Login

russian armor

Team Weapon Cover Advice

14 Nov 2020, 00:20 AM

Hello,

Is it ever really worth putting team weapons in green or yellow cover, or is it too big of a risk for clumping and squad wipes from grenades?

I usually do not put them in cover and prefer they stay spread out, but I wonder if using cover is more logical and effective for keeping team crews alive and getting them more veterancy over the course of a match?

Maybe people only use green cover and not yellow cover due to explosive doing full damage to squads in yellow cover?

Bonus question, when AT guns are set up, do they get a green cover bonus? I heard people say this, but I never really noticed during matches.
14 Nov 2020, 02:14 AM

Hello,

Is it ever really worth putting team weapons in green or yellow cover, or is it too big of a risk for clumping and squad wipes from grenades?

I usually do not put them in cover and prefer they stay spread out, but I wonder if using cover is more logical and effective for keeping team crews alive and getting them more veterancy over the course of a match?

Maybe people only use green cover and not yellow cover due to explosive doing full damage to squads in yellow cover?

Bonus question, when AT guns are set up, do they get a green cover bonus? I heard people say this, but I never really noticed during matches.

I'd say it's never worth it to have a mortar crew clump up. When it comes to MG crews I'd say most of the time yellow cover is not worth it. There could be exceptions like an opponent who blobs high dps infantry frontally into the mg but against a regular player I think spreading out should be prioritized over yellow cover.

Green cover I feel like I can't make general statments about. Depends on the position/army compositions.
14 Nov 2020, 02:36 AM

It depends:

Is your HMG screened by squads in front of it? No cover might suffice.

Does your HMG have to cover a part of the map alone? Green cover becomes very valuable here, especially if opponent sends a blob. Green cover not only gives much greater survivability but also mitigates the effect of deathloop where the gunner get continually sniped.

Is it early game? Clumpy yellow cover could work as there isn't much risk of nades or other explosives yet. Otherwise it should be avoided.

Does opponent have rocket arty? Green cover becomes a bad idea cause rocket arty has full damage against green cover. There are also other units that are strong against green cover like flamethrowers or AVRE.

Yellow cover from craters is almost always a good idea because it doesn't tend to let squads clump up, unlike most natural yellow cover.

The green cover bonus on gunshields is strange and you shouldn't rely on it. It only works from certain angles in certain cases.
14 Nov 2020, 18:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Nov 2020, 02:14 AMGiaA

I'd say it's never worth it to have a mortar crew clump up. When it comes to MG crews I'd say most of the time yellow cover is not worth it. There could be exceptions like an opponent who blobs high dps infantry frontally into the mg but against a regular player I think spreading out should be prioritized over yellow cover.

Green cover I feel like I can't make general statments about. Depends on the position/army compositions.

Okay, I'm glad I am not the only one who felt this way about using cover when it comes to team weapons.

Thank you.
14 Nov 2020, 18:19 PM

It depends:

Is your HMG screened by squads in front of it? No cover might suffice.

Does your HMG have to cover a part of the map alone? Green cover becomes very valuable here, especially if opponent sends a blob. Green cover not only gives much greater survivability but also mitigates the effect of deathloop where the gunner get continually sniped.

Is it early game? Clumpy yellow cover could work as there isn't much risk of nades or other explosives yet. Otherwise it should be avoided.

Does opponent have rocket arty? Green cover becomes a bad idea cause rocket arty has full damage against green cover. There are also other units that are strong against green cover like flamethrowers or AVRE.

Yellow cover from craters is almost always a good idea because it doesn't tend to let squads clump up, unlike most natural yellow cover.

The green cover bonus on gunshields is strange and you shouldn't rely on it. It only works from certain angles in certain cases.

I have been guilty of not putting an HMG that is covering a star behind green cover, then getting wiped by a blob of infantry. That makes sense. Do you recommend leaving an HMG behind to cover a point of interest, such as stars/fuel/muni? I also try to put mines on flanking routes, but should I be constantly pushing/moving up with them to be aggressive?
14 Nov 2020, 19:38 PM

Do you recommend leaving an HMG behind to cover a point of interest, such as stars/fuel/muni? Or should I be constantly pushing/moving up with them to be aggressive?

In the early game you should definitely use an MG actively to win fights and gain map control, this is especially important for Ostheer or USF.

Later on once the map stabilizes and aggressive mg use becomes harder to pull off, it's fine to use an mg more passively, but don't just leave it in a corner at this point, you still want it around your main army. The center VP is usually a good spot to keep your MG around. If you manage to control the center of the map, it gives you many opportunities to gain control over the rest of the map.

At an even later point in the game, when everything just becomes a VP struggle, it's fine to keep minimally supported MG's around VP's and other important locations just to slow the opponent down, micro is sparse at this point. Only thing you want is avoiding them getting wiped and slightly repositioning them after your opponent walks into it.

Using an MG aggressively is really strong, but it gets harder/riskier the further into the game you get. Here's a top 10 player using 2 MG's really aggressively in the early game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FmMDU5BQes but even he decides around the 8 minute mark to just mostly let them guard his 2 VPs once his momentum slows down.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 45
Germany 8
unknown 6
unknown 3
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L