Login

russian armor

Luchs II, why should you use it?

9 Aug 2020, 14:51 PM

I've been using more Luftwaffe doctrine in my games, and build for T3/T4 rather than T2/T4.

I've found that flak emplacements are good for snaring elite infantry, but the only play when I build T3 is the Luchs or Puma.

I understand that it's supposed to be an AI/Scout tank, but it doesn't have the killing power of a T70, gets owned by a T70 when it hits the field, and one Conscript AT grenade makes it absolutely exposed.

I find myself going for the Puma that can smash light vehicles better, and can take out a T70.

Am I using the Luchs II wrong? What am I missing? I'd honestly rather have a clown car than a Luchs II because of its dual purpose capability and the flame projectors are very effective.

What say you?
9 Aug 2020, 19:11 PM

Pretty sure that its the second highest AI DPS of its category, right after the T70 which currently has to carry a whole faction

(Which ofc aint the best design)

So try to use it patiently, vetting up, supporting infantry by turning around potentially bad engagements and bait snaring infantry to run at you

Also, forcing someone to get an AT, is, in case that AT doesnt swiftly kill your shit, will still put you ahead
12 Aug 2020, 16:31 PM

Luchs is maybe my favourite OKW unit. Get it as early as you can, micro closely and keep it at the right distance (never let it get snared), and run it around the map killing stuff.

As adamircz says it will force an AT unit from your enemy - then just run it to the other side of the map. Once more serious AT comes out, hang back with it and use it now and then for support, or to push off lone squads trying to cap, etc.
12 Aug 2020, 17:39 PM

Luchs is lean mean AI DPS machine that OKW needs to match the AI of the two western factions mainline infantry after early game. It justification to volks being damage sponges so using luchs in tandem with them is a great synergy. But because the 3v3 and 4v4 are higher tempo luchs gets quickly out ATd out of effectivity which is why OKW players usually opt for stuka zu fus instead.
12 Aug 2020, 18:10 PM

Much better to get Puma instead. It counters all Allied LVs and helps a lot against medium tanks when kept alive. It also does better than people think against infantry. Yes it does not have great DPS and wont wipe anything but you can use it to push units out of cover, let it shoot at units in cover to destroy the cover so your Volks win the engagement and on top of that the Puma actually racks up a few infantry kills too with a combination of steady MG DPS and RNG shots deleting single models. It's often enough to have the Puma around to give the needed edge to win infantry engagements.

Almost all the recent tournaments featured heavy Puma use and little usage of Luchs, there is a reason for that.

Luchs can still be good vs. Soviets because it actually has a good window of opportunity before T70 arrives and even then won't be countered too hard anyway because the T70 needs a long time to actually kill a Luchs, long enough to get Volks and Raketenwerfer to safe it. AEC hardcounters it before it even hits the field, Stuart arrives at the same time of Luchs and also hardcounters it.
12 Aug 2020, 20:18 PM

I would say that Luches has it's use against the odd SOV opponent who goes Tier 1. It's an easy way to counter the early pressure that Scout Car and Penals can put on you. If they go pure Penals then PTRS and AT Satchels should never slow down Luches for long. Bonus is that Puma is available if t70 gives you trouble later.
13 Aug 2020, 02:01 AM

Much better to get Puma instead. It counters all Allied LVs and helps a lot against medium tanks when kept alive. It also does better than people think against infantry. Yes it does not have great DPS and wont wipe anything but you can use it to push units out of cover, let it shoot at units in cover to destroy the cover so your Volks win the engagement and on top of that the Puma actually racks up a few infantry kills too with a combination of steady MG DPS and RNG shots deleting single models. It's often enough to have the Puma around to give the needed edge to win infantry engagements.

Almost all the recent tournaments featured heavy Puma use and little usage of Luchs, there is a reason for that.

Luchs can still be good vs. Soviets because it actually has a good window of opportunity before T70 arrives and even then won't be countered too hard anyway because the T70 needs a long time to actually kill a Luchs, long enough to get Volks and Raketenwerfer to safe it. AEC hardcounters it before it even hits the field, Stuart arrives at the same time of Luchs and also hardcounters it.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. I much prefer a Puma to a Luchs because of its scaleability. Late game; a Luchs is very vulnerable; to AT penals, to Zis AT guns, to ANY light/medium tank, and Conscripts have a nade that reliably snares it.

For its cost, its just not good enough. Would be a better choice if its fuel cost was 30/40 rather than 60. And since it can't take on a T70, would like to see it get a movement speed buff.
15 Aug 2020, 00:45 AM

Just don't get snared and keep infantry in front of it to spot and dissuade light vehicles and you should be fine. It's got great AI performance and will help you put a lot of pressure on in combination with the rest of your army.
20 Aug 2020, 08:49 AM

Luchs is terrible in 2v2, but better in 1v1 I think. For 2v2 go puma+stuka or early P4 with battlegrp
20 Aug 2020, 10:48 AM

I've been having some surprising success in 3v3s with the Luchs, if the enemy don't go AEC. USF are forced to either be shot off the field and AT guns kited mercilessly or go zooka heavy which results in your Obers walking over them later. UKF inf are similar but if the AEC gets the jump on you, you're finished. Otoh with the ubiquitous Bren spammers out there, Luchs can punish them very hard if they stick to rigid doctrine. SU cons are nice vet farms. A lone PTRS penal will not cut it vs a Luchs 1v1 without the Satchel.

They are excellent cap interceptors and shred through the usual troublemakers of commandoes/shocks/SMG rangers etc.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★