Login

russian armor

Potential economic system

20 Aug 2020, 17:04 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

In dawn of war 2 (maybe it is just the elite mod), income from points increases over time. I was curious if you could do this for Company of Heroes 2 and you can. This could add a bit more strategic depth in the game. Decapturing a point would cause more fuel and munitions income damage rather than an inconvenience. It would also reset all cut off sectors causing even more damage and give even more of a focus to focus cut off points and cause new abilities to more 'damage' such as Encirclement's Break Supply Line.
20 Aug 2020, 18:10 PM

Well, in theory its cool and might be worth a little thought, but...

It aint like cutoffs arent cancerous and annoying enough as it is, and more hurting the game´s dynamic rather than helping it
20 Aug 2020, 20:59 PM

Well, thats one good suggestion
MMX
21 Aug 2020, 06:52 AM

that's quite interesting indeed, although it may be a bit too late to revamp coh2's economy in any dramatic fashion.
still a great idea maybe for a potential sequel and kudos for the in-game implementation.
21 Aug 2020, 13:42 PM

Shoutout to Dawn of War 2 elite mod. I'm glad they're keeping my favourite DoW alive.
21 Aug 2020, 13:50 PM

In dawn of war 2 (maybe it is just the elite mod), income from points increases over time. I was curious if you could do this for Company of Heroes 2 and you can.

How did you do this? Clone the strategic point and add a delayed change target action for mp/muni/fuel tick increase?

21 Aug 2020, 14:08 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Aug 2020, 13:50 PMArtigo

How did you do this? Clone the strategic point and add a delayed change target action for mp/muni/fuel tick increase?

I shortened the delays for the video.
21 Aug 2020, 14:29 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

In dawn of war 2 (maybe it is just the elite mod), income from points increases over time. I was curious if you could do this for Company of Heroes 2 and you can. This could add a bit more strategic depth in the game. Decapturing a point would cause more fuel and munitions income damage rather than an inconvenience. It would also reset all cut off sectors causing even more damage and give even more of a focus to focus cut off points and cause new abilities to more 'damage' such as Encirclement's Break Supply Line.

I condemn this witchery and demand Ægion must be burned at the stake!

(very nice job though)
21 Aug 2020, 14:31 PM

I shortened the delays for the video.

Thank you. Are the territory_points standardized for all maps? I am assuming they are since there is an applicable epbs
21 Aug 2020, 14:45 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Aug 2020, 14:31 PMArtigo

Thank you. Are the territory_points standardized for all maps? I am assuming they are since there is an applicable epbs

I think so. There are mp and non mp so there is a difference there as well as other points for campaign stuff. But, I do believe the point entities ending _mp are all the same in which the maps themselves determine the capture area and etc.
21 Aug 2020, 14:57 PM

Creating all this content and not even employed by relic, might want to turn in your job application :)
21 Aug 2020, 14:58 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Creating all this content and not even employed by relic, might want to turn in your job application :)

Already done, but I only know JavaScript not C++.
21 Aug 2020, 17:32 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Concept wise i really like it.

With this, and what i had read from Bao/Relicaa mod* regarding economy, i think there's more room to discuss possibles ways to depth the economy system of future CoH title.

*In case anyone haven't read it, basically popcap mp upkeep is dynamic and repairing incurs in a mp gain penalty to offset pure vehicles builds.
21 Aug 2020, 19:12 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Welp, I decided to add the economic system to my mod if you want to try it out. with inherently lower fuel and munitions income, the game should slow down a bit in regards to vehicle play. Other than that, I have no idea how it is going to play out.

Standard points provide +2 manpower, +2 fuel, and +2 munitions initially. After 2 minutes all the amounts increase by two. After 4 minutes all the amounts increase by two was well.

Fuel and munition points increase by 5 after 2 minutes and additional 5 after 4 minutes of being captured.
21 Aug 2020, 19:52 PM

*In case anyone haven't read it, basically popcap mp upkeep is dynamic and repairing incurs in a mp gain penalty to offset pure vehicles builds.

Assuming I understand what you're saying correctly, I think Coh1 already had systems like that but they weren't carried over to Coh2 for whatever reason.
21 Aug 2020, 20:27 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Assuming I understand what you're saying correctly, I think Coh1 already had systems like that but they weren't carried over to Coh2 for whatever reason.

It might be a snowballing mechanic.
22 Aug 2020, 18:01 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Right now, every point of popcap is equal. It reduces mp gain by 1.5. By making it dynamic you can either increase or decrease this value based on how much pop you have. In case of the mod, the popcap penalty is inferior at lower values and bigger after 50 pop. But TBH it cautiously set so low that you would barely notice it.

Depending on how you setup it, it's an anti snowball mechanic.

22 Aug 2020, 20:44 PM

You would have to change map design entirely to fit this new mechanic.

I was playing elite mod for a while and got 2nd place in a B bracket tourney so here's my thoughts.

There's a reason why Dow2's eco works. There are no cutoffs, only Requisition points mature, and requsitions feeds into power which is the "fuel" of the Dow2. There is no requirement in getting resources other than capturing a point in Coh2 but in Dow2 you have to invest 125 + 3x100 requsition to get a fully operation power farm which the enemy can bash. Dow2 is all about aggressively decapping and destroying power farm to set the enemy back and there's a lot of mobility offered in that game not present in Coh2. That system wouldn't work here because inherently some points will never get decapped in coh because there's not enough movement mechanics to support such a play.
23 Aug 2020, 14:48 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

You would have to change map design entirely to fit this new mechanic.

I was playing elite mod for a while and got 2nd place in a B bracket tourney so here's my thoughts.

There's a reason why Dow2's eco works. There are no cutoffs, only Requisition points mature, and requsitions feeds into power which is the "fuel" of the Dow2. There is no requirement in getting resources other than capturing a point in Coh2 but in Dow2 you have to invest 125 + 3x100 requsition to get a fully operation power farm which the enemy can bash. Dow2 is all about aggressively decapping and destroying power farm to set the enemy back and there's a lot of mobility offered in that game not present in Coh2. That system wouldn't work here because inherently some points will never get decapped in coh because there's not enough movement mechanics to support such a play.

There is potential for more mobile units. Kubel, M3A1 Scout Car, WC51, and Universal Carrier all could take another look at. I have a video being rendered right now how to balance them, but it could become mobile capture, support, and flanking units.
24 Aug 2020, 10:57 AM

There is potential for more mobile units. Kubel, M3A1 Scout Car, WC51, and Universal Carrier all could take another look at. I have a video being rendered right now how to balance them, but it could become mobile capture, support, and flanking units.

Not after 5 minutes.

Imo, reducing the fuel income from territory point by 1 should already reduce the game path. And probably already creates new balance issues between factions.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★