Login

russian armor

RNG

PAGES (7)down
23 Dec 2020, 19:16 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Making this quick and shouting the people who were discussing in the balance thread, in order to continue here.

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2020, 18:46 PMGrumpy
---
jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2020, 21:41 PMPip
---
jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2020, 23:19 PMKatitof

Feel free to copy any of the post from the previous thread and suggest any better title.
23 Dec 2020, 19:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2020, 08:36 AMVipper
About RNG:
It seem a number of people do not like RNG and have connected it "bad" events.

People complain about "abandoned tanks", "main guns destroyed" and even about tanks missing or failing to penetrate.

On the other hand I have not seen so many people complain when their tank hits four times in row with 70% probability to hit or when their tank penetrates four times in row with 60% chance to penetrate.

That imo create a negative feeling associated with RNG. COH is game with RNG and imo that is part of its beauty.

Having airplane crushes wipe whole armies as it used to be is bad design and the decision to lower the damage was a good one.

On the other hand having plane crushes cause no damage as it is now in the patch preview is something I personally do not like either.
23 Dec 2020, 23:46 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

To be clear Angelus main gun crits and other "bad" RNG (main gun crit in this example) should definitly be an option in casual matches or campaign, but it has no business in ladder.

Anyone who doesnt understand the real problem with some of the "bad" RNG (main gun crits, planes randomly wiping squads, etc.) in COH ladder specifically need to read and understand this portion of the article (below) in its entirety. I quoted direct from it in this thread to make it easier for everyone.

Sourced by my article: https://www.coh2.org/news/87123/company-of-heroes-3-with-whiteflash-addendum

The RNG Dilemma

I have to now talk about something in detail so everyone can fully appreciate where I'm trying to take you because, in a lot of ways, it is a part of the soul of COH and this has to be thought about carefully. I'm talking about the chance interactions that are built into every single match. I will refer to this as RNG. It is a massive part of COH, and should remain so. As far as artillery strikes, mortars, and infantry firing at each other, etc., it makes a ton of realistic and gameplay sense to maintain the RNG in many cases.

In other cases, this RNG normality starts to break down. The examples I'm about to give aren't intended to be the norm, but they happen often enough that every single person who has played Company of Heroes has had something like this happen to them. The example below is double snipers in perfect positioning to ambush an enemy sniper. The player has been patiently awaiting the enemy to come into a well prepared kill zone. And then... this happens...

The sniper gets away and what should be a tactical victory turns into a fail and potentially you will lose a sniper or worse. Now you could say, "well it happens to both sides occasionally so its OK" but that doesn't make a difference in a single game. In a single game where advancing in a ladder, or keeping a winning streak going, or competing when there is huge amounts of money on the line, or just trying to enjoy the game... it's flawed. You can't have situations where players do every single thing right in tactical situations and lose. You're removing a key element, fun, from the game. It doesn't work. It breaks the spirit of many players to come back and enjoy the game. It's objectively wrong design when we look at this specific example.

Another specific example, is an antitank gun vs a tank at close range. We have a very impactful tank, the T-34/85, and a Pak designed to counter tanks. The player with the pak sees the weakened tank, the tank player isn't microing after a battle and leaves his tank exposed, the pak player correctly moves his AT gun into position and at a very close range...

But the Pak misses and the tank escapes. The Pak player did everything tactically correct and the satisfaction, payoff, reward, whatever you want to call it has been stripped from that player. This inherently doesn't make sense.

RNG Solutions

Now, I can hear everyone saying, "you better not talk about removing RNG from COH!" and I'm 100% in agreement. What I'm driving at is the unreasonable over-impactful low chance randomness has to be curbed to everyone's benefit. I want to say that again, the unreasonable over-impactful low chance randomness is the problem here. It's not the RNG in general that is the problem. The problem is that in these highly impactful moments there aren't clear lines. There are very likely many solutions to this, two of which I will illustrate. To be clear all this discussion on this one area of the game (close range AT RNG) is to illuminate the rougher edges of COH so that it can drive towards a flourishing ladder and be one step closer to the "made by jesus" asymptote. Relic will indeed have to analyze and thoroughly test every aspect of the game much deeper than this to arrive at what makes the most sense. And, in general, I will again point to the original COH1 factions design and what made them so compelling and reciprocal.

To highlight my point here, imagine if you were one of the North America’s most successful and well-known Esports players like Huk (who got frustrated with COH and left for SCII) and you miss an AT gun shot at close range on a last shot on a vehicle that wins or loses the game. And, it's for tens of thousands of dollars... that is the breaking point for a lot of people who consider themselves pros and would want to get into a game like this in a serious competitive way. The thing is... the COH mechanics are compelling and amazing so they would be interested. But if the difference is a dice roll, like a close range AT gun shooting a tank, and it misses, that just won't work in a competitive environment. The high impact units is where this matters. However, if it takes 30 shots to kill a unit it's OK and actually desirable to have random chance mixed in there because the impact of missing a single shot is much lower, but if an AT gun takes 3 shots to kill a tank and it misses the last shot at point blank range, it can be a deal breaker. I got a chance to have Huk look at this specific paragraph and he commented.

"For argument sake I think chance in games is good, but obviously to the degree they have it is bad, your example being good."
Huk

Image credit to Dustin Steiner

I would even suggest Relic and/or SEGA temporarily employ some of these RTS pros and take advantage of their deep RTS knowledge, experience, passion and perspectives. They could be called upon during certain stages of the development cycle and may be a valuable asset which would potentially benefit everyone.

As it stands, units that get closer to other units have an increased chance to hit, which means the edge case of missing at close range is all the more frustrating when it does happen. In this specific case, I will be talking about AT guns only, but this can apply to snipers, tank vs tank battles and any high impact unit. Artillery among other things doesn't apply here as stated before, each unit has to be looked at and individually calibrated. One solution to AT guns could be to layer a system that basically says, if an enemy tank is within (I'm using 50% here but pick any close range number) 50% of the max range of the gun then the AT gun will hit 100% of the time. This will remove edge cases. And players, knowing that they will have 100% chance to hit at certain ranges, will play differently in specific tactical situations because they will benefit from this 100% zone on the AT guns.

Another important improvement from this is that when an AT gun misses a kill shot at long range, they will know that they COULD have changed their tactics and positioned their AT gun close enough to have a 100% chance to hit, and thus, there is rational to the miss. The ability for players to rationalize these kinds of impactful moments are critical, especially to new players. In other words, I could have increased the risk for reward but it essentially is, on some level, my fault that it missed because I wasn't willing to take the risk to get closer. This is a far cry psychologically from an AT gun missing a kill on a tank at point blank after having done everything right then the player says "well it didn't matter WHAT I did I was never going to get that kill". That kind of helpless disillusionment is dangerous for the health of the game, the competitive spirit, and the community. Many of the hardcore fan base simply accept that this is part of the game, with AT guns in this example, but it is unnecessary and is one of the needless rough edges of the game.

Another potential solution is to change AT guns so as shots miss, the next shot chance increases. The target would have a timer attached to it that increases the chance to be hit by any other AT gun in a cumulative manner until the timer expires. This would reduce some of the unreasonable over-impactful low chance randomness but in a different way. You could have a modifier specific to both the target and the shooter or maybe just a modifier on the target if you dodged a tank shot in the last x seconds, the next one has a higher chance to land, something along these lines. Or perhaps some combination of both solutions would be best, or something totally novel! This is where thorough testing and a keen sense of game mechanics will reveal what is best.

A good example of a gameplay element that is impactful and has well defined lines built into the mechanic is the way that you fire a panzerfaust or AT grenade at a vehicle. The vehicle goes inside the range circle, the player takes the risk of getting close to the vehicle to obtain the reward of killing or snaring the vehicle, the player clicks the vehicle to faust and regardless of how far away the targeted vehicle gets after the action is taken the faust lands 100%. There is a tactical satisfaction that comes with knowing you did the right thing and you get the payoff, conversely the player with the tank knows he messed up because he got into range of the faust and the vehicle getting hit is his fault. There are clear lines for the players and that's important. Other elements that follow this trend where a player knows a game element will act a certain way is when a teller mines hits a vehicle or a smoke grenade conceals an area or when a flame grenade damages infantry in a building.

Please keep in mind I'm giving specific examples and solutions, but they are only examples, and the solutions presented have no testing or data to back up whether or not they would work. I'm trying to illustrate the rough edges that COH presents and providing a possible concept to address them. Much more work than this will have to be done for a new game. The meat of COH, the fundamental mechanics, are so strong that with thorough design, testing and analysis Relic can knock COH3 out of the park. All of this "edge case" discussion is, to get back on topic, part of refining fundamental game subtleties to propel the competitive scene, get players interested in the franchise, and satisfy players to the point where they want to stay. Especially new players.
23 Dec 2020, 23:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Dow3 was an esport attempt. They took out retreat and vet as well i believe. The took out cover and added shield bubbles on fixed locations that you had to cap.
I also find it telling that to my knolledge no esports rts has retreat as in coh. If there is please tell me i am wrong.

I remain adament that a game with this amount of rng even without mgc planes crashing on squads is to much chance to be an actractive title for esports.

I meant that cheaters are not as prominant, i havent noticed any myself.

No 2 games need to have the same mechanics. As far as "retreat" goes:

SC2:
Protoss have both recall in their HQ and their capital mothership.

WC3:
All races start with a "scroll" which makes the hero invulnerable and retreats all surrounding units back to a base. They can buy this at their own buildable shop or the ones spread around the map. From which they can also buy a rod of teleportation for their heroes only.
2 races has unique rod which let's them "retreat" units back to their bases as well. One simple retreats them back and the other puts the unit on a "stasis" and regens health.
24 Dec 2020, 00:09 AM

I disagree, that certain rng events should be removed from ladder -> like main gun crits. Reworking thresholds could be discussed.

For tournaments -> certain mods can get rid of some bad Rng events.

Imo bad rng is something that was introduced in coh2, that made the game even more spiecy. Getting rid of it would be a step back.
24 Dec 2020, 00:20 AM

Whiteflash's article has a point, RNG is fine as long as it isnt rare AND extremely impactful AND unmitigatable.

The 20% threshold change means in current meta, MGC only happens when a secondary weak AT source is included (almost all but the SU76 are infantry weapons).

That makes MGC non-existent in ranged tank-vs-tank slugfests, so controllable RNG.
24 Dec 2020, 01:39 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

RNG is fine as long as it isnt rare AND extremely impactful AND unmitigatable.

This
24 Dec 2020, 01:50 AM

To highlight my point here, imagine if you were one of the North America’s most successful and well-known Esports players like Huk (who got frustrated with COH and left for SCII) and you miss an AT gun shot at close range on a last shot on a vehicle that wins or loses the game. And, it's for tens of thousands of dollars... that is the breaking point for a lot of people who consider themselves pros and would want to get into a game like this in a serious competitive way

Solution is to stick to playing SC2.

I have no pity if 'pro' esporters lose ten grands in Coh2 due to rng. You know the deal, deal with it.

I like coh rng as rng. Why should I care if someone else loses money, who are already sponsored, when I myself bought the game with my own money

Stop worshipping e-sporters too.
24 Dec 2020, 01:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2020, 19:20 PMVipper

Wow the preview patch made zero plan crash damage? Wtf thought it was reduced not remove.

It's totally retarded, I hope relic veto it. Mod team is too much pivoting to the 1% tourny players
24 Dec 2020, 03:03 AM

Imo we should stop concerned with what esports think, what other esports titles do, yearning to move coh closer to mirror units, mirror maps, 100% deterministic outcomes, clicky apm low ttk. Just another 'competitive' rts of yawn

Most of us here bought play the game for flavours, most of us aren't going to be esporters.

In fact, I expect if you survey the thousands out there still playing coh2, to give up rng for bland out comes, who will agree in it?

Fact is the thousands still playing this obscure 'rng' game for years, say a lot!

Dow 3 flopping says a lot!

In fact making plane crashes do zero damage is a betrayal to the larger fan base, pandering to a few tens of 'pro' players. Yawn. Veto it relic!
Pip
24 Dec 2020, 03:26 AM

Balancing from the top down, and "Catering" to higher skilled players is the best way to develop a game.
24 Dec 2020, 03:37 AM

Nope, best way to balance a game is mirror units and maps without rng.

But err..oook
24 Dec 2020, 04:07 AM

SC2:

WC3:
All races start with a "scroll" which makes the hero invulnerable and retreats all surrounding units back to a base. They can buy this at their own buildable shop or the ones spread around the map. From which they can also buy a rod of teleportation for their heroes only.
2 races has unique rod which let's them "retreat" units back to their bases as well. One simple retreats them back and the other puts the unit on a "stasis" and regens health.

It would be nice to start with a 350mp "scroll" like in WC3. You could just teleport out when you pick a bad engagement. But this is COH, so they would probably implement a teleport crit where there is a 10% chance that your units go on vacation after teleporting home.

IIRC, WC3 has RNG for damage. The biggest difference is that COH does it on the hit, so it's all or nothing which people notice a lot more than a small variation in damage.

I had some great RNG today, so today would vote against any change. I had somebody dive on my wounded Panther with two full health Comets. I don't think my Panther or pak40 bounced anything, but he had at least 2 bounces when the Panther had just a sliver of health. Then one of the Comets abandoned and the other had to retreat......No dead Panther and a free Comet....... Map chat got really salty after that.
24 Dec 2020, 07:13 AM

SC2:

WC3:

Indeed no to games need the same mechanics for retreat. But i fear this may happen with such abilities. What i have seen in in esports rts games retreat is mass teleport as a abilitie for 1 maybe 2 units/heroes.

In both cases of wc3 and sc2 this is a "mass" teleport? Wc3 is ages ago for me and havent played sc2. In coh and dow2 its per inf squad ofc, for dow3 they said this retreat is basicly wrong cuz the kill/wipe was deserved and robs players of a deserved wipe or kill.

To me this is an indication that coh as it is designed wont do well in esports, they changed dow 3 really drasticly in their attempt to appeal the esports crowd.
24 Dec 2020, 07:19 AM

Plane crash damage is effectively removed, I think the nerf is excessive.

As shown by Tightrope:https://youtu.be/PwiVqcj1tIU?t=353
24 Dec 2020, 08:04 AM

Plane crash damage is effectively removed, I think the nerf is excessive.

As shown by Tightrope:https://youtu.be/PwiVqcj1tIU?t=353

Agree 100%.

Stop this madness! Give us back kamikaze damages!
24 Dec 2020, 09:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2020, 03:26 AMPip
Balancing from the top down, and "Catering" to higher skilled players is the best way to develop a game.

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2020, 03:37 AMmrgame2
Nope, best way to balance a game is mirror units and maps without rng.

But err..oook

Both of these statements are somewhat correct.

If we take the most competitive RTS games right now, those being Starcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2 (DE) you can view both there.

While StarCraft is asymmetrically designed it has basically 0 RNG and of course it's balanced according to the top "pros".

However that makes it largely difficult for more casual people to enjoy the game I would say and most are reduced to treating it like it's European football/soccer where you stare at a screen yelling for your favorite guy not to lose and screaming like a retard when he makes a mistake.

In Age of Empires 2 (And I am specifically talking about the Definitive Edition here because most of the community has migrated over to it due to it's better graphics, improvements and continued support) the civilizations are somewhat mirrored with some minor differences with unique techs, buildings and units which in my opinion works best.

Again of course the game is balanced according to the top players, however there is also room for the casual people and I would say this is why the game is proving to be so popular to both camps. Plus I also believe it has somewhat of an RNG presence simply because not all shots hit their targets like in StarCraft and units are not exactly robots that instantly take orders and turn on a dime and so forth but I would also say that makes the game feel more "alive" and "natural" rather than the almost perfect movement and response of units in SC. And like in that game units don't shoot on the move either.

I personally think that CoH should do the same, as in have somewhat symmetrical design for it's Armies with little quarks for each while keeping the balance asymmetrical and balanced from the top down.

Because right now it feels like it's heavily geared towards competitive play and the casual people which are a bigger part of the community feel left out.

I also believe that the player numbers and statistics speak for themselves:

https://steamdb.info/app/813780/

https://steamdb.info/app/231430/
24 Dec 2020, 11:34 AM

Removing RNG from COH2 is like removing randomness from poker, just sit back and enjoy the fireworks bro :romeoPro:
24 Dec 2020, 12:44 PM

I think ideally RNG would be split three ways:

- regular RNG like accuracy. Same as now. This is what makes the series truly stand out;
- irregular RNG like main gun critical or plane crashes. These should be available in automatch, but they should be less impactful. For example MGC could give an accuracy penalty rather than completely destroying the gun, or plane crashes could be hardcapped to never kill entire squads;
- Esports mode that removes all irregular RNG for tournaments.

Because right now it feels like it's heavily geared towards competitive play and the casual people which are a bigger part of the community feel left out.

I also believe that the player numbers and statistics speak for themselves:

https://steamdb.info/app/813780/

https://steamdb.info/app/231430/

If that were true, we would see a decline in player numbers over the past years as the game has become more competitively focused. However, the opposite has happened; the playerbase has been growing. The player numbers themselves don't tell us anything without deeper research.
24 Dec 2020, 12:49 PM
Modmaker Badge

There's an alternative to "hit or miss, penetrate or not" of Company of Heroes and "always hit for damage minus resistances" of many other games.

Weapons would still have accuracy and penetration values, and units would still have target size (i.e. received accuracy) and armour values. When a shot is fired, it will always connect with its target, but the damage dealt would be multiplied by chance to hit and chance to penetrate. For example, your gun deals 100 damage and has 100 penetration and 0,75 accuracy. Your target has 120 armour and size 0,90. Effective damage dealt would be:

Damage * (Penetration/Armour) * (Accuracy * Target size) = Effective Damage
100 * (100/120) * (0,75 * 0,9) = 56.25

Taking into account that all of those values are affected by other conditions (distance from target, movement of the target/shooter, frontal/rear armour) and expanding range definition with a continuous function instead of just close/mid/far for additional variety, no two games would play the same despite effectively removing randomness. In this system positioning would be paramount, even more so than in current CoH2 implementation. Few meters would be the difference between losing a tank or it surviving with a sliver of health.

And yes, it wouldn't be very realistic and misses have cinematic charm to them, but with proper effects it would look just as good to the viewer (e.g. huge particle explosion and tank rocking when it receives hefty damage, rounds bouncing off armour like in CoH1 when the penetration is very low).
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight