Login

russian armor

Do RTX GPUs Run Smoothly Playing CoH2?

3 Mar 2021, 16:54 PM
Donator 11

Siberian was complaining the other day when he streamed that he doesn't play because CoH 2 is choppy on his new GPU and something wrong with COH2/RTX. I'm not sure if this is true.

Before I go buy a RTX GPU, anybody here running CoH 2 with good stable FPS on at least a 1080p or 1440p monitor? GTX 3000 series preferably.

p.s. All RTX GPUs sold out.
3 Mar 2021, 17:15 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Yes. RTX 3080, play at 1440p.

I notice some rare flickering issues recently but they are related to the 64bit client afaik. The framerate is incredibly stable and always above 100 fps. It's actually weird because the scroll rate on the map is tied to your fps, so it suddenly feels like I'm zooming around the map since I upgraded.
3 Mar 2021, 17:46 PM

Siberian was complaining the other day when he streamed that he doesn't play because CoH 2 is choppy on his new GPU and something wrong with COH2/RTX.

Did Siberian say it was always choppy or just when he streamed? Seemed like he thought it was while streaming using OBS.

There are some prebuilt PCs around with RTX2xxx and 3xxx cards that are only a little more than the cards themselves right now? See systems with 3070 for around $1300-1400 US.

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2021, 17:15 PMTobis
It's actually weird because the scroll rate on the map is tied to your fps, so it suddenly feels like I'm zooming around the map since I upgraded.

When I turn of V-Sync the game moves ridiculously fast. Just another indicator of Relics poor coding. Moves should be based on time not on FPS. Amateur stuff.

3 Mar 2021, 18:35 PM

My issues were always with OBS & while streaming. I have not tested without so take that with a pinch of salt. I run a 5600x & a 3080 and have 0 problems with anything else (COH2 is the only game that is unplayable for me). I have tried different drivers (older/newer), different global/application settings including V-Sync, AA, High/low, you name it. I've tried Game mode, GPU Hardware accelerated scheduling, Admin/Non-admin priviledges, different encoders (both x264 & NVENC at different presets). Nothing has worked so far so I am inclined to believe its an issue somewhere on the software side between COH2 & OBS. Hilariously enough, my 980 Ti could run the game just fine with my 5820k on the NVENC encoder with none of these issues.

My very recent and last attempt at fixing my "stuttering" (note that it's stuttering and not straight up FPS drops) allowed me to play for about 2 hours before essentially becoming unplayable again to the point of no return (I need a full stream restart to reset this after) as if it feels like something is holding all your performance back. Think of a more extreme version of the memory leak with stuttering, sluggishness & general crap performance.

It MIGHT just be my GPU but I don't think it is since this is literally the only game that gives me any sort of issue. I am sure the game will run completely fine without OBS but if you're thinking of streaming and getting into the 3x series, perhaps wait it out a bit to see if there are any drivers that might fix the issue whilst stock recovers (optimistic).

I hope that helps you out (lol). I am open to any other suggestions if any of you folks have any additional ideas but I've pretty much exhausted all of my software configurations on my side short of finding a new 3080 to test with (completely impractical).
3 Mar 2021, 18:50 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

My issues were always with OBS & while streaming. I have not tested without so take that with a pinch of salt. I run a 5600x & a 3080 and have 0 problems with anything else (COH2 is the only game that is unplayable for me). I have tried different drivers (older/newer), different global/application settings including V-Sync, AA, High/low, you name it. I've tried Game mode, GPU Hardware accelerated scheduling, Admin/Non-admin priviledges, different encoders (both x264 & NVENC at different presets). Nothing has worked so far so I am inclined to believe its an issue somewhere on the software side between COH2 & OBS. Hilariously enough, my 980 Ti could run the game just fine with my 5820k on the NVENC encoder with none of these issues.

My very recent and last attempt at fixing my "stuttering" (note that it's stuttering and not straight up FPS drops) allowed me to play for about 2 hours before essentially becoming unplayable again to the point of no return (I need a full stream restart to reset this after) as if it feels like something is holding all your performance back. Think of a more extreme version of the memory leak with stuttering, sluggishness & general crap performance.

It MIGHT just be my GPU but I don't think it is since this is literally the only game that gives me any sort of issue. I am sure the game will run completely fine without OBS but if you're thinking of streaming and getting into the 3x series, perhaps wait it out a bit to see if there are any drivers that might fix the issue whilst stock recovers (optimistic).

I hope that helps you out (lol). I am open to any other suggestions if any of you folks have any additional ideas but I've pretty much exhausted all of my software configurations on my side short of finding a new 3080 to test with (completely impractical).

How old of a driver did you try? The geforce driver that came with Cyberpunk in November broke a few games for some people and caused massive stuttering when running a 3xxx series gpu with a 5xxx ryzen cpu. I had forgotten but I downgraded back to driver 457.30 because of a different game which fixed all the stuttering issues I had.

My very recent and last attempt at fixing my "stuttering" (note that it's stuttering and not straight up FPS drops) allowed me to play for about 2 hours before essentially becoming unplayable again to the point of no return

This part sounds exactly like what I was experiencing. High fps but massive stuttering after playing for awhile. Restarting the game doesn't fix it.
3 Mar 2021, 18:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2021, 18:50 PMTobis

How old of a driver did you try? The geforce driver that came with Cyberpunk in November broke a few games for some people and caused massive stuttering when running a 3xxx series gpu with a 5xxx ryzen cpu. I had forgotten but I downgraded back to driver 457.30 because of a different game which fixed all the stuttering issues I had.

This part sounds exactly like what I was experiencing. High fps but massive stuttering after playing for awhile. Restarting the game doesn't fix it.

Interesting, I had not tried that old of a driver since I am playing other recent games as well (seems ridiculous you have to do it if this is truly the case - welcome to drivers). The version I tried was the Cyperpunk optimised ones like you mentioned.

Again, it's just COH2 which baffles the mind. You'd think I'd have other stuttering issues with other games somewhere but nope, not a flinch.

I might try downgrading to 457.30 to see if this does anything for me and can report back but I am pretty burnt out after exhausting hours on this nonsense with COH2 :P
3 Mar 2021, 23:38 PM

5800X and RTX3080, with 64GB DDR4-3200 RAM.
The first few games run smoothly and good, but after few games the game started to have shuttering issues ONLY WHEN SCROLLING, restarting the game cannot solve this issue, I need to restart the whole computer solving this.

No idea why.

Never have this issue with i7-8700 and RTX2080.
6 Mar 2021, 03:34 AM

Problem seems to have disappeared with the 457.30 driver that Tobis suggested. At 3 hours with no problems or hitches now.

Link below:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/drivers/results/166764/

I guess we'll need to wait for Nvidia to release some more stable drivers.

This should PROBABLY be stickied somewhere for all future & current RTX owners.

EDIT: 4.5 hours in now, still no problems. I think it's fair to chalk it up to driver issues.
6 Mar 2021, 04:53 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Important to note, this is only when you have a 3000 series gpu AND a ryzen 5000 series. One or the other works fine.

I wouldn't expect Relic to be able to fix this, bigger devs from bigger games haven't been able to fix it. Problems seen by users in Anno 1800, steamVR, and the new call of duty. Add CoH2 to the list, and probably more when stock on the new hardware evens out and people notice it.
6 Mar 2021, 11:53 AM
Donator 11

Nvidia released a hotfix intended to fix screen flickering and stuttering in some applications on the 4th March- might this help?

Announcing GeForce Hotfix Driver 461.81 (Released 3/4/21)

MAR 2021
MAR 2021
NVIDIA STAFF
Manuel@NVIDIA
2d
GeForce Hotfix display driver version 461.81 is based on our latest Game Ready Driver 461.72 .
The hotfix addresses the following issues:
[Fortnite] Shader cache optimizations to reduce intermittent stutter on some PC configurations [3244272]
[GeForce GTX 1660 Super]: Random flickering may appear across the top of the monitor on some PC configurations. [3184254]
[Vulkan] Red Dead Redemption 2 may display pixelated black dots [3266614]
Some desktop applications may stutter when moving around the window on some PC configurations [3252200]
Enabling NVIDIA Surround with 4K HDMI 2.1 TVs may fail [3184849]
[Rocket League] Matches may take longer to load [3244324]
[Detroit: Become Human] Game may crash when launched with Image Sharpening enabled [200667092]
It can be accessed here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5168

6 Mar 2021, 13:40 PM

Game runs fine for me when streaming for 3 ish hrs smooth, then after that it feels like im dragging my screen across sandpaper.
6 Mar 2021, 13:43 PM

i should add i had no problems with this before 64bit
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight