Login

russian armor

Viability of Assault Grenadiers opening into 222

28 Aug 2021, 20:19 PM

Title
I was toying around with Strategic Reserves and Mechanized Assault and I've had success with the strategy of opening without Tier 1 but with mg42 and 3 Assault Grenadiers effective against Soviets

It relies on delaying the Soviet T-70 as much as possible with early game aggression, using eventually either a Pak or a Panzergren with double schreck with the 222 it at bay until Panzer IV or even OKW Panzer IV

But I fluctuate between 300 and 600 rank with all factions and played just a few games with it recently, I'm trying to rank higher after a long hiatus, so I wanted to ask if it's just a meme build order that would be countered heavily by better players or if it can work.

Playercard is in the signature. I'll see if I can provide replays if needed
28 Aug 2021, 20:59 PM

Hello,

Personally I dont think any build is a meme build. for this build in particular, every allied factions has the tools to counter it:
-Soviets : they can use M3 scout car (T1 build) or use Conscripts Oraah to escape your Assault Grens (conscript build, specially since with a 4 conscripts they will be able to fight you and decap your side of the map same time)
-USF : If they keep their squads close to each other, they will have enough close range DPS to defeat the Assault grens, they can also rush the m20 car which is not very easy for the 222 to kill (danger of mines + m20 gun is quite good at penetrating the 222), they also get the AA HT very quickly if they hold a minimum of territory.
-UKF: They can open up with UC which kind of shuts down the Assault grens play if used right.

what you will face at higher ranks is people who know these counters, thus you need to practice how to minimize their impact (limit Ass grens to certain maps, choose good fights, set up traps instead of charging the ennemy, build 1 normal gren just for safety ...)
28 Aug 2021, 22:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Aug 2021, 20:59 PMSyraw
Hello,

Personally I dont think any build is a meme build. for this build in particular, every allied factions has the tools to counter it:
-Soviets : they can use M3 scout car (T1 build) or use Conscripts Oraah to escape your Assault Grens (conscript build, specially since with a 4 conscripts they will be able to fight you and decap your side of the map same time)
-USF : If they keep their squads close to each other, they will have enough close range DPS to defeat the Assault grens, they can also rush the m20 car which is not very easy for the 222 to kill (danger of mines + m20 gun is quite good at penetrating the 222), they also get the AA HT very quickly if they hold a minimum of territory.
-UKF: They can open up with UC which kind of shuts down the Assault grens play if used right.

what you will face at higher ranks is people who know these counters, thus you need to practice how to minimize their impact (limit Ass grens to certain maps, choose good fights, set up traps instead of charging the ennemy, build 1 normal gren just for safety ...)

Thanks for your post and suggestions.
I'll keep what you wrote in mind, especially about maps
30 Aug 2021, 19:01 PM

Thanks for your post and suggestions.
I'll keep what you wrote in mind, especially about maps

The new beta will actually buff the build a bit. Sprint will be available without BP1 but will cost 20 muni. That will help a lot with closing the distance in early engagements. With mechanized if you do well fuel wise you can get Stug E after BP2. Against soviet T1 it can be extremely punishing as long as you support it against PTRS Penal and Guards. USF LT doesn't have a great counter so it will bleed them fairly well.
30 Aug 2021, 19:43 PM

The new beta will actually buff the build a bit. Sprint will be available without BP1 but will cost 20 muni. That will help a lot with closing the distance in early engagements. With mechanized if you do well fuel wise you can get Stug E after BP2. Against soviet T1 it can be extremely punishing as long as you support it against PTRS Penal and Guards. USF LT doesn't have a great counter so it will bleed them fairly well.

Yeah, that got me interested in Ass Grens in the first place. I only used it a few times before.
Would you suggest going for Assault Grenadiers against USF if the player has Mechanized/WC51?
31 Aug 2021, 01:17 AM

Yeah, that got me interested in Ass Grens in the first place. I only used it a few times before.
Would you suggest going for Assault Grenadiers against USF if the player has Mechanized/WC51?

I am actually a Soviet/USF player, tried it out due to having issues countering the build.

If your opponent expects you to go ass gren clown car and WC will bleed you. However, WC51 needs muni to be able to do damage so if they rush it out first you have a chance to push them hard since they will be down on firepower. Try not to overextend so they don't go for a wipe on retreat.

With mechanized if you can keep extreme pressure you can actually get the PGren in clown car without having to go to BP1. Against Penal builds it is extremely good due to their high initial and reinforce cost along with lack of snare. When sprint gets added back it might actually make it OP vs Penal builds.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★