Login

russian armor

What was old CoH2 infantry combat like?

15 Oct 2021, 05:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2021, 23:04 PMSpanky

Interesting, I don't recall any of this and I have been around since the beginning of CoH2. What I do remember was the infantry weapons did not have profiles so distance didn't mean much. It was a messy and a disappointing launch.

Well it was in the closed\open beta for sure. I'il be honest I cant remember for sure it was like this on release aswell, but considering ToW missions were pretty much indentical to the MP build and airfield mission was a part of Victory at Stalingrad ToW which was released in a few month after the release. But Relic already might have created separate MP profiles at this point.

But considering on release SP and MP stats were identical I still think this sustem made itself past release, maybe for a shot time tho, since I dougbt relic would have used different unit profiles for ToW.

Anyway, you can clearly see it on this video:
Look how much damage T34\76 deals to stug E
https://youtu.be/jAGINa2c-Cw?t=409

And here how much more damage vetted T34 deals. I mean stug is not full HP, but its pretty clear that damage is much highter compared to the one in the first clip
https://youtu.be/jAGINa2c-Cw?t=569

And to be sure that it wasnt some sort of an rear armor damage modifier or something
https://youtu.be/jAGINa2c-Cw?t=1534

And Its pretty much like this for all ToW and Campaign missions.
27 Oct 2021, 07:04 AM

Oh man, I miss the good ol' days of CoH.

OKW Volks used to have a double shrek upgrade (think pgren upgrade) so you would see 3x volk blobs with shreks everywhere. Wipe them and you pretty much win the game.

The USF Rifle Company E8 was a beast and slayed everything, the cannon had great accuracy and splash on the move. You could run circles around your enemies. Not to mention that originally, the infantry came at Vet 1 and a slightly increased cost. The Rifle Company infantry commander was insanely good when it was released. Probably to get people to buy it.

OKW had a tactical nuke (Scavenge Doctrine) by saving munitions that Ost players could help with caches. Back then you could do call-ins on the enemy player's base so you would see an OKW tactical nuke 17 min on a USF player's base (because their base buildings are bunched up).

Soviet Penals could equip flamethrowers. Its just as deadly as it sounds. Speaking of flamethrowers, they used to randomly explode when being shot at in the most annoying fashion.

USF Riflemen used to have the smoke grenade ability on RE's. They were mobile smoking units. It was really easy to smoke an MG and then follow it up with a nade (although expensive). Speaking of Riflemen, you used to be able to carry 2x M1919's. They were extremely deadly at long range. Think Fallscrimjaegers but at seriously long range and 5 man squads.

Speaking of Fallscrimjaegers, they used to have a tank snare so they were all-around very good infantry. It wasn't too long ago that, that was removed.

UKF infantry used to be completely useless in non-cover. That was pretty annoying. They were only 'normal' while in cover but slightly better than normal. This was fixed recently-ish too.

UKF MG used to have bonus range (think take-aim) in buildings at vet1. Which was supposed to encourage the use of trenches and buildings but shooting at trenches destroys them which is kind of dumb.

You probably won't believe this but the Maxim used to be good in relation to its cost. Now its just bad in relation to its cost.

27 Oct 2021, 10:48 AM

Oh man, I miss the good ol' days of CoH.

OKW Volks used to have a double shrek upgrade (think pgren upgrade) so you would see 3x volk blobs with shreks everywhere. Wipe them and you pretty much win the game.

I play CoH2 nearly every day since October 2013 and I don't remember this at all (WFA factions launched in June 2014)

I recall that as a single schreck upgrade, the exact same that got moved to the Sturmpios later.

Or was it double schreck in some test beta before launch?
27 Oct 2021, 11:11 AM

I play CoH2 nearly every day since October 2013 and I don't remember this at all (WFA factions launched in June 2014)

I recall that as a single schreck upgrade, the exact same that got moved to the Sturmpios later.

No double shreck in beta before launch.

28 Oct 2021, 18:08 PM

I remember Cons being a complete coinflip in every engagement because they had 6 decent damage bolt action rifles but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Penals also being ultra useless for a very long time.

Partisans getting buffed and being the best cqb infantry in the game

RNG flipping vet 2 rifles at WFA launch that all could equip flamers for 1 weapon slot and a bar for the other, then after that double lmg1919 vet 3 rifles were insane. Rear Echelons were also meta for a bit because Riflemen could not pen kubels.

