Login

russian armor

Are osttruppen still viable in 2021?

4 Jun 2021, 10:54 AM

Giving them utility does not mean that they will be pushed into an ultra niche role. There's plenty of options to give utility instead of pure combat power via their weapons.

Again, like what?
Grens have medkits, pios have incread sight, both can build bunkers, they obviously can't be given sandbags, explosives make no sense on them, neither do sweepers, 7th man adds pure combat power, they already have fausts, there is stock AT squad, it doesn't make much sense for them to repair and already PGs get that ability through another doctrine, flares are completely unsuitable for them and their theme.

These guys were guarding railways from partisans IRL.
4 Jun 2021, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Again, like what?
Grens have medkits, pios have incread sight, both can build bunkers, they obviously can't be given sandbags, explosives make no sense on them, neither do sweepers, 7th man adds pure combat power, they already have fausts, there is stock AT squad, it doesn't make much sense for them to repair and already PGs get that ability through another doctrine, flares are completely unsuitable for them and their theme.

These guys were guarding railways from partisans IRL.

Trip wire flares, flare traps on points, stun traps, some type of grenade, hit the dirt would actually be an ability that could be useful on a long range squad instead of short range PPSh Cons, medkits are great, some vehicle or infantry awareness ability. Even adding a 7th man is different from adding pure DPS, or just decrease their reinforcement cost by another MP with T4. Not all of these are good but at least try worthy instead of pure DPS and reinforce their original role.

Soldiers from conquered countries in eastern Europe were in active front line combat and not only used for guarding of logistics and upgrisings.
4 Jun 2021, 11:20 AM

Trip wire flares, flare traps on points, stun traps, some type of grenade, hit the dirt would actually be an ability that could be useful on a long range squad instead of short range PPSh Cons, medkits are great, some vehicle or infantry awareness ability. Even adding a 7th man is different from adding pure DPS, or just decrease their reinforcement cost by another MP with T4. Not all of these are good but at least try worthy instead of pure DPS and reinforce their original role.

Soldiers from conquered countries in eastern Europe were in active front line combat and not only used for guarding of logistics and upgrisings.

To add to the options one could give me them AT rifles.

If one wanted to go for combat stat then one should go durability instead of damage output or one could make them good at certain condition like when in garrison.

From a design point of view turning them into grenadier ver2 it is not a very good solution.
4 Jun 2021, 21:11 PM

Do note the patch note changes which are available for reading, they are less potent early on in exchange for a stronger LMG and that LMG arriving earlier. Prior to those changes, Osttruppen traded/won at mid and long-ranges against even Rifles and Tommies when in cover wars early game despite being cheaper and costing much less to reinforce than these units.

I get they are trying to make them a more stable power curve instead of being really good early game and falling off hard late game but I feel like with these changes they become overall better than Grens. They are weaker early game but are still cheap and don't bleed much and once they get the LMG they are more cost effective than Grens and can build sandbags everywhere immediately. They don't need to be any stronger than they are on the current live patch. They are borderline meta right now and anything that potential makes them stronger in anyway could dictate the meta in the next patch. I like them having the weakness they have now as opposed to being standardized like Grens. To me they should be a unit you mix with Grens, not use as your primary mainline unit. Similar to how you mix Fusiliers and Volks together.
5 Jun 2021, 06:30 AM

I get they are trying to make them a more stable power curve instead of being really good early game and falling off hard late game but I feel like with these changes they become overall better than Grens. They are weaker early game but are still cheap and don't bleed much and once they get the LMG they are more cost effective than Grens and can build sandbags everywhere immediately. They don't need to be any stronger than they are on the current live patch. They are borderline meta right now and anything that potential makes them stronger in anyway could dictate the meta in the next patch. I like them having the weakness they have now as opposed to being standardized like Grens. To me they should be a unit you mix with Grens, not use as your primary mainline unit. Similar to how you mix Fusiliers and Volks together.

If they are not more cost efficient than grenadier why would one build them over grenadier (since there are grenadier ver2) especially since they require T1?

The problem is their design and as long their similar to grenadiers this problem will always exist.
5 Jun 2021, 08:27 AM

I still dont know why Osttruppen - the cheap, poor equipped and barely trained squad (ingame and historical) - gets a lmg. Or am i wrong here?

Is there no solid idea around giving them more utility instead of this?

Purely balance reasons- they needed some sort of late game scaling. LMG was probably easiest since Grens get one and a "LMG but not as good as Gren's LMG" was the easiest way to to give them late game scaling with a low chance of breaking the game. It's kind of hard to give them some kind of additional utility that isn't broken beyond their initial perks of high model count, snare platform, and low cost/upkeep.
5 Jun 2021, 08:36 AM

Purely balance reasons- they needed some sort of late game scaling. LMG was probably easiest since Grens get one and a "LMG but not as good as Gren's LMG" was the easiest way to to give them late game scaling with a low chance of breaking the game.

The LMG become available first to Ostruppen reserves because they arrived much later.

There is nothing "easy" about the LMG design, it is actually pretty bad design since it make the greatly overlap with grenadiers (especially after the require t1) and now will will will either be UP or OP.

It's kind of hard to give them some kind of additional utility that isn't broken beyond their initial perks of high model count, snare platform, and low cost/upkeep.

Actually it is not, it far easier than trying to fight the correct power level especially since any change in grenadier will immediately effect OT and make either UP or OP.

Doctrinal units should to bring something different to table not more of the same.
5 Jun 2021, 13:00 PM

agree with vipper

OSSTR is more or less grens version 2.0
OSSTR and Grens come from same building, same-ish abilites and use.

change grens,OSSTR or production facility/call-in to differentiate
5 Jun 2021, 13:53 PM

agree with vipper

OSSTR is more or less grens version 2.0
OSSTR and Grens come from same building, same-ish abilites and use.

change grens,OSSTR or production facility/call-in to differentiate

Uhh.. Make them arrive from the HQ building instead of the Infantry Kompanie? *shrug*

eh

When you take your morning and night time meds at the same time
and you stayed up all night
This means you're supposed to meme with Osttruppen
5 Jun 2021, 17:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jun 2021, 13:53 PMLewka

Uhh.. Make them arrive from the HQ building instead of the Infantry Kompanie? *shrug*

eh

When you take your morning and night time meds at the same time
and you stayed up all night
This means you're supposed to meme with Osttruppen

It would allow a tech skip, which was one of main reasons why they were OP, allowing for ultra fast LV.
They will not be swapped from T1 again.
5 Jun 2021, 21:00 PM

It would allow a tech skip, which was one of main reasons why they were OP, allowing for ultra fast LV.
They will not be swapped from T1 again.

Oh yeah, that makes sense honestly I am indifferent and I think the way Osttruppen are sent onto the field is fine as is and needs no changes. I'm just playing along as they say ~

I could only assume they were moved to the infantarie kompanie for a reason, yes?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 45
unknown 26
Mexico 16
Germany 893

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %