Login

russian armor

vCoH Sound Effects Sounded Cooler and More Realistic

13 Mar 2021, 22:54 PM
Donator 11

Did they tone down the realism because they wanted CoH 2 to be a bit more arcadey?
13 Mar 2021, 23:06 PM

Actually I think because of the UI. Since vCoH UI provided almost no easy accessible information, everything should have had a distinct voice lines and sound effects.

But also, I think its sound mod on the video, not original sounds.
13 Mar 2021, 23:16 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Actually I think because of the UI. Since vCoH UI provided almost no easy accessible information, everything should have had a distinct voice lines and sound effects.

But also, I think its sound mod on the video, not original sounds.

Yeah you're right about the sound. The explosion and the sound of the shell travelling aren't original.

Coh2 is much the same in terms of audio cues, no? You still hear the same things but you get the visual list of your unit cards in the top right (which helps so much imo).

As for sound in coh2 it was changed a few years ago because they had that loud gunshot bug. Sometimes it wasn't much but sometimes it was deafening. there's a montage out there of streamers reaction to it and some laugh cuz it's weak and others throw their headphones off their head because it was so loud and sudden.

But coh1 and coh2 are equally arcade-like lmao. If you want a realistic ww2 rts that isn't too overboard with micro go play Steel Division 2. Even in the first game they compressed distances to make artillery fit on smaller maps.
14 Mar 2021, 01:52 AM

I'd say CoH2 is actually slightly more authentic than CoH1 was. CoH1 had a lot of very gamey oddities like 2 man Pioneer squads, Volksgrenadiers (an old man leading teenagers into battle) being superior to Riflemen, Grenadiers being par to BAR Riflemen (You're tellin' me 4 bolt action rifles is equal to 3 BAR's and 3 M1 Garands??), or the Knights Cross Holders being a Wehraboo's wet dream.

I think CoH2's designs for Pioneers, Volksgrenadiers, Grenadiers, Riflemen, and even Obersoldaten are a lot more authentic. Still far from a milsim, but definitely more believable. The most unbelievable thing about Obersoldaten is that they still exist after Operation Bagration!
14 Mar 2021, 02:05 AM
Donator 11

I'd say CoH2 is actually slightly more authentic than CoH1 was. CoH1 had a lot of very gamey oddities like 2 man Pioneer squads, Volksgrenadiers (an old man leading teenagers into battle) being superior to Riflemen, Grenadiers being par to BAR Riflemen (You're tellin' me 4 bolt action rifles is equal to 3 BAR's and 3 M1 Garands??), or the Knights Cross Holders being a Wehraboo's wet dream.

I think CoH2's designs for Pioneers, Volksgrenadiers, Grenadiers, Riflemen, and even Obersoldaten are a lot more authentic. Still far from a milsim, but definitely more believable. The most unbelievable thing about Obersoldaten is that they still exist after Operation Bagration!

I don't think Obersoldaten have ever existed
14 Mar 2021, 03:01 AM

I don't think Obersoldaten have ever existed

In COH1 no, but I think of Obersoldaten as the Knights Cross Holders equivalent, since they are both late-game Super Germans.
14 Mar 2021, 04:07 AM
Senior Caster Badge

The sound effects, voice acting and music are all arguably better in Coh1 most likely because it had a higher budget and more development time than Coh2, especially at a time during THQ collapse of people leaving the studio. Higher budget generally = higher technical quality.
14 Mar 2021, 05:23 AM

the animations and physics were also better in some places in coh1.
coh1 also had more complicated stats options to tweak

remember when coh2 did not have bullet trails on launch?

that is why i am not optimistic about coh3...
14 Mar 2021, 05:55 AM

I just remembered another one, Stormtroopers had lower DPS than Volksgrenadiers but if you gave them double 2x StG upgrade (it was a hefty cost) they had the highest DPS of any unit in the game! Using them was extremely satisfying, but they were so difficult to attain I felt I needed to plan my strategy around them existing.

Also some squad leaders had a unique gun, for USF it was an M1 Carbine (paratrooper model) on Riflemen and for Wehrmacht (Volksgrenadiers, Grenadiers, and Stormtroopers iirc) it was an StG that actually had copy-pasted Kar 98 stats with a larger magazine. This meant you you bought the 2x StG upgrade, visually the Stromtroopers had 3 StG's, but one of them was just a Kar 98 in disguise. You had to spent another 75 munitions for 1 more StG and to authorize the third guy to switch to full-auto!
14 Mar 2021, 16:25 PM

Coh2 is much the same in terms of audio cues, no? You still hear the same things but you get the visual list of your unit cards in the top right (which helps so much imo).

Idk, for me prsonally its always felt like vCoH had much much more distinct sound clues. If I remember it correctly, units had voice lines saying what unit is attaking them and even if unit had lets say SMGs or not. CoH2 on the other hand has much more generic audio cues for most of the situations.
14 Mar 2021, 16:38 PM
Benefactor 115

that recording sounds dreadful, the audio is clipping and the bass has been boosted
14 Mar 2021, 18:50 PM

There is a realistic sound mod in COH1 getting real sound recording from real gun, real MG42, real G43, oh that sound, both hurting my ears and making me high.

The background music of COH1 is definitely superior, voice acting, only USF and OKW being inferior, Brits in COH2 is a really well done job.
Pip
14 Mar 2021, 19:05 PM

Idk, for me prsonally its always felt like vCoH had much much more distinct sound clues. If I remember it correctly, units had voice lines saying what unit is attaking them and even if unit had lets say SMGs or not. CoH2 on the other hand has much more generic audio cues for most of the situations.

I think OST and SOV have a lot of lines for specific opposing units/vehicles attacking them, but OKW/USF/UKF were seemingly released before they were quite "ready", and so they haven't got quite so many "unique situation" lines, nor were OST and SOV given any lines referring to any of the "new" armies. Other indicators include: USF and UKF's lack of "real" winter uniforms (Especially for their Mainlines, even OKW has an unique uniform for "winter" volks), UKF and OKW's lack of team weapon crew models, etcetera, etcetera.

I think some may have been disabled for OST and SOV, too, as I've heard a lot of unused lines on youtube that have various units referring to particular other units.

Its a shame, I think many of CoH2's problems were caused by crunch/panicking about their financial situation around release. If they'd have had more time CoH2 would have been superior to CoH1 in /every/ way.

Here's hoping AoEIV is a massive success, and they then are given adequate time to polish CoH3 , which I am hoping we'll see. (CoH2 DLC/engine updates would be a fine alternate scenario)
14 Mar 2021, 21:10 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2021, 05:23 AMmrgame2
the animations and physics were also better in some places in coh1.
coh1 also had more complicated stats options to tweak

remember when coh2 did not have bullet trails on launch?

that is why i am not optimistic about coh3...

That's why I am optimistic about CoH3, it will have the fancy new engine Microsoft paid them to make for AoE4.
14 Mar 2021, 23:09 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2021, 21:10 PMTobis

That's why I am optimistic about CoH3, it will have the fancy new engine Microsoft paid them to make for AoE4.

They are making a new iteration of the Essence Engine. So that is kind of like Unreal Engine 5 from Unreal Engine 4; you reworking some of the rendering and other core components which may break some of the older functionality, and add some significantly large features and call it UE5. But it is 90% the same code.

I highly doubt they are remaking an engine from scratch. Only studios I know who are making new engine from scratch nowadays is 343i for Halo cuz they have like $500M in funding.
15 Mar 2021, 06:28 AM

In COH1 no, but I think of Obersoldaten as the Knights Cross Holders equivalent, since they are both late-game Super Germans.

Aren't Obersoldaten just supposed to be veteran infantry? The generic Obersoldat rank means 6+ months of service. I suppose it makes sense that they don't really fit in a post-Bagration Wehrmacht, I think they're meant to represent the more veteran Volksgrenadier divisions like the 12th.
15 Mar 2021, 07:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2021, 06:28 AMSpoof
Aren't Obersoldaten just supposed to be veteran infantry? The generic Obersoldat rank means 6+ months of service. I suppose it makes sense that they don't really fit in a post-Bagration Wehrmacht, I think they're meant to represent the more veteran Volksgrenadier divisions like the 12th.

As far as I know yes, they're just supposed to be veterans. This is supported by their base stats with MG 34 being very similar to Vet 3 LMG Grenadiers.

In-game Obersoldaten are implied to be Waffen-SS, like Panzergrenadiers they wear SS camouflage. Initially they were referred to as "Honor Guards" but this was cut very late, which is why neither Obersoldaten nor the Announcer refer to themselves by any title.

The name can rarely be heard in idle dialog. If idle Volksgrenadiers are near Obersoldaten they'll occasionally say something like "Stay away from those Honor Guard guys, they are fanatical, crazy."
15 Mar 2021, 11:05 AM

As far as I know yes, they're just supposed to be veterans. This is supported by their base stats with MG 34 being very similar to Vet 3 LMG Grenadiers.

In-game Obersoldaten are implied to be Waffen-SS, like Panzergrenadiers they wear SS camouflage. Initially they were referred to as "Honor Guards" but this was cut very late, which is why neither Obersoldaten nor the Announcer refer to themselves by any title.

The name can rarely be heard in idle dialog. If idle Volksgrenadiers are near Obersoldaten they'll occasionally say something like "Stay away from those Honor Guard guys, they are fanatical, crazy."

Of course they are crazy, they took methamphetamine.
15 Mar 2021, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

that recording sounds dreadful, the audio is clipping and the bass has been boosted

This.

Cooler is a subjective matter, but more realistic is surely not the case. Not even authentic.
15 Mar 2021, 16:40 PM
Benefactor 115

to be clear, I don't think the CoH1 sfx are dreadful. However, the video used as an example is rubbish.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★