Login

russian armor

Will Coldtech be in automatch again?

24 Apr 2021, 12:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2021, 11:14 AMGrumpy

I agree with Pip's assessment. It created terrible gameplay.

It was also so anti-historical and anti-realistic that it made me wonder if the developers were Neo's. IIRC, the only units that were upgradeable were OKW. The Soviets should have had cold immunity by default. The "terrible" Russian winter was the winter that the Russians had been surviving since the beginning of time.

Also:
Armored vehicles were unaffected by blizzard. They should've been affected more as both visibility and traction get much worse. Deep snow would be impassable to any type of AFV. Instead, the game had Ostwind's chasing and wiping Penals in deep snow during a blizzard. I know the game doesn't try to be historically accurate (and I don't care that it isn't) but at that point, they may as well have shown the Penals being wiped by unicorns.

yes yes all these can be considered for coh3 weather effects. keep the suggestions coming

imagine if coldtech had as much tweaks as the rest of coh2 over the last 3-4 years. we could have seen something really unheralded
24 Apr 2021, 13:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2021, 12:00 PMmrgame2

yes yes all these can be considered for coh3 weather effects. keep the suggestions coming

imagine if coldtech had as much tweaks as the rest of coh2 over the last 3-4 years. we could have seen something really unheralded

But it would've taken a lot of tweaks. Vehicles would move slower off-road. They couldn't go into deep snow. Blizzards would slow infantry and stop vehicles. Wind would make random snow drifts that would have to be cleared.
24 Apr 2021, 16:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2021, 16:30 PMJPA32

Lets take this hypothetical situation here where you've built a half track (Oops Brits, USF, OKW can't do that non-doc) and are attempting to push a point. First if your opponent has an AT gun or snares. Your HT either need to leave and your push has failed immediately due to being zoned or just dying (Along with half your infantry too probably).

Granted, only SOV and OST have troop carriers nondoctrinally. Of course, that's fine because blizzards aren't a part of gameplay normally so it's not necessary. Blizzard gameplay wasn't part of how WFA factions were designed so yeah fair enough.
That push didn't actually fail. You can still exit the troops out of the vehicle, you know. Cold doesn't instantly kill units. Like I've said, all you need to do is get into cover to halt loss of heat.

But lets say it doesn't happen. So you've spent 30 Fuel on a halftrack to ferry units into battle against an enemy who has hunkered down and is in prime defensive mode. So you still lose probably in the infantry fight, but your opponent has also built an LV and is currently kicking the teeth in of your infantry who have no support because you drove out of range of your support weapons because it's a blizzard and you're attacking.

Again, you make a fair point. Considering that the game, as it is now, is not balanced around blizzard play, it makes more sense to rush an armored vehicle as always. Ideally if there was some sort of effort to make blizzards an automatch thing again (which there isn't so this is just hypothetical.) there would be some sort of attempt made to make infantry carriers available to all the factions. Maybe not the regular ones that have reinforce capabilities but just a transport truck that's cheaper on fuel and manpower somehow.

Okay, okay. Lets say they didn't build an LV, and they had a light defense and you pushed them off. Great! So you've built a HT that doesn't do anything outside of blizzards and now your opponent has a 1:20 advantage on his first medium tank that he's going to use to kick your teeth in later... Well shit.

Well yes. As the game is now that is certainly the case, I don't disagree. Of course, though, the idea of a Halftrack/infantry carrier is that it's faster than walking. Outside of blizzards you could micro it in such a way as to bring reinforced squads back onto the frontline faster.

Cold tech doesn't work. You can't be aggressive. You have to hunker down and wait or you just lose and that absolutely sucks to play. For all the visual thematics of it. If the mechanic feels like garbage to actually experience it's not a good mechanic. Slowdown feels awful and makes defensive play stronger, blizzards lowering vision makes accidently wandering into a defensive position easier, the random application of it nullifies aggression and punishes players who are winning. Everything about it is bad apart from that fact it looks cool and that's not a good enough reason to have it.

I do agree that the random aspect of it is unfair, it would be better if there was some way to know a blizzard is on the way besides the 30second timer (at least I think it's 30 seconds). Like maybe it's a constant cycle, a few minutes clear then a minute or two blizzard or something like that.

Again I have to disagree with you. I always thought blizzards had the ability for interesting emergent gameplay. Firepits aren't very durable, for example. I had a cute idea of assaulting a point with a t34 in a blizzard and I just targeted the firepit and cover and scattered the enemy troops. Also, the static posisions make purchasing a sniper more interesting. You can use the sniper who doesn't lose heat to scout for targets for artillery pieces. (At least I'm pretty sure the sniper doesn't lose heat. I know it was a thing in story mode but I'm not at my computer to check)
And of course mechanized assaults (perhaps a minesweeper engineer + con squad in a leading Halftrack followed by t34 etc.) I really do think that people give blizzards a bad rap, worse than it really deserves.
24 Apr 2021, 16:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2021, 17:02 PMPip

I wouldn't call them alternate plays, I'd call them acts of desperation. The fact of the matter is that coldtech makes defensive play much too strong.

Who dares wins. I bet you wouldn't call the normandy landings an alternate play either. /s

What was that one quote? Something about timidity does more damage than audacity given the same amount of knowledge? Of course, if everyone agrees that blizzards are too hard to mount an offense during and decides to simple wait out the blizzard then you'd never know whether there was an effectove way to do so other than waiting it out.

Either way, it's not going to be re-implemented as long as nobody wants it. But I disagree that blizzards are as hopless as naysayers make it out to be. Yes, it probably requires fine tuning, but so did the rest of the game at the time blizzards were part of normal gameplay. And look how far the rest of the game has come.

I think it was unfortunate that blizzards were removed so early into the life cycle.
24 Apr 2021, 18:39 PM

I don't know why They not just adding an option for people who want to play with Coldtech it is that simple(more options more fun) it is a game after all.
24 Apr 2021, 18:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2021, 18:39 PMOlfin
I don't know why They not just adding an option for people who want to play with Coldtech it is that simple(more options more fun) it is a game after all.

They have.
Its right there, in custom games.
24 Apr 2021, 19:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2021, 18:53 PMKatitof

They have.
Its right there, in custom games.

I know, but this thread is about Automatch as the title says, and the majority play automatch because it is faster to find matchs with players in your lvl.
Pip
24 Apr 2021, 20:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2021, 19:20 PMOlfin

I know, but this thread is about Automatch as the title says, and the majority play automatch because it is faster to find matchs with players in your lvl.

Splitting the playerbase of a fairly small game is not really the best idea.
24 Apr 2021, 21:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2021, 20:41 PMPip

Splitting the playerbase of a fairly small game is not really the best idea.

Not splitting the playerbase if it's just a handful of maps that can be vetoed. Either way, it's not getting added anytime soon.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 82

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight