Login

russian armor

Partisan Tactics Rework

25 Jul 2020, 13:40 PM

Just make partisans a bit more flexible imo.

2 upgrades for normal partisans

Give Partisan a 5th man similar to cons at T4. +1 Model, -Reinforce cost, +RA (both in and out of cover to reflect their role as more than just cover sitters). Maybe give them tactical advance ripped from airborne or stormtroopers, to reinforce their role as "all gank no tank" infantry.

Give Partisan an upgrade for 60 muni (or 80 muni) that replaces their PPSHs with guard Mosins (Or Gren Kar, whatever is balanced) and a LMG of some descript (Be it DPs or LMG42). Locks out the 5th man upgrade, gives them cover bonus similar to Cons or UK Inf (dependent on balans), maybe even the suppressive fire ability ripped from US airborne? It also loses the Molotov, because long range troop now.

The 1st one makes them scale. Less likely to get booped by HE and a bit stronger.

The 2nd one change their engagement profile so if the enemy goes all-in on strong CQ inf, they don't have to fight them head-on. They should still 100% lose against grenadiers in open field battles, but they should win if they use their 1st strike bonus/ abilities properly.
25 Jul 2020, 22:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2020, 23:00 PMKatitof

Well then, let me share a history knowledge with you:
A whole fucking lot of soviet partisans were whole encircled battalions and armies who hid in civilian population, trained willing civilians and coordinated actions with HQ when communication was possible.
Many of them were civilians indeed, but many of them were full trained soldiers in plain clothes.

That is why I wrote that the name Partisans implies that they are untrained civilians, even though, as you point out, most soviet partisans were trained soldiers/reservists in civilian clothes.

From my experience, people seem to associate the word Partisans more with civilians, while Irregulars sounds more militaristic. That’s why I though a name change to Irregulars would be appropriate if they got combat buffs.
25 Jul 2020, 22:53 PM

The problem with something like that is there's really no counterplay, nothing the other player can do to mitigate or avoid it, it'll just happen. It wouldn't be interesting or fun to play against.

Now that you point it out, the ability does seem pretty annoying and forces your opponent to play around the ability, though I think that can be said of abilities like “For the Fatherland” or “For mother Russia”.

It would do the same thing, just in a different way. “FtF” and “FmR” help force your opponent off the field and help you kill more squad members, thereby increasing reinforce times, and allow you to rush forwards with your infantry to disrupt repairs, while “Dsl” would not help kill more enemy units, but would passively increase reinforce and repair times.

I think “Disrupt supply lines” could work, but also could be broken. In the end, I think the balance team wouldn’t take the risk. I just wanted to put the idea out there for flavour.
26 Jul 2020, 00:15 AM

I wouldnt mind paying 250mp for partisans if they had more health and armor. Once the element of surprise is gone the partisans greatly suffer. Late game the only viable partisan is the AT partisan.

Another option would be make them T0 Main line infantry unit. They start off costing 240 Manpower and can be built at HQ. They start off with rifles and can be upgraded with HQ weapon tech to tech up to either CQB or Anti-Tank Panzershreck team. This could free up a slot in the commander abilities for something more useful to enhance partisans.

AT Partisans can spawn with AT Rifles while Regular partisans spawn with rifles. Once HQ Partisan weapon cache is upgraded they can get a free weapon upgrade to PPSH and 1 Panzershreck. AT partisans can upgrade to another Panzershreck for 50 munitions meanwhile regular partisans can upgrade to Irregulars with SVTs or can be upgraded with STGs to be more effective at long range. A third possible upgrade could be demolition partisans that can plant booby traps at points and demolition charges.

To make the mainline partisans work they need 1 more models & armor at a cost increase of 240 and have ambush camo by default. Once T3 or infantry tech is accomplished the partisans should benefit with another model for late game viability. Ill make an image of the tech tree for partisans when i get a chance.
26 Jul 2020, 03:58 AM
26 Jul 2020, 04:07 AM

There are other partisan units/unit icons in the game that can be incorporated. Considering new models cant be made then why not use old ones.

Anti Infantry Partisan(used to be Partisan Irregular Unit Icon)

Old Partisan Icon

Tank Hunter Partisan

Campaign Partisan MG unit (stolen German MMG)

Campaign Partisan Mortar Unit (stolen German Mortar)

Unused partisan Health Upgrade

Unused Female Partisan
26 Jul 2020, 12:37 PM

Oh,why not make SMG or other squad be weapon upgrade for normal Partisan
27 Jul 2020, 05:59 AM

This is very well thought out, props to that. That said I disagree with a fundamental issue of that being a replacement infantry. Thematically I like to think of Partisans as a more 'behind the scenes' unit, maybe more like Ostheer Stormtroopers.

Oh,why not make SMG or other squad be weapon upgrade for normal Partisan

I have sort of thought of another way to do it, allow Partisan Sappers to upgrade to Tank Hunters for free, replacing their abilities in the process. Tank Hunter Package may be linked to Partisan SMG squad's Command Point so you cannot access it early on.

That would reduce the number of units by 1 and open up a slot for an ability. I'm split on what the ability could be though. I've come up with 2 proposals, each with their own ups and downs.
  • Disruption: Enemy Sectors have their resources cut in half for the duration of the ability or until an enemy unit enters the sector. Interesting idea that can be countered, but is heavily map dependent and may get out of hand on team games.

• Common Defense: AI controlled Partisans with a variety of weapons occupy buildings and cover within a friendly sector and attack enemy units that come into range for the duration of the ability, until all Partisans are eliminated, or until the sector is captured.

The problem with Disruption is it conflicts with a new idea I had for Partisan Sappers to also take on a role of discreetly sapping a sector's resource income, like the CoH1 Funkwagen. The problem with Common Defense is that there's no real precedent for AI controlled soldiers taking the field, and I am unsure how viable it would be.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 24
Germany 536

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment