Should the IS-2 be reworked?
Option Distribution Votes
60%
40%
Total votes: 107
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
28 Feb 2021, 23:58 PM

Hello,
As you can probably tell, i've just created a forum account to make this post. I am mostly just a casual player that likes to have fun with friends, we often use weird tactics like B4 spam, but sometimes i feel like some things in this game are just not balanced properly. One of them is the infamous IS-2 tank.
It was a groundbreaker in WW2, it had potential to kill every tank it faced due to it's powerful, but at the same time sometimes impractical gun. Even though it weighted only slightly more than a Panther, it had armour which could compete with Konigstiger. Due to it's reliability it was used even till the 1990s in some eastern block countries.
In this game however, this tank is just a pile of trash. It's enormous gun, which could brake Konigstiger's front plate IRL has the same damage as some 57mm field cannon. It's combined with not so fast reload, making it actually useless without support, and what I mean, is that it hardly can hold it's own against a Panther! This tank's only upside is it's front armour. it's just a bullet sponge, and IT SHOULD NOT BE THAT WAY. IS-2's current pickrate is just laughtable. KV-2 does WAY better job against BOTH tanks and infantry alike, and due to it's increased health at vet 3, it just makes IS-2 redundant. I think we can all agree that IS-2 is worthless.
What i think we can also agree upon, is that Stalin's tank should not be like that. It's pickrate should be around one of the Tiger's. It should be distinct in it's way. It just requires higher damage per shot, I suggest 200 or 240. It's rate of fire should be lowered, but also scatter against infantry should see a buff. I could even agree that it's price should be stated higher, and it's CP requirements could be 13 or even 14.
I am open for discussion on the topic ))
1 Mar 2021, 05:16 AM

Agreed, it's sad that the IS-2 is worse than the Tiger I, when it should be on-par with the Tiger II. But rather than buff the IS-2 I would honestly rather see the Tiger II brought down to it's level (With the exception of gun damage, both should do 240), and the Tiger I brought closer to the Pershing. I think less tanky tanks would benefit the game.
1 Mar 2021, 05:39 AM

Sure, remove those all trucks deployed requirement from KT and im fine
1 Mar 2021, 06:39 AM

Sure, remove those all trucks deployed requirement from KT and im fine

Bruh, you still need to get soviet t4 in order to get IS-2.
1 Mar 2021, 07:32 AM

Bruh, you still need to get soviet t4 in order to get IS-2.

Of course, seems a normal thing to me, like every other heavy
1 Mar 2021, 10:27 AM

Nah, IS2 is fine on sight blocker maps like Elst. Keep it shit on open maps, it's perfect as it is now, alongside most heavies like Pershing and Tiger.
1 Mar 2021, 11:14 AM

I wouldn't mind a damage increase in exchange for a lower rof for flavor but I don't think any changes are necessary frankly
1 Mar 2021, 11:18 AM

Nah, IS2 is fine on sight blocker maps like Elst. Keep it shit on open maps, it's perfect as it is now, alongside most heavies like Pershing and Tiger.

But the tank that is supposed to be on par with the Tiger is the KV-2, IS-2 should have damage per shot advantage and it should be more costy. This would make logical sense, since now KV-2 just outshines IS-2 even when it comes to tank on tank combat and makes stalin obsolete.
1 Mar 2021, 11:23 AM

I wouldn't mind a damage increase in exchange for a lower rof for flavor but I don't think any changes are necessary frankly

I absolutely get what you mean and I think it should definitely be that way, but KV-2 does that already, and the IS-2 should be on a higher level. What I proposed is, make it 13 CP and increase it's fuel cost, so when it comes to effectiveness and price it's between Tiger and Konigstiger - around the Tiger Ace level.
1 Mar 2021, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I agree, the IS-2 needs some love. Instead of a main gun flavor change (because it would make shots missed become even more punishing), I would make it an even better damage sponge by increasing HP to 1280 (on par with Tiger II).
1 Mar 2021, 11:48 AM

All heavies got shred 2 patch ago now, they are no longer pleasant to use but at least they don't dominate 1vs1 meta: RIP Ace Tiger
MMX
1 Mar 2021, 11:51 AM

+1

the is-2 is fine atm. it might be a bit disadvantaged by its low rof compared to the tiger in the at department, but makes up for it in survivability and packs a more than decent punch against infantry.

sure 200 dmg and lower rof would be an interesting idea and set the is-2 apart from its lower-caliber rivals. but this would also open another can of worms by impacting the balance between the performance against mediums and premium meds/heavies

if anything, all heavies (maybe excluding the kv-2) could use a slight price/pop adjustment, but that's another story...
1 Mar 2021, 11:56 AM

That's pretty much how it was in 1st year and how KV-2 is now.
It would be a bad idea for IS-2.
1 Mar 2021, 12:19 PM

... It's combined with not so fast reload, making it actually useless without support, and what I mean, is that it hardly can hold it's own against a Panther!...

Panther is meant to counter IS-2.

I am not sure why you think that SU-85/M36/FF should counter Axis heavy tanks and Panther should not counter that IS-2.
1 Mar 2021, 12:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2021, 12:19 PMVipper

Panther is meant to counter IS-2.

I am not sure why you think that SU-85/M36/FF should counter Axis heavy tanks and Panther should not counter that IS-2.

Panther is supposed to counter all medium tanks and can be spammed. It's also way cheaper than IS-2 and does not require CP. IS-2 is supposed to be countered by Elefant, Jagdtiger, Konigstiger, Jp4s, Stugs, Pak 40s, Pak 43s and finally Schrecks. IS-2 should indeed counter panther, germans have a lot more options to deal with heavy tanks AND THOSE OPTIONS SHOULD BE UTILIZED, not abandonded. You just want to spam one unit to kill everything, and that's not how the game works ;)
1 Mar 2021, 12:45 PM

IS2 is pretty bad and not a challenge to face when its on the field. I barely see any opponents using it. Please make it a viable option again.
1 Mar 2021, 12:48 PM

Panther is supposed to counter all medium tanks and can be spammed. It's also way cheaper than IS-2 and does not require CP. IS-2 is supposed to be countered by Elefant, Jagdtiger, Konigstiger, Jp4s, Stugs, Pak 40s, Pak 43s and finally Schrecks. IS-2 should indeed counter panther, germans have a lot more options to deal with heavy tanks AND THOSE OPTIONS SHOULD BE UTILIZED, not abandonded. You just want to spam one unit to kill everything, and that's not how the game works ;)

what a post of nonsense, so you say it is fine that tiger gets hardcountered by undoc su85 jack/ff but for IS2 we cant rely on the most expensive unit in the german rooster (exept commanders)

getting your is2 countered by panthers is a l2p issue, you play double zis with it. The same thing you do when you play tiger and face su85
1 Mar 2021, 12:54 PM

what a post of nonsense, so you say it is fine that tiger gets hardcountered by undoc su85 jack/ff but for IS2 we cant rely on the most expensive unit in the german rooster (exept commanders)

getting your is2 countered by panthers is a l2p issue, you play double zis with it. The same thing you do when you play tiger and face su85

I never said that i get my IS-2 countered by panther. I said that KV-2 does way better job at everything, and I said that IS-2 should do more damage and see an increase in price and CP requirements.
I also think that you fill in the category of german hipocrites - you say that your UNDOC Konigstiger can be countered by UNDOC Su 85, but complain that you have to use UNDOC units (i mentioned a lot of them, I know germans can only spam big tanks but you have a lot of AT means in your arsenal) to kill a tank present in ONLY 2 COMMANDERS ;)
1 Mar 2021, 13:03 PM

You know realism here is not really a factor in balance unless you want a mg42 to kill every infantry very fast and ofcourse they will be also be not nearsighted, t34 will be much worse than it is , panzerfaust can instagib your puny tanks etc.
1 Mar 2021, 13:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2021, 13:03 PMLMAO
You know realism here is not really a factor in balance unless you want a mg42 to kill every infantry very fast and ofcourse they will be also be not nearsighted, t34 will be much worse than it is , panzerfaust can instagib your puny tanks etc.

Yes, I absolutely get your point, but I just wantet to give a historical background to my claims, the rest of my post is pure argumentation based on gameplay. I think everyone can agree that IS-2s pickrate is very low and it's just a bad tank overall. That's why I want it to be changed
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 61
Germany 21
unknown 19

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %