Login

russian armor

Is it time for some new 4v4 maps?

17 Aug 2021, 21:05 PM

Building on the stats provided by PAGEP (the legend) it appears Coh2 could use another map patch. 3v3 map pool needs work and the 4v4 pool seems to be getting more and more divided.

I dont think Relic has any plans for a map patch. But Coh2 could really use another one.

The bottom few maps should either be replaced or heavily reworked. Some have already been reworked. Since a 2nd patch is really pushing it, I would suggest removing the maps in case the rework does not improve the overall play numbers.

If Relic would commit we could maybe have a map contest type scenario. I know there are a ton of new mappers out there that could make some great 4v4 maps with some guidelines.
17 Aug 2021, 21:12 PM

As a 4v4 game spamming noob I veto:
- City17
- Essen Steelworks
- LaGleize
- Lorch Assault
- West Wall (Vielsalm)

Some people veto based on the faction they are playing. I just veto maps I dont enjoy playing on.
7 Nov 2021, 04:22 AM

I would love to see one last map patch, there have been lots of good automatch worthy maps made since the last one. If possible just add more maps and more vetos so people can play what they want.
7 Nov 2021, 05:44 AM

Yeah ideally one more map patch during 2022 before CoH 3 would be nice. Think the last one we got was in 2020, feels like ages ago at this point.
7 Nov 2021, 07:37 AM

Building on my previous post:

The ratios of Most Played to Least Played for approx 1 month of plays on maps are:
1v1 2.09:1
2v2 4.08:1
3v3 5.59:1
4v4 12.4:1

This basically says 4v4 needs some new maps. 1v1 and 2v2 look decent. 3v3 is bad in general since the maps are mostly large 4v4 maps. And 4v4 is a mess as described in my original post.

I like Orphans idea of just adding more maps in general. If this will be the last map patch ever why not add several new maps so the pool is larger.

A couple of 3v3 specific maps with a couple 3v3-4v4 sized maps would be great. White Ball for instance is very long but plays 3v3 pretty well since it is slightly narrow. A couple maps around that size but shorter would probably work out really well for both 3v3 and 4v4.

The last map I worked on was this hybrid 3-4 size in general.
EASTERN ASSAULT

I would prefer to personally not make any more maps (I already have maps in game, time for fresh eyes and ideas) but would help anyone with the concepts of 4v4 maps etc.

But the ball is Relics court and they are quite busy. Probably dont want to polish up the old game right before the new game is released also. But looking at the poor ratios and the number of games that end in under 5 minutes tells a story about the state of 4v4 maps.
8 Nov 2021, 10:01 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Personally, i really want to see more winter maps in 4v4, and at least one maps for 4v4 with impactful area with ice, like Oka River in 3v3.
8 Nov 2021, 22:25 PM

Personally, i really want to see more winter maps in 4v4, and at least one maps for 4v4 with impactful area with ice, like Oka River in 3v3.

the community voted to remove Ice and blizzards
8 Nov 2021, 22:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Nov 2021, 04:22 AMOrphan
I would love to see one last map patch, there have been lots of good automatch worthy maps made since the last one. If possible just add more maps and more vetos so people can play what they want.

Yeah ideally one more map patch during 2022 before CoH 3 would be nice. Think the last one we got was in 2020, feels like ages ago at this point.

Unfortunately a big problem with this is that it seems like the "UI bug", also known as the "Vilshanka bug" where you lose the UI on units, is spreading onto more and more maps with every map patch, for no apparent reason at all. This is why it is kind of deemed too risky to make another map patch at this point.
9 Nov 2021, 03:04 AM

...it is kind of deemed too risky to make another map patch at this point.

I think the 8000 people who /Q out of City17 matches every month would argue its worth the risk.
9 Nov 2021, 09:21 AM

9 Nov 2021, 12:07 PM

I would love too see one or two new maps for 4vs4, because playing a 4vs4 with friends can be great fun.

1) I wouldn't place fuel on the centre line, because many games are predetermined if one side gets the better start and manages to capture both fuel points or capture one at least while the other one is embattled.

2) Since fuel and munition income gets inflated a lot at 4vs4 it could be interesting to play a map without fuel/munition points alltogether. Maybe this could prolong early and midgame by a little bit. On a plus side every strategic point would be of the same importance to fight for. Maybe players wouldn't rush for the same two points in the beginning in each and every game.

3) It has to be a wide map to leave some room for movement. No narrow lanes please.
11 Nov 2021, 21:16 PM

... it is kind of deemed too risky to make another map patch at this point.

Let me rephrase my response another way:

Lienne Forest has the Vilshanka bug and it gets played 12 times for every Vielsalm (West Wall) match.

Players would rather get a bugged UI 12 times in a row than play a single game on Vielsalm.

I think that boldly outlines what the community wants.

12 Nov 2021, 08:59 AM

Great topic! I would also love to see more 4v4 maps. What can we do to get this done?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★