Login

russian armor

Advice for a noob needed: Blob control in team games

4 Jun 2021, 10:02 AM

Thanks, community! That was good feedback and I'll try it!
4 Jun 2021, 10:33 AM

In team games as soviets, if the opponent is relying heavily on blobbed pfussies or falls, I generally find that they lose steam if you can maintain a constant trade. So long as you don't full retreat in the general slugging, conscripts will inevitably prove much cheaper to replace and maintain compared to their competition. This is compounded once you reach tier 4, where the squad leader upgrade will provide an exceptionally sharp increase in their performance and durability.

Having multiple MG never quite work out unless you're using a Dshk, but having one maxim to resolve an immediate flank while having the bulk of conscripts behind cover will generally prove effective. A mortar is also ideal (as the soviet variant comes with flares which are invaluable in team games), but you need to keep in mind not to overbloat your army composition and end up delaying your teching.

Ultimately, to shut down or break the mass blobbing will be on armour. T-70 is a good choice for plinking away at falls and other expensive infantry, while a more decisive choice would be applying shotgun katyusha (as in firing katyusha at minimal range to ensure minimal spread with high chance of wiping or severely damaging blobs).

Shotgun katyusha is a bit iffy, as you can easily lose them if not well protected, though I've had a few good mind games where I mine up the approaches to the katyusha, which punish anyone who might dive for it.
4 Jun 2021, 13:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

As Soviets, Katyusha is your best option.
Otherwise a T34 or surviving T70 might do as well, depending on the severeness of the blobbing.

Bear in mind the Katy use requires some experience to time and aim correctly. Practice a lot. You often make it a lot easier for yourself if you manage to bait your opponent into wiping a squad or yours or fake retreating to keep them on the predicted path.
The Katy is also more the higher risk, higher reward option. If you hit, you hit hard and stop the assault right in the tracks. But if you fail the enemy is free to keep blobbing until the CD expires, which is different from how tanks would function.
4 Jun 2021, 15:34 PM

So, if I get you guys correctly, it is safe to say, that Panzer Fusilier/Fallschirmjaeger blobbing is not a "noob" tactic and the counter is not absolutely trivial and needs to be decently trained, right?
4 Jun 2021, 15:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2021, 15:34 PMredfox
So, if I get you guys correctly, it is safe to say, that Panzer Fusilier/Fallschirmjaeger blobbing is not a "noob" tactic and the counter is not absolutely trivial and needs to be decently trained, right?

Higher rank players can probably comment better on up to which rank these tactics are still used. Both units are easier to use in larger modes though since the builds need time to reach their full power potential. In small modes this early weakness can be heavily exploited, in team games it gets covered by map design and your team mates.

Timing rocket arty is a crucial step to getting better at the game overall. But all of the anti blob solutions need a decent amount of micro and game awareness, be it tanks, rocket artillery or simply evading the blob to conquer more of the map.

If your rank is low enough, you can also try to plant mines on the most obvious paths since many blobbers forget to buy sweepers. This way you can suppress the whole blob plus kill a couple of models with a single mine.
5 Jun 2021, 16:58 PM

They can group and awalk through your loines. Like evereything Allied you'll need to use combined arms.

Set a defensive line (mortar maxim mines) and have troops nearby to hold/coutner. When they commit into you, make sure shocks are ready and in position. if theyve done it before same place try a demo.

Then wait till your next vehicle tier (t70,t34, kv8, heavy), or get a katy
5 Jun 2021, 21:22 PM

Something people forget when dealing with falls/pzfusilier blobs. And this is very important in general too. Looking at you USF hamster wheels.

DO NOT FIGHT THE BLOB WITH INFANTRY. They will outnumber you, Lanchester's Square Law will apply and you will be flattened.

By depriving them of bleeding you and gaining vet, you will make your life much easier. Attack everywhere except where the blob is. They will be forced to split it apart to cap or be chasing their tails round the map.

In any case falls are outscaled hard by Obers, the people you will have serious problems with late game. And they don't need to blob.
6 Jun 2021, 09:04 AM

Something people forget when dealing with falls/pzfusilier blobs. And this is very important in general too. Looking at you USF hamster wheels.

DO NOT FIGHT THE BLOB WITH INFANTRY. They will outnumber you, Lanchester's Square Law will apply and you will be flattened.

By depriving them of bleeding you and gaining vet, you will make your life much easier. Attack everywhere except where the blob is. They will be forced to split it apart to cap or be chasing their tails round the map.

In any case falls are outscaled hard by Obers, the people you will have serious problems with late game. And they don't need to blob.

This is true for 1v1 only I think. Also, in 1v1 I am not having problems with blobbing for the exact reason you mentioned - I just go where the blob is not and gain territory. However, teamgames are more often than not very lane-y and that just leaves me with the blob head on. So yeah, Katy rush and a T70 seems to be it.

However, I do think it's not a very good concept that you can just blob in teamgames (very little micro, easy to execute) and your opponent (as ally) has to apply combined arms with a lot of micro.
6 Jun 2021, 11:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jun 2021, 09:04 AMredfox

This is true for 1v1 only I think. Also, in 1v1 I am not having problems with blobbing for the exact reason you mentioned - I just go where the blob is not and gain territory. However, teamgames are more often than not very lane-y and that just leaves me with the blob head on. So yeah, Katy rush and a T70 seems to be it.

However, I do think it's not a very good concept that you can just blob in teamgames (very little micro, easy to execute) and your opponent (as ally) has to apply combined arms with a lot of micro.

Some 3v3+ map examples where this also works:

Essen - many side routes, angles due to the urban environment, especially on the left & rights areas where ppl are forced to split up for the fuel/VP/muni
Steppes - probably the most notorious map, being the biggest in the automatch maps if not game
La Gleize explains itself, esp with long retreat times and scattered points
City 17 I veto but it's got so many alternate paths that you can cap muni next to the enemy base without running into issues

Blobbing I dislike but it is what it is. It works for Axis players dealing with Allies too, if we don't want to blob. Sometimes I've felt like I'm being penalised for using combined arms to stop USF/UKF blobs. You have no infantry that can go toe-to-toe with an LMG blob until Obers arrive and maybe Pzgrens.

Katy is your go to yes, I'm just giving advice to increase pressure on them/decrease pressure on you before you get to T4. If your army's been battered and an Auf J's rolling at you, it won't matter how good your Katy skills are.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3
Korea, Republic Of 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment