Login

russian armor

Why aren't there team game tournaments?

24 Nov 2020, 01:45 AM

Why doesn't this game have more 2v2+ tournaments? Balance issues? Maps suck?
24 Nov 2020, 02:00 AM
Senior Editor Badge

I can't speak directly to this, but if you are interested in running a tournament, that's something that can be done! You could talk to still active organizers of previous 2v2s for support, advice, or perhaps even a partnership.

It's also much more difficult for casters to catch the action of four players rather than just two. And there might be another issue re: funds, where having a prizepool may attract more players, but rewards would be cut in half for each individual in a 2v2 format.
24 Nov 2020, 04:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2020, 01:45 AMSpoof
Why doesn't this game have more 2v2+ tournaments? Balance issues? Maps suck?

I would agree with GBpirate, a 1v1 tourney is probably much easier to organize and fund. 1v1 is also considered the main game mode. The 2v2 map pool is also a little underwhelming right now (may change when the patch hits).

With that said, the last 1v1 tourney was a snoozer because of the meta commander choices. So right now a 2v2 tourney would be great since we could possibly see 4-8 different meta commanders as opposed to 2 meta commanders.
24 Nov 2020, 07:37 AM

I would say apart from Currahee and Olvadi who really trust 2v2 potential nobody care that much.
"1v1 is also considered the main game mode" you're right, but why? what makes it so special?
When we compare to some bigger competitive games like age2 what i see is that most of tourneys are a mix: there's 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and even 4v4 all togheter.
Casters have no problem to catch actions on 4v4 too even if i understand it's easier to lose some actions though.

Dont take me wrong: 1v1 is good, i would like only to see more love in 2v2 as well.

Whatching other rts that already made the big step to competitive scene would help a lot. There're so many ideas from Hidden Cup to, as i said, mix tourneys.

P.S let's hope this map patch gonna bring some adjusdment to 2v2 map pool
24 Nov 2020, 16:52 PM

I would say apart from Currahee and Olvadi who really trust 2v2 potential nobody care that much.
"1v1 is also considered the main game mode" you're right, but why? what makes it so special?
When we compare to some bigger competitive games like age2 what i see is that most of tourneys are a mix: there's 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and even 4v4 all togheter.
Casters have no problem to catch actions on 4v4 too even if i understand it's easier to lose some actions though.

Dont take me wrong: 1v1 is good, i would like only to see more love in 2v2 as well.
Whatching other rts that already made the big step to competitive scene would help a lot. There're so many ideas from Hidden Cup to, as i said, mix tourneys.

+1
I enjoy the 1v1 tourneys but the mode is also the least popular mode in the community. I would agree that we should have more team tourneys.
What I would like to see:
A CoH Ryder Cup
- 2 (or 4) Team captains chosen by the community / organizers
- captains can select players for their teams
- All game modes are played in the tourney: 3 1v1, 2 2v2, 1 3v3 match, 1 4v4
- for every won match the team get a point
- players can only play 1 game mode
I think this could bring a lot more excitement for the community: Team captains had to decide who they pick and in which game mode the players have to play. Team chemistry would also be important. And all game modes would be represented not only one.
24 Nov 2020, 17:47 PM

We had plenty of 2v2 tournaments in the past.

1v1 is actually not the "main gamemode" as suggested in this thread if you look at the playerbase. 1v1 is by far the least played game mode.
24 Nov 2020, 17:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2020, 16:52 PMSmartie

A CoH Ryder Cup
I think this could bring a lot more excitement for the community: Team captains had to decide who they pick and in which game mode the players have to play. Team chemistry would also be important. And all game modes would be represented not only one.

Thank would be cool yeah.
24 Nov 2020, 18:17 PM

+1
I enjoy the 1v1 tourneys but the mode is also the least popular mode in the community. I would agree that we should have more team tourneys.
A CoH Ryder Cup

Something like this happened before. I forgot the name of the event tho. Must've been 2014-2015. I was forced to play 4v4 with a complete shit pc because one of our 4v4 guys couldn't play. 10 fps in a tourney game was amazing. :D

Edit: I remember our opponents clan was called something with Go... if that helps finding the event.
24 Nov 2020, 20:29 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Outside of more complex logistics which have to do with outside the game, i think the most the game can hold is up to 2v2. We had 3v3/4v4 tournaments in the past but they were pretty much underwhelming.

It's funny that you bring AOE2, cause i think it's the only game which scales perfectly regardless of amount of players you add to it.

In order from best to worst, RTS with an "alive" comp scene with do fine in teamgames are AOE2 > COH2 > WC3 > SC2.

The fact that i think we have the smallest community/amount of players doesn't help either.

24 Nov 2020, 20:46 PM

There is also the fact that 3v3+ modes drop fps hard as the game progresses. Not only is the game intel optimized, it's piss poor optimized. I'm getting better FPS on a much weaker system than my main one. It would be a mess playing it. Unless the players themselves had great machines, one would always be at a disadvantage because of it. Can't really be competitive if your FPS is 20.
24 Nov 2020, 20:56 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

It will be nice to hear for OP that I know of something coming in this regard. MrSaipan is hosting another 3v3 tournament. Announcement coming soon :)
24 Nov 2020, 21:29 PM

It will be nice to hear for OP that I know of something coming in this regard. MrSaipan is hosting another 3v3 tournament. Announcement coming soon :)

Good to hear. I will look forward to this event.
24 Nov 2020, 21:51 PM

i can only talk about 2vs2 tho. 2vs2. The problem that isee its hard for the smaller ones to promote our events. Like i host 2vs2 showmatches every now and then to test new 2vs2 maps and give teams a way to show their skil but like i said its hard to promote your event if its not a big tourney cause a huge post doesnt make sense for a 50 bucks showmatch.
25 Nov 2020, 05:36 AM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2020, 21:51 PMOlvadi
i can only talk about 2vs2 tho. 2vs2. The problem that isee its hard for the smaller ones to promote our events. Like i host 2vs2 showmatches every now and then to test new 2vs2 maps and give teams a way to show their skil but like i said its hard to promote your event if its not a big tourney cause a huge post doesnt make sense for a 50 bucks showmatch.

Hey man, if you want to make some kind of long-running event/league, a YouTube series, etc., I'd be more than happy to write some kind of promo piece for it on .org. I could draft up a social media post you could send around too on the official forums, Steam forums, and Reddit.
25 Nov 2020, 10:37 AM

+1
A CoH Ryder Cup

Indeed this tourney look fun though!
We should not forget abut Hidden Cup

that could bring more interacts by viewers since players are playing under "fake" names .

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2020, 21:51 PMOlvadi

Well actually ur showmatches are going live since months so it might be more like a series and for sure having some media post might gonna help. :thumb:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 41
Germany 30
Germany 81
Israel 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %