback as a werfer erasing a squad. You feel all good and gooshy inside. Golf is the same thing. The instant gratification of a good drive.

This is why 4v4 is the more popular mode of the game. Playing 1v1 is like playing chess. Playing 4v4 is like lighting firecrackers. The feedback mechanisms are completely different.

Hopefully the pause lets players get into the right frame of mind to enjoy the feedback of their actions. It is those small moments that make a game successful.
28 Sep 2022, 11:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Sep 2022, 02:27 AMnigo
Mastering tactical pause

lol

Disgusting.

you got it wrong

Mastering Tactical Pause™®©
28 Sep 2022, 12:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Sep 2022, 10:44 AMRosbone

I agree. The pause is a fantastic idea to try and grow the RTS genre.

When people play a game, they want to do just that... play. They want fun and relaxation. Playing/learning Coh in real time would be like learning algebra in a full on high speed competition with other students. The complete opposite of fun and relaxing.

Why is World of Tanks and World of Warships so much more popular than Coh? How is controlling ONE tank as fun as controlling dozens of units?

I always talk about the feedback we get from games. Like when you shoot a rocket launcher in an FPS or shoot a tank in World of Tanks. Your body anticipates and feels satisfied by the rocket firing and exploding. I dont think people get that experience when 20 things are all taking place at the same time in an RTS. And your are new to the game and cant tell what is even happening.

This is why comp stomp bridge maps are the most popular Coh mode. You have time to see what is happening and get the feedback of throwing arty down on a bunch of units.

I think a good example of this feeling is the game of Bowling. Getting a strike is the same feedback as a werfer erasing a squad. You feel all good and gooshy inside. Golf is the same thing. The instant gratification of a good drive.

This is why 4v4 is the more popular mode of the game. Playing 1v1 is like playing chess. Playing 4v4 is like lighting firecrackers. The feedback mechanisms are completely different.

Hopefully the pause lets players get into the right frame of mind to enjoy the feedback of their actions. It is those small moments that make a game successful.

I agree 100% with this, a big core issue (which i think why games like total war warhammer is super successful) is that a lot of RTS's don't lean into the wow factor. I think COH could do it, but obviously when it comes to 1v1s etc thats not really feasible

I think units like the sturm-tiger etc all can allow for that "wow" factor and appreciation, but the problem really ends up being that the game's mechanics falter. Something you see quite a bit in tw warhammer (just try playing a single MP match you'll see what i mean instantly.)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS