Login

russian armor

1v1 - Ostheer(top 180~) vs USF(top150~) / Need Advice

11 Jan 2021, 17:01 PM

Hey guys,

I'm the Ostheer guy in the match, I don't want to spoil the game since it's a really exciting one- a cast worthy one. However, I need some general advices about Ostheer vs USF. What are some areas of improvement for me?
And I also need some advices on some specific questions that I have,

1st: I think Ostheer is kind of hopeless against light armor fielded by USF but for teller mines.> Then there is the reality of cheap minesweepers that are rear echelons. What to do about that?

2nd: I am having quite a difficulty getting back to the field as Ostheer, after having been pushed back. It is just such a risky thing to do, you have to use MG42 offensively and pray that it suppresses in its first burst, and then spread out with the core infantry. Is there something I am doing wrong?

3rd: I feel kind of static sometimes and have the urge to push, but don't want to risk it since it's such a chore for MG42 to reposition. After the early game pios can't reliably give vision to the MG42, since they are probably busy repairing, building tech, building mines, sandbags etc. What to do with this "staticness"?
>I think pios need some love. Maybe make them more survivable? They have a huge burden on their shoulders: spotting, flaming, minesweeping, building tech buildings, buildings mines etc.

Anyways, I don't want this to belong to balance forum so, here you go, have fun guys.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.coh2.org/replay/107318/1v1-usf-vs-ostheer-vs-umirinbrah/page/1#post_id848211
16 Jan 2021, 20:03 PM

Hello my friend,

I took the time to do a live review, but the sound isn't very good, and in mono; literally haven't streamed in years so I'll only upload it if you would like to see. The biggest takeaways I can give are:

I was really impressed by the way you fought back, and for the most part you preserved your units well; however--

Your tactical ideas didn't match up with any strategic plans, for instance, there were times when you were sending off a gren squad to chase around villian's Stuart hoping to snare it without any follow up, without a way for your AT gun to catch up or for you to otherwise reliably actually kill it, so I would ask why do it? Why risk that squad? -- and I felt like that mindset was plaguing you a lot throughout this game.

At times You were trying to do too much. It's commendable to try and win across the entire map but far too often you were stretching yourself very thin and your units not only couldn't complete their objectives reliably, but they also couldn't support each other and you were getting routed immediately because you were creating weaknesses in your line trying to overextend. It's really brutal but it is true, one positional error like that can lose you the entire map as the Wehrmacht and then you're forced to counter attack uphill.

To this end I often felt like you were just attack moving randomly, particularly with your ATG's, not only without a plan but also, and where I really want to focus, no sense of positional play.

I think the most instructive instance of this was the attack/defense at around 12:40. This was a microcosm of the entire game:

You finally mounted a good attack using (almost) all of your units but you pushed your AT gun in front of your grens and blundered it. BUT THEN, since everything was lagging behind, you actually had a perfect setup a few yards behind it with everything supporting each other and covering fields of fire, it was beautiful. You need to be thinking of fighting like that. Always try to have an idea, think through what you're trying to accomplish, and then assign each of your units a job to do it....

...and then shortly afterwards, again you tried to overextend out, sending units one by one to cap more points without a plan or any support which then were forced to immediately retreat and then you lost the entire center which you fought so hard to take in less than ten seconds...

Maybe think of it from the reverse and from villian's perspective when he blundered all his armour, by force your units were stuck in your base, and ironically, in good positions,he just randomly decided to blunder all their armour into that wall; truthfully, that's how most of your attacks looked this game, except and maybe the reason you survived, it was one/maybe two units at a time.

Again, I really admired the way you stuck it out and your ability to adapt, roll with the punches and play a dynamic game, but I think you need to work a bit more on your positional play if you want to improve. I think you'll find the game a lot easier afterward; and to reiterate, use all your units to attack, try and think harder about what you're trying to achieve, is it a good idea? What do I need to do that, and how am I going to execute it?
16 Jan 2021, 21:45 PM

I've just seen this very good game against Isildur by DevM which is really instructive, it may lend some pointers about positional play, planning and being patient.

19 Jan 2021, 10:50 AM

Hello my friend,

I took the time to do a live review, but the sound isn't very good, and in mono; literally haven't streamed in years so I'll only upload it if you would like to see. The biggest takeaways I can give are:

I was really impressed by the way you fought back, and for the most part you preserved your units well; however--

Your tactical ideas didn't match up with any strategic plans, for instance, there were times when you were sending off a gren squad to chase around villian's Stuart hoping to snare it without any follow up, without a way for your AT gun to catch up or for you to otherwise reliably actually kill it, so I would ask why do it? Why risk that squad? -- and I felt like that mindset was plaguing you a lot throughout this game.

At times You were trying to do too much. It's commendable to try and win across the entire map but far too often you were stretching yourself very thin and your units not only couldn't complete their objectives reliably, but they also couldn't support each other and you were getting routed immediately because you were creating weaknesses in your line trying to overextend. It's really brutal but it is true, one positional error like that can lose you the entire map as the Wehrmacht and then you're forced to counter attack uphill.

To this end I often felt like you were just attack moving randomly, particularly with your ATG's, not only without a plan but also, and where I really want to focus, no sense of positional play.

I think the most instructive instance of this was the attack/defense at around 12:40. This was a microcosm of the entire game:

You finally mounted a good attack using (almost) all of your units but you pushed your AT gun in front of your grens and blundered it. BUT THEN, since everything was lagging behind, you actually had a perfect setup a few yards behind it with everything supporting each other and covering fields of fire, it was beautiful. You need to be thinking of fighting like that. Always try to have an idea, think through what you're trying to accomplish, and then assign each of your units a job to do it....

...and then shortly afterwards, again you tried to overextend out, sending units one by one to cap more points without a plan or any support which then were forced to immediately retreat and then you lost the entire center which you fought so hard to take in less than ten seconds...

Maybe think of it from the reverse and from villian's perspective when he blundered all his armour, by force your units were stuck in your base, and ironically, in good positions,he just randomly decided to blunder all their armour into that wall; truthfully, that's how most of your attacks looked this game, except and maybe the reason you survived, it was one/maybe two units at a time.

Again, I really admired the way you stuck it out and your ability to adapt, roll with the punches and play a dynamic game, but I think you need to work a bit more on your positional play if you want to improve. I think you'll find the game a lot easier afterward; and to reiterate, use all your units to attack, try and think harder about what you're trying to achieve, is it a good idea? What do I need to do that, and how am I going to execute it?

Oh Turbo, thanks for your great insight man! I really appreciate this... I know that I am lacking in some fundamentals just like you say, and the most important being positional awareness. Yeah,I may have won, but how? Maybe I just tired my opponent out and forced him to throw? Maybe, because I lacked greatly in some aspects as you have already covered. I will definitely watch that video, and please do share the live review, I would be more than happy to watch it. Till next time, when my positional play has improved and you'll be enjoying watching it, hahah!
Cheers man
19 Jan 2021, 21:31 PM

Oh Turbo, thanks for your great insight man! I really appreciate this... I know that I am lacking in some fundamentals just like you say, and the most important being positional awareness. Yeah,I may have won, but how? Maybe I just tired my opponent out and forced him to throw? Maybe, because I lacked greatly in some aspects as you have already covered. I will definitely watch that video, and please do share the live review, I would be more than happy to watch it. Till next time, when my positional play has improved and you'll be enjoying watching it, hahah!
Cheers man

I'm glad you took something away from it. If you would like another game reviewed it's something I really like to do and would be glad to look at whatever you come up with. I especially like when people are leaving notes and being thoughtful about their game, makes a nice change instead of arguing over balance strawmans.

Begins at 2:59ish

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/876059317

Just watching through it one more time as well, like maybe to hammer the point home; at 19:00 when you went full send with your PiV, charging it vaguely toward the stuart there where there were so many threats that you "should" have ran into, remember villain had 2 AtG's earlier, imagine if they were there, or what would happen if we hit a mine or got snared, the game could have ended ~20:00 off a blunder like that alone. Better opponents are preparing those kind of traps and furthermore, spectating the game I predicted you were going to do that, that's also what great players do-- they exploit the metagame by observing their opponents tendencies and --how-- they play, that's like super super high level but just bear in mind if you want to really bring your game to the next level it's something you have to consider. Maybe for now just realise that those are the kind of mistakes you need to eliminate playing as Wehr and it's a pretty easy fix, they come from just thinking more about strategy, what do I need to be accomplishing, and then coming up with the highest% idea to do that, and marrying that up with winning tactics-- and then of course executing lol, but I think the focus needs to lie on just being a little more thoughtful about your play.

I almost unfortunately missed the brilliant winning tactic with, I'm not sure if you frag bombed his Sherman or Jackson, but that moment won you the game. That was wonderful to watch back and I'm upset I missed it in real time. As I say, you're clearly a talented player able to recognise winning tactics and execute them you just need to combine your strategic thought so that you're creating positions where you can employ those tactics.
20 Jan 2021, 03:58 AM

Just want to point out your talking was too quiet compared to game sound + music. So was hard to hear what you were saying when replay was going. Do recommend making music mute next time. Just checked for fun this 1v1 match.
20 Jan 2021, 05:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2021, 03:58 AMThamor
Just want to point out your talking was too quiet compared to game sound + music. So was hard to hear what you were saying when replay was going. Do recommend making music mute next time. Just checked for fun this 1v1 match.

Yeah, entirely agree, and it was in mono. I neglected to originally post the review 'cos I was ashamed by the production values but OP convinced me that perhaps the information was useful, something I say in my original reply.

My other two reviews, and if I do anymore in the future, I've been surprised how dead this section is-- are much better for that.
20 Jan 2021, 13:37 PM

I'm glad you took something away from it. If you would like another game reviewed it's something I really like to do and would be glad to look at whatever you come up with. I especially like when people are leaving notes and being thoughtful about their game, makes a nice change instead of arguing over balance strawmans.

Begins at 2:59ish

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/876059317

Just watching through it one more time as well, like maybe to hammer the point home; at 19:00 when you went full send with your PiV, charging it vaguely toward the stuart there where there were so many threats that you "should" have ran into, remember villain had 2 AtG's earlier, imagine if they were there, or what would happen if we hit a mine or got snared, the game could have ended ~20:00 off a blunder like that alone. Better opponents are preparing those kind of traps and furthermore, spectating the game I predicted you were going to do that, that's also what great players do-- they exploit the metagame by observing their opponents tendencies and --how-- they play, that's like super super high level but just bear in mind if you want to really bring your game to the next level it's something you have to consider. Maybe for now just realise that those are the kind of mistakes you need to eliminate playing as Wehr and it's a pretty easy fix, they come from just thinking more about strategy, what do I need to be accomplishing, and then coming up with the highest% idea to do that, and marrying that up with winning tactics-- and then of course executing lol, but I think the focus needs to lie on just being a little more thoughtful about your play.

I almost unfortunately missed the brilliant winning tactic with, I'm not sure if you frag bombed his Sherman or Jackson, but that moment won you the game. That was wonderful to watch back and I'm upset I missed it in real time. As I say, you're clearly a talented player able to recognise winning tactics and execute them you just need to combine your strategic thought so that you're creating positions where you can employ those tactics.

On point review man, it was great learning my mistakes. Thanks again for your great effort and invaluabe insight.
By the way, the game winning move was probably the fragmentation on sherman crew, and maybe two teller mines that crippled his army when he threw his armor at me, as you have already pointed out. Positional awareness! Those are the magical words for me now!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 92
unknown 53
unknown 10
United States 7

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %