Login

russian armor

Bofors 40MM Discussion

14 Jan 2021, 06:22 AM

Today I would like to talk about the UKF Bofors 40mm Anti-Aircraft Gun.

Veterancy

First of all has anyone gotten the Bofors to Vet 3? In my almost 7000 hours of COH 2 played I have never seen a Bofors Vet 2 let alone vet 3. Usually when the enemy knows that you have a Bofors, they will either avoid that area of the map or use Mortar/AT Gun spam to take it out.

Anti-Air Capability

Second as an Anti-Aircraft Gun it doesn't actually do a good job of AA. If I am not mistaken it was bugged previously and did 0 damage to air planes making it unable to function as an AA gun.

Physical Size/Unit Scale

The Bofors is massive in game and doesn't match the unit scale compared to other things in the game. Even if I do build the unit, certain maps can make it a double edged sword as it messes up unit/tank pathing.

[u]Pop Size
The unit has a massive pop size cost of 10. For how easy it is to kill, the investment (Research + Build time/Fuel Cost) it is a very very inefficient use of resources that could be spent on something else.

Proposed Changes

-Give the Bofors shared vet like the Kubelwagon. This would allow the unit to actually gain veterancy if properly maintained.

-Fix/Boost the Anti-Air Performance of the Bofors

-Reduce the physical size of the Bofors to be slightly bigger than the OKW 20MM Flak.

-Reduce Population from 10 to 5

In exchange for these buffs, I would like to see the Bofors nerfed to similar levels of the OKW 20MM Flak.
This would make it better to actually build as the unit wouldnt be a huge drain on your manpower and better to play against Germans as the emplacement would be used in a supportive role (like the OKW 20mm Flak) and could actually gain vet and scale to the late game while not taking LEFH/Mortar/AT Gun spam to kill.
14 Jan 2021, 06:38 AM

The AA issue has been fixed, the Bofors have a very decent AA capable now..
14 Jan 2021, 07:40 AM

It will also never get to vet3, because you'd have to fight against someone exceptionally stupid to feed it vet once its discovered.
14 Jan 2021, 07:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2021, 07:40 AMKatitof
It will also never get to vet3, because you'd have to fight against someone exceptionally stupid to feed it vet once its discovered.

Agreed unless its the AI (which is retarded as hell and will just charge into it nonstop). Even a player at the lowest skill level is not going to charge into the Bofors to get it to get Vet 3.
14 Jan 2021, 10:01 AM

It would be nice if it had a new niche, even just affordable AA. Emplacements are inherently problematic, so its hard to figure out.
14 Jan 2021, 10:03 AM

Today I would like to talk about the UKF Bofors 40mm Anti-Aircraft Gun.

Veterancy

First of all has anyone gotten the Bofors to Vet 3? In my almost 7000 hours of COH 2 played I have never seen a Bofors Vet 2 let alone vet 3. Usually when the enemy knows that you have a Bofors, they will either avoid that area of the map or use Mortar/AT Gun spam to take it out.

Maybe you should also be asking for 20mm AA to even be able to gain veterancy first.
Vaz
14 Jan 2021, 11:18 AM

The only kind of crazy thing is the pop change to me. Does the okw truck consume pop? I wouldn't think it is. The gun is the most similar comparison on the axis side. Not sure how I really feel, but I think halving the pop cost of a unit that is supposed to have a pop cost is a quite a buff. The whole thing with emplacements is that you can't make a city and an army. Coh1 had a big problem with brits making tons of emplacements that were difficult to remove. Coh2 doesn't seem to have as bad of a problem, however.
Pip
14 Jan 2021, 11:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2021, 11:18 AMVaz
The only kind of crazy thing is the pop change to me. Does the okw truck consume pop? I wouldn't think it is. The gun is the most similar comparison on the axis side. Not sure how I really feel, but I think halving the pop cost of a unit that is supposed to have a pop cost is a quite a buff. The whole thing with emplacements is that you can't make a city and an army. Coh1 had a big problem with brits making tons of emplacements that were difficult to remove. Coh2 doesn't seem to have as bad of a problem, however.

The OKW building can't consume pop because it's a necessary tech building, and is limited to just a single instance. (It's also a lot more expensive).

Emplacements in general are quite difficult to balance,

You might also compare it to the OKW Flak emplacements from Luftwaffe and Fortifications doctrines. (Though their power level is obviously not as high)
14 Jan 2021, 13:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2021, 11:38 AMPip
You might also compare it to the OKW Flak emplacements from Luftwaffe and Fortifications doctrines. (Though their power level is obviously not as high)

That is the 20mm flak, the OKW truck has a 37mm iirc (same as the ostwind).

Removing the vet on the bofor in trade for lower pop cap and maybe a smaller object/target?
Pip
14 Jan 2021, 14:02 PM

That is the 20mm flak, the OKW truck has a 37mm iirc (same as the ostwind).

Removing the vet on the bofor in trade for lower pop cap and maybe a smaller object/target?

The "Size" of the flak gun is immaterial, they're functionally similar units, both being 360 degree, immobile suppression/AI platforms (With light AT ability). The Bofors is certainly better, but for what they are I think the Flak bases are as good a comparison as the Flaktruck.
14 Jan 2021, 16:05 PM

10 pop is too much, 8 sounds better
14 Jan 2021, 17:16 PM

i have a suggestion:

remove it from the game
14 Jan 2021, 19:21 PM

But the model is so pretty...
14 Jan 2021, 19:39 PM

15 Jan 2021, 11:13 AM

Flak/Bofor/PanzerHQ are things that cause problems in the game.
A game that requires high micro skill. Having units that just build then it just work itself with ZERO micro control

They should work like Pounder & Pak, with a limited cone, and requires some micro to change their direction ect to make them work.
15 Jan 2021, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Flak/Bofor/PanzerHQ are things that cause problems in the game.
A game that requires high micro skill. Having units that just build then it just work itself with ZERO micro control

They should work like Pounder & Pak, with a limited cone, and requires some micro to change their direction ect to make them work.

Placing an MG bunker is not that much different from just placing an MG somewhere and then forgetting about it when it comes to micro.
The only thing MG bunkers need is a small pop cap cost of 2-3 pop plus a dismantle ability to free it u again.

Bofors and Flak Emplacement should have some kind of Cone though. That way they could even receive a slight buff since they become flankable.
At the moment they are just a stupid bumper that you can't run into until you shot at them long enough to kill them. If they became truly flankable then they could even see for example their range increased.
15 Jan 2021, 16:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2021, 10:03 AMVipper

Maybe you should also be asking for 20mm AA to even be able to gain veterancy first.

Well the scope/focus of the thread is on the Bofors 40mm however I wouldn't be against the OKW 20MM Flak AA gaining vet. That should be a separate topic/thread though.
16 Jan 2021, 03:58 AM

Placing an MG bunker is not that much different from just placing an MG somewhere and then forgetting about it when it comes to micro.
The only thing MG bunkers need is a small pop cap cost of 2-3 pop plus a dismantle ability to free it u again.

Bofors and Flak Emplacement should have some kind of Cone though. That way they could even receive a slight buff since they become flankable.
At the moment they are just a stupid bumper that you can't run into until you shot at them long enough to kill them. If they became truly flankable then they could even see for example their range increased.

Except u cant put in pop-cap requirement on an upgrade.
But its possible to put pop cap on building alone.
Split up 2 different bunkers in Pion's option: 1 MG, 1 heal + reinforce (since they're going to merge them both anyway). Only MG bunker requires pop cap.
16 Jan 2021, 04:28 AM

Just make it Inexclusive. Both serve import but not exclusive roles. That would be enough given its price
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★