Login

russian armor

About the regions appering on top in matchmaking

16 Oct 2021, 18:23 PM

Hello.

Coming back to the game after a year or so, and now there is a region marker showing and I don't know if that means the game is region locked now and I can only get matches with people of the same region or not?
16 Oct 2021, 22:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It is a preference setting to which servers you want to connect. It will improve matchmaking, but you might still be matched outside of your region of no other players are available
16 Oct 2021, 23:49 PM

I have been playing around with picking the server in the region that will be the most busy at the moment. Not sure if it makes a difference. Anyone else try this? Results?

For example:
- During EU times I pick EU.
- During EU/NA, I pick US East since early US players and late EU players will be on.
- During pacific rim times I pick US West. Most players will be Chinese and US West.

The idea was to see if I get less lag in game.
19 Oct 2021, 10:56 AM

I think I have seen a post from Relic somewhere saying that it basically doesn't matter what you pick there - matchmaking is global and it will select the best option automatically based on all players in the match.

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Oct 2021, 23:49 PMRosbone
The idea was to see if I get less lag in game.

I have EU selected all the time and sometimes there are games with Chinese and the lag is insane, I feel like 1s before retreat... so I don't think it matters.
19 Oct 2021, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2021, 10:56 AMpagep
I think I have seen a post from Relic somewhere saying that it basically doesn't matter what you pick there - matchmaking is global and it will select the best option automatically based on all players in the match.

I have EU selected all the time and sometimes there are games with Chinese and the lag is insane, I feel like 1s before retreat... so I don't think it matters.

If we mean the same post, I think the point was that while matchmaking is global, the ping is factored in when choosing team mates. It's basically just another parameter but not a hard exclusion.

Getting Asian players from time to time is probably normal regardless of servers. At European prime time it is middle of the night to very early morning for them. They just won't find any other Asian players of somewhat similar skill, so matchmaking will decide against latency in favor of making a match.
Or maybe he selected European servers as well, who knows.
19 Oct 2021, 12:03 PM

What is the European prime time? GMT? I feel like if I queue at 18.00h (gmt+2) the MM is all over the place with ranks from 1 to 9999. If I queue at 20.00h the MM is even worse. If I queue at 16.00h even more worse. Only during the weekend can you queue at any time and get a decent match (# of players during the weekends is usually 9k+)
19 Oct 2021, 15:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

What is the European prime time? GMT? I feel like if I queue at 18.00h (gmt+2) the MM is all over the place with ranks from 1 to 9999. If I queue at 20.00h the MM is even worse. If I queue at 16.00h even more worse. Only during the weekend can you queue at any time and get a decent match (# of players during the weekends is usually 9k+)

I assume this probably due to searching as a random? The MM will not find enough players of similar rank in time and then just pick someone far above or below instead, which regularly screws up the matchup.

While I've had some shitty matchups as well, I usually play 2v2 and 3v3 in a team, and I have to say that most matches are overall decent.
19 Oct 2021, 15:47 PM

Do you "restart" matchmaking search? This is my assumption - I don't have any hard evidence. But I would assume that it works in a way that the longer your search the "wider" the range can be to find you a suitable opponent. I usually restart the search every ~ 2 minutes. I don't mind searching for a long time - I would rather wait longer than have bad opponent.

In 1-1 I rarely had a really completely out of bounds opponent. And the same goes for 4v4 with team games usually they were around the same level.

The prime time - with most players is GMT 18-22 hours (which is basically the time I play). https://steamcharts.com/app/231430#48h
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★