Login

russian armor

British counter barrage is broken

15 Feb 2021, 19:45 PM

The commander has Precision barrage already whixch is really strong. It makes no sense to give him a second ability of the same kind which is just a little bit weaker and cheaper. UKF needs onmap artillery the most, so remove emplacement buff ability and CB. Give him an onmap artillery piece and something like Designate Command Vehicle and it is okay.

That's a good point. Since the the point of CB is to displace opposing artillery from countering your glorious Sim City I think the Concentrated Arty fills that role better (while simultaneously working like CB). It would probably make more sense to remove Precision Barrage and replace it with something that fits the commander flavor. I do think on-map artillery option would be a good thing for Brit diversity so you don't have to go Land Mattress or Sexton every time you want serious artillery options.
15 Feb 2021, 20:02 PM

Replace that ability with 25pounder emplacment from glorius all unit mod and we gut
16 Feb 2021, 01:56 AM

The commander has Precision barrage already whixch is really strong. It makes no sense to give him a second ability of the same kind which is just a little bit weaker and cheaper. UKF needs onmap artillery the most, so remove emplacement buff ability and CB. Give him an onmap artillery piece and something like Designate Command Vehicle and it is okay.

I like the idea of removing counterbattery and emplacement buff and replacing them with an on-map25 pounder and a command vehicle.

The pop cap for the bofors needs to be adjusted. Having it set at 10 is too high for something that is immobile. It's also difficult to make them worthwhile. Too far forward and they're easily destroyed. Too far back and they do nothing.
16 Feb 2021, 06:53 AM

Precision Barrage is indeed quite strong, but also quite expensive, imo having it and a 25 pounder in the same doctrine wouldn't be that strong, needs testing. Thing is, I wouldn't remove that ability entirely from the game, so if it's deemed strong in this doctrine then it should be moved to an another.
Similarly wehrmacht's Storm doctrine has both a Lefh and stuka bomb, along with a recon option.

I like the command vehicle idea too, imo the Valentine tank would be a good fit if its concentrated barrage ability could work on 25 pounder emplacements too, similar to ostheer arty's officer's ability with LefHs.
16 Feb 2021, 17:02 PM

Precision Barrage is indeed quite strong, but also quite expensive, imo having it and a 25 pounder in the same doctrine wouldn't be that strong, needs testing. Thing is, I wouldn't remove that ability entirely from the game, so if it's deemed strong in this doctrine then it should be moved to an another.
Similarly wehrmacht's Storm doctrine has both a Lefh and stuka bomb, along with a recon option.

I like the command vehicle idea too, imo the Valentine tank would be a good fit if its concentrated barrage ability could work on 25 pounder emplacements too, similar to ostheer arty's officer's ability with LefHs.

Give counterbarrage to the 25 pounder, that way it could be countered. Also, the Valentine would be a good alternative to the command vehicle.

Eliminating the buff to emplacements would make it easier to balance them. The normal ones seem pretty weak. Even the upgraded ones go down quickly to LEIGs and MHT's.
16 Feb 2021, 18:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Feb 2021, 17:02 PMGrumpy

Give counterbarrage to the 25 pounder, that way it could be countered. Also, the Valentine would be a good alternative to the command vehicle.

Eliminating the buff to emplacements would make it easier to balance them. The normal ones seem pretty weak. Even the upgraded ones go down quickly to LEIGs and MHT's.

Yes, I was thinking about giving CB to 25 pounder emplacement, but I'm a bit unsure about that, considering the 25 pounder, being an emplacement, would be still more durable than other static arty pieces.

Another thing to consider is wether 25 pounder would have brace or not. Personally I would say it should with the tradeoff of having shorter range than lefH, this would force players to build it closer to the frontline, thus making it a bit easier to counter.

And yes, I agree with the buff upgrade removal.
16 Feb 2021, 19:02 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that some people will try to counter howitzers with other howitzers. Having an offmap that can nuke other howitzers in a doctrine with a howitzer might be too good depending on how the 25 pounder in implemented.
16 Feb 2021, 21:57 PM

Yes, I was thinking about giving CB to 25 pounder emplacement, but I'm a bit unsure about that, considering the 25 pounder, being an emplacement, would be still more durable than other static arty pieces.

Another thing to consider is wether 25 pounder would have brace or not. Personally I would say it should with the tradeoff of having shorter range than lefH, this would force players to build it closer to the frontline, thus making it a bit easier to counter.

And yes, I agree with the buff upgrade removal.

I don't think a 25 pounder should have brace. It would be nearly impossible to kill and would instantly be contentious. Imagine barrage, brace, barrage, brace, barrage, brace....wait for sound of Stuka, brace....... Doesn't sound like a good idea.
17 Feb 2021, 09:33 AM

From a design point of view I would even test replacing brace with stand fast (ability to self-repair at resources cost).

The would create a mechanism that emplacement would actually cause bleed making them easier to balance instead of the current state with it all or nothing approach.
17 Feb 2021, 12:11 PM

Getting rid of all counter-battery and call in flare abilities would improve the balance of team games immensely.

Would love to see the 25pdr as a buildable unit.

Or maybe a 'weaker' version of the 17pdr thats just a reskinned Pak43.

I dunno, just something that adds variety to emplacements rather than the current setup.
17 Feb 2021, 17:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2021, 12:11 PMGrim
Getting rid of all counter-battery and call in flare abilities would improve the balance of team games immensely.

Would love to see the 25pdr as a buildable unit.

Or maybe a 'weaker' version of the 17pdr thats just a reskinned Pak43.

I dunno, just something that adds variety to emplacements rather than the current setup.

Flares should be drastically reduced in duration, to something more like a recon pass because they can't be countered. Recon loiters are okay because they at least have counters.

I agree with removing counter-battery from the LEFH. It normally wins against the ML20 and then starts wrecking everything else. It becomes as set-and-forget source of damage that most of the community is against. I'd like it replaced with long range smoke for the games when I don't have a mortar.

A stand fast ability would also be okay, but I think it should cost munitions instead of MP, like other arty abilities.
17 Feb 2021, 18:53 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that some people will try to counter howitzers with other howitzers. Having an offmap that can nuke other howitzers in a doctrine with a howitzer might be too good depending on how the 25 pounder in implemented.

We already have commanders at ost and soviet with this combination of onmap artillery + delete opponent howitzer with one click.

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2021, 12:11 PMGrim

Yeah, all flares that are not bound to a unit shooting it short ranged to recon a small area of enemy frontline (and nothing else) should be removed. The whole time we see adjustements to AA performance of AA units at the current patch while this abilities still exist and just can't be countered. We are talking about OKW Artillery flares and UKF Early Warning mainly. Just get rid of them and replace them with counterable stuff.

17 Feb 2021, 23:42 PM

We already have commanders at ost and soviet with this combination of onmap artillery + delete opponent howitzer with one click.

Well yeah. But "There is other cancer so let's add more" isn't exactly a good idea for a good game experience. If anything I'm hopeful that the next commander revamp will take out some of the commanders with overly strong combos and smooth out the power curve a little.
18 Feb 2021, 01:23 AM

Well yeah. But "There is other cancer so let's add more" isn't exactly a good idea for a good game experience. If anything I'm hopeful that the next commander revamp will take out some of the commanders with overly strong combos and smooth out the power curve a little.

None of the suggestions in this thread would make AE an OP commander. Counter barrage is garbage most of the time. There's only a few that are obvious go-to's in 4v4's. Mechanized support already got its nerf in the coming patch. Jaeger armor should've but didn't. Everything else gives up advanced tanks for arty.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★