Login

russian armor

Why was thompson riflemen never a thing?

22 Apr 2022, 19:10 PM

Can someone tell me the story of that?
22 Apr 2022, 20:15 PM

Cavalry Riflemen = Thompson Riflemen
22 Apr 2022, 22:40 PM

This + you have rangers or paras on 4 total commanders
23 Apr 2022, 00:40 AM

Because rifleman with bars are already good CC units.
23 Apr 2022, 02:08 AM

This + you have rangers or paras on 4 total commanders

Talking about Rangers, I still don't get :

1- Why they are still 3CP
2- Why do they still cost 10Pop
3- Why are they still inferior AT squads compared to PGrens while costing more in every regard and coming later
4- Why do they literally have 0 utility (smokes, abilities that is different than the crappy nade) while being worse assault troops than Shock troops
5- Why do they drop any weapon they have like easter eggs all over the place

------Cope post but seriously, WHY
23 Apr 2022, 03:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2022, 02:08 AMJilet

Talking about Rangers, I still don't get :

3- Why are they still inferior AT squads compared to PGrens while costing more in every regard and coming later
4- Why do they literally have 0 utility (smokes, abilities that is different than the crappy nade) while being worse assault troops than Shock troops

------Cope post but seriously, WHY

They used to have 10% Damage Reduction. It got removed because it wasn't clear to players that they had damage reduction just to give the damage reduction to Grenadiers the following patch. Thank the Balance Team for ruining the game.
23 Apr 2022, 07:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2022, 02:08 AMJilet

1-2) Not sure about that, they should probably reduce the pop at least

3) I think they are a better AT squad than pgrens actually. The drop rate can be an issue but 3x elite zooks is stronger than 2 shrecks imo

4) If they brought back the damage reduction it would be fine. Their raw combat power is supposed to make up for the lack of utility. Their grenade isn't bad but it's not special either

5) Side effect of having 3 weapons equipped. At least they can't drop the Thompsons lol
23 Apr 2022, 14:16 PM

Don't Cavalry Rifleman come with grease guns not the regular weapons so it is not truly a Thompson Rifleman squad.

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2022, 00:40 AMZyllen
Because rifleman with bars are already good CC units.

But they could have been better. I thought 1 Thompson was almost as good as 2 Bars. So 2 Thompsons would have made them great which would justify MP bleed to close in on opposing units.

It would have been a better doctrinal upgrade for Rifle company instead of the halftrack.
23 Apr 2022, 17:31 PM

Don't Cavalry Rifleman come with grease guns not the regular weapons so it is not truly a Thompson Rifleman squad.

5 grease guns, upgrading 2 grease guns into 2 Thompsons. Very dangerous CQC squad. Also comes with an AT satchel for 'some reason'.

But they could have been better. I thought 1 Thompson was almost as good as 2 Bars. So 2 Thompsons would have made them great which would justify MP bleed to close in on opposing units.

It would have been a better doctrinal upgrade for Rifle company instead of the halftrack.

Rifle Company used to have vet I riflemen call-ins off the bat and rifle flamers. This was not missed by anyone except meta abusers. I think this has influenced Rifle Company ever since.
23 Apr 2022, 18:20 PM

5 grease guns, upgrading 2 grease guns into 2 Thompsons. Very dangerous CQC squad. Also comes with an AT satchel for 'some reason'.

Rifle Company used to have vet I riflemen call-ins off the bat and rifle flamers. This was not missed by anyone except meta abusers. I think this has influenced Rifle Company ever since.

Yea, I would prefer regular Rifles with the 2 Thompsons and a snare since most engagments are med-long range. Might not get easy short range wipes but it would be easier to keep LV away. In rifle company, using sprint would allow for some close range shenanigans along with snare synergy like a few of those OST commanders.

Rifle commander used to be OP as hell, especially with my 3 Rifleman VET bulletins. Also wasn't the VET on the call in rifleman Random. I feel as though I remember getting Vet 2/3 Riflemans called in.
23 Apr 2022, 20:20 PM

Yea, I would prefer regular Rifles with the 2 Thompsons and a snare since most engagments are med-long range. Might not get easy short range wipes but it would be easier to keep LV away. In rifle company, using sprint would allow for some close range shenanigans along with snare synergy like a few of those OST commanders.

Rifle commander used to be OP as hell, especially with my 3 Rifleman VET bulletins. Also wasn't the VET on the call in rifleman Random. I feel as though I remember getting Vet 2/3 Riflemans called in.

Or you could just put BARs and ave functionally the same thing except better in every way. I don't see why anyone would want thompsons and garands on the same squad.
23 Apr 2022, 20:33 PM

Or you could just put BARs and ave functionally the same thing except better in every way. I don't see why anyone would want thompsons and garands on the same squad.

Because grease guns are ass at long range. Pretty self-explanatory.
23 Apr 2022, 20:40 PM

Sorry, you'll still have to explain making a squad shit at close range and long range would serve a point
23 Apr 2022, 20:54 PM

Well yes, I did say they were call-ins. There was apparently some variance, very rarely vet II.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/20425/veteran-riflemen-company
23 Apr 2022, 21:29 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Sanders once said the 10 pop stayed due to triple zooks. Which logically in turn means that AI Rangers could be worth only 9 population, but well.

Overall they are an okay squad, but bland in their design and gameplay.
23 Apr 2022, 21:41 PM

If you want a cqc squad it should have all cqc weapons in order to maximize its dps at the only range you should be using it at. Which is cqc. Three garands would not beat any squad at long range except assgrens or pioneers and if you have thompsons you should be closing to use them. Pretty self-explanatory.

If you want a squad that does passably well at medium-long while still being very good close-medium then get BARs.
23 Apr 2022, 22:08 PM

Sanders once said the 10 pop stayed due to triple zooks. Which logically in turn means that AI Rangers could be worth only 9 population, but well.

Overall they are an okay squad, but bland in their design and gameplay.

I mean, don't the triple zooks do the same damage as 2 schrecks while costing more, having less pen and have to hit 3 times rather than 2 times to do the same thing while also dropping less.
24 Apr 2022, 02:04 AM

If you want a cqc squad it should have all cqc weapons in order to maximize its dps at the only range you should be using it at. Which is cqc. Three garands would not beat any squad at long range except assgrens or pioneers and if you have thompsons you should be closing to use them. Pretty self-explanatory.

If you want a squad that does passably well at medium-long while still being very good close-medium then get BARs.

No thanks. I want a squad with one scoped garand, a grease gun, a PTRS, one thompson, and a luger.
24 Apr 2022, 02:35 AM

I mean from a game-design perspective usf has:
1) Rangers with CQC grade or x3 special weapons. Available at multiple commanders
2) Airborn with options be either long-range\close range squad. Available at 2 comms.

Both units are a proper elite inf.

Now Cav.rifles are not elite inf, taking damage close to the regular rifles I believe.
Turning them into a x3 zook squad is kinds worth it, but at the same time you can have ranges which are slightly more expensive to call-in but in terms of pop-cap they are even, making ranges a superior chose. Also ranges get elite zooks, while cav rifles dont, I believe.

So here comes the question, why USF even needed CQC squad with their mainline being already somewhat close\mid range oriented one. And on top of that other elite squads are showing better performance as a weapon platform.

Cav.rifles should have always been somewhat long range orientated 0-1CP call-in to help USF on maps where they struggle to get into sweet spot ranges.
I mean if UKF was allowed to have 0CP CQC squad to help them on maps where tommies are not viable, why USF could have one too.

Its even funnier if you look at it. UKF has:
1) 0CP semi-cqc\support\repair engi call-in
2) 0CP proper CQC mainline-type unit
3) 0CP close\mid range mainline-type unit

USF has ... oh wait they dont have anything, besides 3CP elites, to help them on the maps where rifles having hard time. Only pathfinders, which are just broken and aren't intended to be used as they used now :snfPeter:
24 Apr 2022, 03:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2022, 22:08 PMJilet

I mean, don't the triple zooks do the same damage as 2 schrecks while costing more, having less pen and have to hit 3 times rather than 2 times to do the same thing while also dropping less.

No that's incorrect. Rangers and paras get "elite" zooks. They do 100 damage each and have better pen than regular zooks

So 3x elite zooks can do more damage and have better RoF then 2x shrecks. Sightly worse pen still but the RoF more than makes up for that
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS