Login

russian armor

CoH2 Replays Crash Bug Reproduction Help

1 of 4 Relic postsRelic 3 Mar 2021, 22:43 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Hey everyone.

We’re aware of the current issue with crashing while attempting to review replays in-game, but this is proving a tough nut to crack. The bug relates to certain hardware configurations and a third party middleware provider which is no longer supported.

We’re asking for your help so we can obtain more data/reproduction to help us identify the root of the issue. If you could use this thread to submit replays in which you can reproduce the crash, that would be extremely helpful. Also please provide detailed instructions on how to reproduce the crash while viewing the replay.

Feel free to use COH2.org's "upload replay" feature in your post, or if you want to go the extra mile, submitting a video would also be helpful. (Videos should be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo. They can be set to “unlisted” but please ensure they are not set to “private.")

You can find your saved replays in your folder here: C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\playback

Finally, if you can, please provide your full DxDiag information. (Type dxdiag into your start bar to find this.)

Thanks for your help as we work to solve this issue.
3 Mar 2021, 22:53 PM
Donator 11

Hello John, before I upload replays I want to mention that if I watch replays at 2560x1440 I get crashes but if I change the resolution to 1920x1080 it doesn't crash anymore. Same hardware, same replay, just different video settings.
4 Mar 2021, 00:32 AM

This one was really brutal.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/935951411

It seemed to be related to using ZoomIt to draw over the screen. Or, when I was using the time controls or interacting with the interface, it also seemed to bugsplat at around the same times. When I stopped hitting buttons it wasn't so bad.
4 Mar 2021, 06:00 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

I had one person submit me 3 replays for casting, all of them ended up crashing. It didn't seem to happen at an exact game time, if I fast forwarded I could get further in.
In a submission from a different player the replay crashed about 2 minutes in, then I restarted the game and left it running afk (this time no screen recording) and got 8 minutes in, so I restarted COH2 and tried casting it again, once again got to around 1:30 and crashed.

These were for the previous patch though so the replays are probably not helpful.
Here is an example of a failed attempt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNul8Z-YYw

This would usually happen less than 2 minutes in of broadcast time and I would guess impacted about 1/3 replays submitted to me that I tried casting.
4 Mar 2021, 15:51 PM

I will help, I will also be able to provide videos of the crashes.

I am curious about what this third party middleware is.

Replay is the same as the one turbotortoise provided

Error report send
For John
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDtUl4dcPEQ

DxDiag under spoiler

2 of 4 Relic postsRelic 5 Mar 2021, 18:00 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Hey everyone, just wanted to say that you can also submit old replays if you have any that meet the criteria. :)
Pip
5 Mar 2021, 18:03 PM

Hey everyone, just wanted to say that you can also submit old replays if you have any that meet the criteria. :)

Pre-patch replays just won't work at all though, will they? I thought each patch outright broke old replays due to the gameplay changes cocking up the demos?
3 of 4 Relic postsRelic 5 Mar 2021, 18:27 PM
Developer Relic Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 18:03 PMPip

Pre-patch replays just won't work at all though, will they? I thought each patch outright broke old replays due to the gameplay changes cocking up the demos?

Though broken replays won't work, I'm told by the team that we can still learn things by looking at the files. :)
5 Mar 2021, 19:39 PM
Director of Social Media Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 18:03 PMPip

Steam: Library -> Right click on Company of Heroes 2 -> Properties -> General : Launch Options -> Add -allowIncompatibleReplays

You need to add this to see the replay in game.

If it's a replay from the game version 4.0.0.23887 (between Winter Balance Patch and its hotfix) then you can normally play it entire but you will have the message "Sync-error detected" during the play.
Pip
5 Mar 2021, 19:47 PM

Though broken replays won't work, I'm told by the team that we can still learn things by looking at the files. :)

Ah, fair enough then, thanks for letting us know! I'll be sure to forward any relevant replays, though I haven't encountered the issue myself.

Library -> Right click on Company of Heroes 2 -> Properties -> General : Launch Options -> Add -allowIncompatibleReplays

You need to add this to see the replay in game.

If it's a replay from the game version 4.0.0.23887 (between Winter Balance Patch and its hotfix) then you can normally play it entire but you will have the message "Sync-error detected" during the play.

Really? Strange that you even need to set that launch option then, if it generally doesn't cause (major) issues to watch an "incompatible" game. I suppose it's just a "safety" measure.

5 Mar 2021, 20:02 PM
Director of Social Media Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 19:47 PMPip
Really? Strange that you even need to set that launch option then, if it generally doesn't cause (major) issues to watch an "incompatible" game. I suppose it's just a "safety" measure.

Because really old replays may crash the game ^^ cf. https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/122894/replays-an-update-time-for-some-good-news
6 Mar 2021, 19:41 PM

It's also possible to use CELO to change the replay version and although the game won't make sense... they can still play.

The more I watch, spectate and replays, the more I'm convinced interacting with the UI or effecting the time control makes the game unstable.
8 Mar 2021, 17:59 PM

Caught a crash while casting, its not a replay, I was spectating online but I still hope it helps

Bugsplath submitted.
For John
Link: https://youtu.be/2nAiLalmN3g

(I also think this unsupported middleware is scakeform and its use of Flash, hence it often crashes when we interact with the GUI)
8 Mar 2021, 21:17 PM

Hey everyone.

to solve this issue.

Hi John, Thanks that you mention this. Currently I switched of replays by enable wirte protection. Currently I feel this might not be a HW issue, because I have a new rig, etc.

But I guess it could the antivirus programm,too. I switched both off, write replays and i do not have this issue any more. now I had only once or twice a bug splat but before every start and so on.
I usse avira as an antivirus programm. coh2 via steam runs on an ssd.

Another guess I have is, that i might be something with sound.... anyway, just some thoughts and maybe a dead end....

DXdiag:
9 Mar 2021, 13:05 PM

Hey everyone.

We’re aware of the current issue with crashing while attempting to review replays in-game, but this is proving a tough nut to crack. The bug relates to certain hardware configurations and a third party middleware provider which is no longer supported.

We’re asking for your help so we can obtain more data/reproduction to help us identify the root of the issue. If you could use this thread to submit replays in which you can reproduce the crash, that would be extremely helpful. Also please provide detailed instructions on how to reproduce the crash while viewing the replay.

Feel free to use COH2.org's "upload replay" feature in your post, or if you want to go the extra mile, submitting a video would also be helpful. (Videos should be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo. They can be set to “unlisted” but please ensure they are not set to “private.")

You can find your saved replays in your folder here: C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\playback

Finally, if you can, please provide your full DxDiag information. (Type dxdiag into your start bar to find this.)

Thanks for your help as we work to solve this issue.

Hello JohnT_RE, here is my case: https://www.coh2.org/replay/107748/replay-for-crash-report

And here is how I reproduce the crash within 2 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIgMEftQqo

And here is my DxDiag.txt:

It happens most likely in the following situations:

• Switching sides while watching replay. Enabling "Following Camera" and 8x time speed increase its chance.
  • Going "Online & Skirmish" after watching any replay.
4 of 4 Relic postsRelic 10 Mar 2021, 00:20 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Hey folks. We have a potential fix we need help testing. Hop over to this new thread I started for details. Much appreciated! :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★