Volks going from the worst infantry in the game at launch to turning into absolutely torment to play against for a while.
28 Oct 2021, 18:23 PM

Oh maybe it was single shrek then. All I remember were the shrek blobs. OKW shrek blob is a lot more expensive now on stormpios rather than volks.
29 Oct 2021, 10:26 AM

Oh maybe it was single shrek then. All I remember were the shrek blobs. OKW shrek blob is a lot more expensive now on stormpios rather than volks.

volks had 1 shrek and that one specific upgrade was also the reason why they removed cold tech from autoplay, as they were immune to the frost lol
29 Oct 2021, 10:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Oct 2021, 10:26 AMKatukov

volks had 1 shrek and that one specific upgrade was also the reason why they removed cold tech from autoplay, as they were immune to the frost lol

A nice theory but simply false, Volk's shreck and cold tech changes did have any connection at all.

There where many issues with cold including the obvious that it many PCs could not handle it.
29 Oct 2021, 20:21 PM

You guys remember when they buffed DP28 to Gren lmg levels. Shit was insane, made shocks pointless and they never really recovered.
30 Oct 2021, 01:58 AM

Shocks are still good. The fact that smoke nades and damage nades are on the same cooldown is really holding them back right now because a lot of other units are able to do that just fine with the one exception being shocks. We could see it in the last hotfix but it doesn't look like its a priority atm.
30 Oct 2021, 04:37 AM

back then, the aec was just a better t70, good times
30 Oct 2021, 06:43 AM

Shocks are still good. The fact that smoke nades and damage nades are on the same cooldown is really holding them back right now because a lot of other units are able to do that just fine with the one exception being shocks. We could see it in the last hotfix but it doesn't look like its a priority atm.

And which units are those that have3 smoke grenades and HE on the separate CDs?
30 Oct 2021, 12:37 PM

They are good, Airborne LMG is better and reg guards are great. They have amazing utility, good enough AI and can work as crutch AT if caught off guard. Every top cast or stream involves regular guards or SVT conscripts.

For shocks I think the issue is they really can’t branch out like other elite squads. If they were given fire superiority instead of posh airborne It would give them more utility. Airborne could then get tactical assault to differentiate them.

Edit: Don't want to derail but Assault Guards should have smoke instead of Airborne SMG, airborne has camo so it can use that while Assault guards get focused down before they can get Vet.
30 Oct 2021, 17:54 PM

The fact that smoke nades and damage nades are on the same cooldown is really holding them back right now because a lot of other units are able to do that just fine with the one exception being shocks.

No. All units that have smoke and frag grenades have shared cooldowns now, so that they can't just throw smoke and frontally grenade HMGs in one go.

The only exceptions are Falls and Obers, but they have WP smoke grenades that they can't run through.
30 Oct 2021, 18:05 PM

No. All units that have smoke and frag grenades have shared cooldowns now, so that they can't just throw smoke and frontally grenade HMGs in one go.

The only exceptions are Falls and Obers, but they have WP smoke grenades that they can't run through.

Assault Tommies have WP too. Smoke is smoke, if a unit can self-smoke then follow up with a nade on an MG emplacement makes it very strong. They can move through it but will take some damage and be slowed.

Stormtroopers have smoke and fire nade not sharing cooldown too.
Pip
30 Oct 2021, 19:31 PM

Assault Tommies have WP too. Smoke is smoke, if a unit can self-smoke then follow up with a nade on an MG emplacement makes it very strong. They can move through it but will take some damage and be slowed.

Stormtroopers have smoke and fire nade not sharing cooldown too.

Attempting to advance through your own WP is pretty much a death sentence.

The fire grenade isnt the equivalent of an HE grenade, either.
1 Nov 2021, 06:46 AM

I remember initially the Shock Troops were called up with Mosin rifles and the PPSh-41 had to be bought for 60 ammunition, without any other alternative upgrades. This is actually not a bad idea. If the Shock Troops had some kind of alternative upgrade.
1 Nov 2021, 13:41 PM

I remember initially the Shock Troops were called up with Mosin rifles and the PPSh-41 had to be bought for 60 ammunition, without any other alternative upgrades. This is actually not a bad idea. If the Shock Troops had some kind of alternative upgrade.

The issue is they come with armor, anything other than SMG would make them OP.

I feel they just need some utility, like the ability to decap faster to get back in the fight faster or to force enemy to come to them. Or maybe a muni ability where they do increased damage to units in buildings. Something to make them more enticing.
1 Nov 2021, 16:30 PM

The issue is they come with armor, anything other than SMG would make them OP.

I feel they just need some utility, like the ability to decap faster to get back in the fight faster or to force enemy to come to them. Or maybe a muni ability where they do increased damage to units in buildings. Something to make them more enticing.

Imagine if shocks came with guard mosins but no armor and had to upgrade for the SMGs and armor lmao.
1 Nov 2021, 17:06 PM

Imagine if shocks came with guard mosins but no armor and had to upgrade for the SMGs and armor lmao.

the imagination is horrible
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS