Login

russian armor

Elo System Automatch vs Players

6 Sep 2020, 19:09 PM

Does the matchmaking system consider player skill? It seems like my winrate has been very low for quite some time now. Shouldn't I be playing against worse enemies at some point, or does the matchmaking system not consider player skill/winrate?
6 Sep 2020, 19:47 PM

It sure tries to, but... it just kinda doesn´t work

Either there arent enough players of the desired skill level or its other factors like someone losing their rank (due to inactivity) faster than their skill, etc
7 Sep 2020, 00:05 AM

It sure tries to, but... it just kinda doesn´t work

Either there arent enough players of the desired skill level or its other factors like someone losing their rank (due to inactivity) faster than their skill, etc

That's just false. It works very well. I'm tired of people claiming otherwise. The playerbase is quite small and there's not a big pool of noobies. The fact that the search expands over time is NOT a sign of matchmaking not working. It's a simple trade off between search time and even matchups that can be easily negated by restarting the search.
7 Sep 2020, 12:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Sep 2020, 19:09 PMUrist
Does the matchmaking system consider player skill? It seems like my winrate has been very low for quite some time now. Shouldn't I be playing against worse enemies at some point, or does the matchmaking system not consider player skill/winrate?

The matchmaker only looks at the ELO number, which is hidden for us unfortunately. But if you are rank 1 on Wehr 1v1 ladder for example, it means you have the highest ELO number out of all wehr 1v1 players.

The "search radius" or how you wanna call it, gets bigger and bigger the longer your search.

So if I am rank 1 for example:
In the first minute, the system looks for mates and enemies within the top 10 approximately.

In the second minute within top 50 approx., in the third within top 100 etc etc.

If no match was found within 8 minutes, you get dumped into a complete random match where it's possible that your teammates are rank 10.000 and the enemies top 200 & vice versa.

7 Sep 2020, 12:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Sep 2020, 00:05 AMGiaA

It's a simple trade off between search time and even matchups that can be easily negated by restarting the search.

Sadly, you can be on the receiving end of this 8 minute rule that I explained above too, before the timer runs out. Sometimes I found a game after 30 seconds and thought "wow this must be a very fair game" and when I checked ranks I saw one side got trolled hard by the matchmaker, probably because they searched for 8 minutes and I got dumped into their game
7 Sep 2020, 12:39 PM

Sadly, you can be on the receiving end of this 8 minute rule that I explained above too, before the timer runs out. Sometimes I found a game after 30 seconds and thought "wow this must be a very fair game" and when I checked ranks I saw one side got trolled hard by the matchmaker, probably because they searched for 8 minutes and I got dumped into their game

true, but in my experience in 1v1 and 2v2 this rarely happens if you restart every few minutes. May very well be different in teamgames.
7 Sep 2020, 15:45 PM

Yeah, maybe there are just too few players with a low skill. I will probably just have to live with losing a lot of games for quite a while. Thanks for the answers
7 Sep 2020, 16:27 PM

Just yesterday I started searching a 4v4 game. And got a game almost immediately where enemy teams was all 570 or above. Our best player was around 570 and we had a 9352 and a 10563 player.

Alt-F4 soon follwed.

Yes sometimes the match maker just plain sucks ass. Not always but many times. And it is happening more and more as there are fewer players and we lose players faster due to the shitty matchups.
7 Sep 2020, 16:40 PM

The most frustration thing about it, is how teamgames are searched for pre-mades and in general team lvl.

You usually can see rank 16-19 players playing pre-mades, and having their team rank at 11 or 12 and being matched against players with 11 and 12 ranks.
3 Nov 2020, 04:28 AM

Just yesterday I started searching a 4v4 game. And got a game almost immediately where enemy teams was all 570 or above. Our best player was around 570 and we had a 9352 and a 10563 player.

Alt-F4 soon follwed.

Yes sometimes the match maker just plain sucks ass. Not always but many times. And it is happening more and more as there are fewer players and we lose players faster due to the shitty matchups.

Enemy team was a pre-made.
Your team was a random.
3 Nov 2020, 04:33 AM

Enemy team was a pre-made.
Your team was a random.

The enemy was not a premade. They all had different ranks.
3 Nov 2020, 04:42 AM

The enemy was not a premade. They all had different ranks.

Doesn't mean it wasn't a pre-made :)
3 Nov 2020, 05:07 AM

Doesn't mean it wasn't a pre-made :)

Yes. Yes it does. Now they could have sniped together to falsely boost their ranks though :thumb:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 59
unknown 18
Germany 14
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %