Login

russian armor

Cover Mechanic Questions

14 Nov 2020, 00:28 AM

Hello,

In terms of cover, I had a few questions and will go from broad to more specific.

I have seen Youtube videos from tightrope gaming that explain cover in-depth, but is this confirmed to be true? I also had some confusion in some of the cover mechanics and what it means.

According to his video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkDhwSaDOBA)

Cover Damage Chance To Hit
-----------------------------------------------
Green 50% 50%
Yellow cover 100% 50%
Neutral 100% 100%
Red cover 125% 125%

Is this accurate and confirmed? I know there are some exceptions in terms of flame damage I think.

One thing that confused me was how he mentions close quarters combat negates green cover or building covering? He said it is negated within the 10 range, which is important info for close quarter units like shocks, panzergrenadiers, and assault engineers. Does this apply to yellow cover as well?

Now for more specific questions.

Do units in yellow cover get the 50% change to miss even when it comes to tank shells?

And, since it is a bit of rng, is having one unit in yellow cover vs. 2 in, say, neutral cover worth sticking out in case rng nets you more kills than losses, or is this a typical instaretreat situation?
14 Nov 2020, 02:08 AM

Is this accurate and confirmed? I know there are some exceptions in terms of flame damage I think.

For most small arms it's correct, on this site you can check cover modifiers for any weapon: https://coh2.serealia.ca/

One thing that confused me was how he mentions close quarters combat negates green cover or building covering? He said it is negated within the 10 range, which is important info for close quarter units like shocks, panzergrenadiers, and assault engineers. Does this apply to yellow cover as well?

Yellow and green cover get negated within 10 range, but NOT garrison cover.

It's important to note that 'negated' cover at close range will turn into neutral cover and not just stop existing. So if opponent made a sandbag made on a red cover road, he won't suddenly be getting a red cover penalty once you've closed in on the opposite side.

Do units in yellow cover get the 50% change to miss even when it comes to tank shells?

Tank shells against infantry mostly rely on scatter, not on accuracy, so it won't help much.

Infantry models have a target size around 1, while vehicles have a target size between 15 and 26. This target size gets multiplied with the accuracy value of a gun at a certain range. Because tanks have low accuracy compared to small arms, they only have around 2 to 8% chance to directly snipe a model (if it doesn't, it becomes a scatter shot). With yellow cover you'd reduce this small snipe chance by halve.

You could make a case for using yellow cover against vehicles with shitty AoE that rely on sniping to kill models. Think of the Puma, AEC, Stug and similar AT vehicles.

And, since it is a bit of rng, is having one unit in yellow cover vs. 2 in, say, neutral cover worth sticking out in case rng nets you more kills than losses, or is this a typical instaretreat situation?

Let's say each model does 16 damage and has 80 hp:

- You have 1 model that does 16 damage and has 80/0.5 = 160 effective hp cause of yellow cover.
- Opponent has 2 models that do 2x16 = 32 damage and has has 2x80 = 160 hp.

You're still at a disadvantage cause your opponent can dish out more damage. However, while you might not be able to win, you might be able to drop one of his models before you have to retreat with some luck.
14 Nov 2020, 19:10 PM

For most small arms it's correct, on this site you can check cover modifiers for any weapon: https://coh2.serealia.ca/

Yellow and green cover get negated within 10 range, but NOT garrison cover.

It's important to note that 'negated' cover at close range will turn into neutral cover and not just stop existing. So if opponent made a sandbag made on a red cover road, he won't suddenly be getting a red cover penalty once you've closed in on the opposite side.

Tank shells against infantry mostly rely on scatter, not on accuracy, so it won't help much.

Infantry models have a target size around 1, while vehicles have a target size between 15 and 26. This target size gets multiplied with the accuracy value of a gun at a certain range. Because tanks have low accuracy compared to small arms, they only have around 2 to 8% chance to directly snipe a model (if it doesn't, it becomes a scatter shot). With yellow cover you'd reduce this small snipe chance by halve.

You could make a case for using yellow cover against vehicles with shitty AoE that rely on sniping to kill models. Think of the Puma, AEC, Stug and similar AT vehicles.

Let's say each model does 16 damage and has 80 hp:

- You have 1 model that does 16 damage and has 80/0.5 = 160 effective hp cause of yellow cover.
- Opponent has 2 models that do 2x16 = 32 damage and has has 2x80 = 160 hp.

You're still at a disadvantage cause your opponent can dish out more damage. However, while you might not be able to win, you might be able to drop one of his models before you have to retreat with some luck.

Very interesting. I haven't seen that link before. I tried figuring out using the interface. If I am using this correctly, it looks like conscripts essentially lose to grenadiers at volks at all ranges, penals and riflemen have to be closer out DPS grens/voks, and does the DPS for infantry sections account for the cover bonus they get for increased damage? I guess the cover modifier is how much DPS that unit can do to a unit in whatever cover you choose? Please let me know if I am wrong on how I am reading this.

Okay, I usually try to do the whole "kill at least one model before retreating" thing behind green cover, but not typically with yellow cover. Thank you for breaking that down for me.
14 Nov 2020, 20:47 PM

If I am using this correctly, it looks like conscripts essentially lose to grenadiers at volks at all ranges, penals and riflemen have to be closer out DPS grens/volks

The information is displayed per model and per weapon, so it's not easy to compare whole squads with each other.

It does give a good general indication of how to use a squad tho:
Conscripts, Volks and Grens all have a similar dps curve without upgrades, so they're decent at all ranges. Sections have a really flat dps curve, so they're best used at long range. Penals and especially Rifles have a bumb at short range, so you should using them at close/mid range.

does the DPS for infantry sections account for the cover bonus they get for increased damage?

Yes, actually in cover they have their normal dps, while outside of cover they get some slight debuffs.

I guess the cover modifier is how much DPS that unit can do to a unit in whatever cover you choose?

Yes.

Having 50% less accuracy against a target translates almost directly into doing 50% less dps (for small arms at least).

Doing 50% less damage against a target also usually translates into doing 50% less dps (for all weapons).
Pip
17 Nov 2020, 00:17 AM

Somewhat unrelated, but Building cover is slightly worse than Green Cover, in exchange for it's inability to be flanked/negated. It's somewhere in the realm of units having a 45% reduction in RA, rather than 50%.

Building cover has its own idiosyncrasies when it comes to damage calculations though. I'm afraid I don't have the precise figures here, but Tank Shells, Mortars, Grenades, and Flamers have special multipliers for building users, as far as i know. The way damage to models is calculated is a little different, too.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight